Screen Prefs: Enhanced vs Non=Enhanced crashes
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    Good day,

Up until now, I have been using non-enhanced screen mode settings in order to save some VRAM. After installing 3.10, I could get it to crash after a bit of usage. From dragging a window to trying to play a video in MPlayer, it would cause the system to either freeze, drop the screen mode and throw my monitor into a "invalid resolution", or start to draw random artifacts on the screen depending how the window is being dragged.

I decided to enable the Enhanced screen mode option, and it has fixed it from doing random crashes. The downside is that users with Mac Mini G4 computers with limited 32MB VRam, it can get consumed pretty fast. I just run a 1280x720 resolution on my MDD Mac with a stock Radeon 9000 Pro video card, which I believe has 64MB VRam. Either way, hope this helps some of you out there.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »27.03.18 - 00:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    It has to be something more than just not using enhanced screen. I don't use enhanced mode and the system runs fine. Run logtool in the background and look for the suspects :).
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »27.03.18 - 10:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ Doffo

Did you change anything about your configuration after upgrading? Window skin, etc.?
  • »27.03.18 - 10:38
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    @ASiegel

I kept it all the same, only changed from non-enhanced to enhanced. I can keep replicating the crash when its not enhanced. Even dragging an mp3 file into AmigAMP will cause the error log to come up.

@Korni

I will have a look, but even last night I had MOS running for 4 hours without a hitch when I had the screenmode on enhanced. MPlayer played videos, kept loading Quake III on and off for random rounds, and kept loading Odyssey on and off downloading random things. Not one crash. :) Just that moment I turn it off, then things will eventually crash.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »27.03.18 - 14:01
    Profile Visit Website