Newbie help with flow studio
  • JJ
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    Hi Guys,

Trying to compile my first C program using Flow Studio and hitting a snag straight away. I guess this might be a path issue trying to find the header files or whatever but not sure where it should be set. Though it looks like more that it cant find the source file. I have the MorphOS sdk in installed. Anyway code I am trying to compile is below with the error.

Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
    {
      printf("Hello World!n");
      return 0;
    }

# Build Start ###
    MorphOS:Applications/FlowStudio/Makefile:100: warning: overriding commands for target `Hello'
    MorphOS:Applications/FlowStudio/Makefile:73: warning: ignoring old commands for target `Hello'
    linking Hello
    ppc-morphos-gcc-5: fatal error: no input files
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [Hello] Error 1
    ### Build End ###

The source files never show in the source file list under the project even if I click new file on the soruce file node ?

[ Edited by JJ 15.04.2018 - 11:26 ]
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2
  • »15.04.18 - 10:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Add your hello.c to Source Files in the Work Space tab.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »15.04.18 - 11:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • JJ
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    Quote:

Korni wrote:
    Add your hello.c to Source Files in the Work Space tab.

I figured this, as I said If I do new files, or add files they never show up under sources files list. How do I do this ?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

• »15.04.18 - 12:41
    Kronos
    Just tried and ran into no problem:

- "New Project" -> save were you please I just dropped it into ram:
    - write sourcefile
    - save it (ram: again in my case)
    - "Add project files"
    - hit the hammer (aka make)
    - run

The whole workspace,project and session stuff can be quite confusing.....
  • »15.04.18 - 12:55
  • JJ
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Just tried and ran into no problem:

- "New Project" -> save were you please I just dropped it into ram:
    - write sourcefile
    - save it (ram: again in my case)
    - "Add project files"
    - hit the hammer (aka make)
    - run

The whole workspace,project and session stuff can be quite confusing.....

That was what I had been doing. I have worked out the issue. Seems the source files have to end .c if you are creating a c project or it ignores the file when you add it to the project

• »15.04.18 - 13:11
    Kronos
    Actually I'd bet it didn't ignore it but just added as an resource file.

Which off course for all practical purposes is the same......
  • »15.04.18 - 13:16
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

JJ wrote:
    That was what I had been doing. I have worked out the issue. Seems the source files have to end .c if you are creating a c project or it ignores the file when you add it to the project

Source files can be

C: "#?.c"
    C++: "#?.(c(c|pp|xx))"
    ObjC: "#?(.m|mm)"

Similar filters for header files and otherwise the file is categorised as a resource. It is extremely uncommon to have a C source file not ending *.c so it's better that you take the habit of naming your files like that already from the beginning.

Hopefully some tutorials and example projects for FlowStudio will become available one day. It can indeed be a bit of challenge to figure this stuff out if you're new to it but don't give up! Keep asking questions both here and on irc :-)

Best,

Nicholai
  • »15.04.18 - 13:53
  • JJ
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    Quote:

JJ wrote:

Source files can be

C: "#?.c"
    C++: "#?.(c(c|pp|xx))"
    ObjC: "#?(.m|mm)"

Similar filters for header files and otherwise the file is categorised as a resource. It is extremely uncommon to have a C source file not ending *.c so it's better that you take the habit of naming your files like that already from the beginning.

Hopefully some tutorials and example projects for FlowStudio will become available one day. It can indeed be a bit of challenge to figure this stuff out if you're new to it but don't give up! Keep asking questions both here and on irc :-)

Best,

Nicholai

Thanks will keep at it. Learning C at the same time:) Luckily not too much of a syntax issue moving from Java :) Just all the other differences to get over :)

• »15.04.18 - 15:03
  • JJ
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    looks like either the charging circuit or the power pack has just given up the ghost on on my powerbook. Was that hot electronic smell and laptop been on for weeks :(

• »15.04.18 - 17:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

JJ wrote:
    looks like either the charging circuit or the power pack has just given up the ghost on on my powerbook. Was that hot electronic smell and laptop been on for weeks :(

That sucks, did you clean it out after you recieved/bought it? That is the first thing I think of doing when I buy, or have given to me, old electronic equipment. With computers, I sometimes also remove all heat sinks, and apply new thermal paste. Depending on what kind of environment the electronics come from, they can be extremely dusty inside, as most people never open up the case of anything, to clean the dust out.

I hope you can fix it, but if not, maybe you can use it for spare parts, and find another one just like it, to replace the dead one.

Good luck with your learning of "C/C++", I hope you don't give up because of this set back.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »15.04.18 - 22:57
  • JJ
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

JJ wrote:

That sucks, did you clean it out after you recieved/bought it? That is the first thing I think of doing when I buy, or have given to me, old electronic equipment. With computers, I sometimes also remove all heat sinks, and apply new thermal paste. Depending on what kind of environment the electronics come from, they can be extremely dusty inside, as most people never open up the case of anything, to clean the dust out.

I hope you can fix it, but if not, maybe you can use it for spare parts, and find another one just like it, to replace the dead one.

Good luck with your learning of "C/C++", I hope you don't give up because of this set back.

I have had the laptop for some time, but had not really used it much since I bought it. I have tried resetting the power manager to no avail.

Will try a new power supply next (only a tenner) , if that doesn't work guess will be time to look for a new one or maybe a G5. Not had much luck my mac mini broke too. i wonder if they will let me move my registration a second time.

• »16.04.18 - 09:04
  • JJ
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    Quote:

JJ wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

JJ wrote:

I have had the laptop for some time, but had not really used it much since I bought it. I have tried resetting the power manager to no avail.

Will try a new power supply next (only a tenner) , if that doesn't work guess will be time to look for a new one or maybe a G5. Not had much luck my mac mini broke too. i wonder if they will let me move my registration a second time.

£10 charger from amazon has saved the day :) :) :) :) no light on end to show when its charging but I'm just happy don't have to for out on some more kit :) :)

• »17.04.18 - 19:17