DVD not working with MorphOS
  • Just looking around
    halvor
    Posts: 5 from 2017/11/21
    From: Budapest
    Hi All,


    somebody (and sorry for not being able to recall the name) already suggested a workaround on #morphos, but I don't really know how to get it done.

    I have a PowerBook 1,67Ghz 15" HiRes, the A1138 model which I managed to buy without a DVD drive. I also have an older PowerBook with a working optical drive, and I put that drive in the A1138. It was working with Linux in the A1138, and it was working with MorphOS in the old PowerBook, but not with MorphOS in the "new" machine. As I've been told by a pro on IRC, this could be a jumper issue (master/slave IDE thing), which could be fixed by flashing the drive's firmware (as there were no physical jumpers, as far as I remember, on the drive).

    It's really not that important to have the drive working, but would be nice. Mainly just to get to know more about how things work -- I am not an IT person.


    Best,
    Halvor
  • »28.12.17 - 20:12
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Amigaharry2
    Posts: 537 from 2010/1/6
    From: EU-Austria (Wien)
    What do you mean? You can't boot MOS from CD or you dont find the DVD-drive, once MOS is running?
    1xPeg2, PowerMac G5, PowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T, A3000D and life is never boring.....
  • »29.12.17 - 08:12
    Profile
  • Just looking around
    halvor
    Posts: 5 from 2017/11/21
    From: Budapest
    Quote:

    Amigaharry2 wrote:
    What do you mean? You can't boot MOS from CD or you dont find the DVD-drive, once MOS is running?





    Hi, there’s simply no sign of the DVD drive in MorphOS. However it was working fine in Linux and with MorphOS in another PowerBook.
  • »02.01.18 - 17:56
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    NewSense
    Posts: 623 from 2012/11/10
    From: Manchester, UK...
    Maybe the cable is faulty - if the cable is the correct one in the first place?
    The A1138 OPTICAL DRIVE part number is: 821-0392-A / 632-0357-A.

    You need to use the correct ribbon connector for the specific PowerBook, though hopefully you already know this, and this is not the issue here. ;-)

    Have you removed an A1138 cable from one machine, and fitted it in the other A1138?
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, Model 10.2, 64MB VRam, 250GB HDD, 1GB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, DVD-RW-DL+CD-RW, Iomega MiniMax, Belkin 6 port 3 x Firewire/3 x USB2, MorphOS 3.9, Mac OS X 10.4 & 10.5 & A1138 Powerbook MOS v3.9, Model 5,8 (Also
  • »03.01.18 - 01:48
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Amigaharry2
    Posts: 537 from 2010/1/6
    From: EU-Austria (Wien)
    Please try following:

    Open UnitControl! Can you see it here?

    If not: Go to Open Firmware, insert a CD and enter following:

    >eject CD
    or
    >eject ide1 (if CD-drive is set as slave)

    If CD is ejected, your drive is recognized by firmware and we have to look why MOS doesn't.
    If not you really may have a problem with your cable or plugs (data and/or power)

    Edit FYI:
    There may be no definition (devalias) for ide1 in OF of your PB. In normal case your HD is .../disk@0 and CD-Drive is .../disk@1 (other PB may be have different settings). In that case eject ide1 won't work.
    Some CD-drives can be set as Master or Slave. My experience is, that this makes on most Power-Apples (witch have Open Firmware), no difference to which it is set, but not on all! On one PB OF had troubles to find such a drive. Astonishingly OSX and MOS find it - but only after system is booted up - it was not possible to boot from that drive. After setting it to SLAVE it runs normal.....maybe your problem is similar...
    1xPeg2, PowerMac G5, PowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T, A3000D and life is never boring.....
  • »03.01.18 - 09:16
    Profile
  • Just looking around
    halvor
    Posts: 5 from 2017/11/21
    From: Budapest
    Quote:

    Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Please try following:

    Open UnitControl! Can you see it here?

    If not: Go to Open Firmware, insert a CD and enter following:

    >eject CD
    or
    >eject ide1 (if CD-drive is set as slave)

    If CD is ejected, your drive is recognized by firmware and we have to look why MOS doesn't.
    If not you really may have a problem with your cable or plugs (data and/or power)

    Edit FYI:
    There may be no definition (devalias) for ide1 in OF of your PB. In normal case your HD is .../disk@0 and CD-Drive is .../disk@1 (other PB may be have different settings). In that case eject ide1 won't work.
    Some CD-drives can be set as Master or Slave. My experience is, that this makes on most Power-Apples (witch have Open Firmware), no difference to which it is set, but not on all! On one PB OF had troubles to find such a drive. Astonishingly OSX and MOS find it - but only after system is booted up - it was not possible to boot from that drive. After setting it to SLAVE it runs normal.....maybe your problem is similar...


    Hi,

    thanks for the detailed description. I’ve tried the OF eject cd command, and it worked perfectly. Also I was able to use the drive in this machine with Linux (never booted from it, I always use a USB key for that) to play audio CDs and to some extent, DVDs. I also reinstalled MorphOS to try if that helps — no luck.

    UnitControl in MorphOS only lists the HDD, which I am about to upgrade to an SSD (the Delock 44-pin IDE to mSATA way). Maybe I could just imstall the HDD into the optical drive bay and leave it like that — if it works. It would be nice to have an optical drive since none of my other computers have any. But honestly, I don’t really see if I’d ever use it.

    BR,
    halvor
  • »03.01.18 - 11:33
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Amigaharry2
    Posts: 537 from 2010/1/6
    From: EU-Austria (Wien)
    That is a bit strange!
    One more thing to test in Open Firmware:

    Insert a data-CD and enter following:

    >dir cd:\

    Now you should see the content of the CD. If you do, then data-transfer over IDE and filesystem is also working properly - you can be sure now, that your CD-drive is OK (which naturaly should be, because you can see it under Linux and MacOS).

    And if everything above is ok, the question: why doesn't see it under MOS ??
    Do you have perhaps some alien-CD-drivers in your DEVS: ?
    1xPeg2, PowerMac G5, PowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T, A3000D and life is never boring.....
  • »03.01.18 - 12:31
    Profile
  • Just looking around
    halvor
    Posts: 5 from 2017/11/21
    From: Budapest
    Quote:

    Amigaharry2 wrote:
    That is a bit strange!
    One more thing to test in Open Firmware:

    Insert a data-CD and enter following:

    >dir cd:\

    Now you should see the content of the CD. If you do, then data-transfer over IDE and filesystem is also working properly - you can be sure now, that your CD-drive is OK (which naturaly should be, because you can see it under Linux and MacOS).

    And if everything above is ok, the question: why doesn't see it under MOS ??
    Do you have perhaps some alien-CD-drivers in your DEVS: ?



    Hello!

    I've checked SYS:Dev and there were nothing unusual. I'm yet to find a data CD to try it under OF, perhaps a Video DVD could do it as well just to check if OF can list the files on that?
  • »04.01.18 - 08:41
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Amigaharry2
    Posts: 537 from 2010/1/6
    From: EU-Austria (Wien)
    A Video-DVD includes also Dirs and files - therefore you may read it under OF.

    For my understanding: The drive is recognised by MacOS and Linux on THIS Powerbook, but not under MOS on the SAME Powerbook? Right?
    1xPeg2, PowerMac G5, PowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T, A3000D and life is never boring.....
  • »04.01.18 - 10:22
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    NewSense
    Posts: 623 from 2012/11/10
    From: Manchester, UK...
    As far as I understand it halvor said. he took a DVD drive out of an older PowerBook, and put it in his A1138 that did not have an optical drive.

    He has not said whether he also fitted the optical drive ribbon flex cable out of the older PowerBook and put it in the A1138 - which as far as I am aware would make for an incompatibility with the hardware as he would almost certainly then have the incorrect ribbon flex cable for the A1138 to test the DVD drive from his older PowerBook.

    That's the reason for my comment #4

    halvor has not commented, up to this point, as to whether the flex cable is the issue as yet, but halvor does not seem to be having much success with other comments already suggested.
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, Model 10.2, 64MB VRam, 250GB HDD, 1GB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, DVD-RW-DL+CD-RW, Iomega MiniMax, Belkin 6 port 3 x Firewire/3 x USB2, MorphOS 3.9, Mac OS X 10.4 & 10.5 & A1138 Powerbook MOS v3.9, Model 5,8 (Also
  • »04.01.18 - 18:12
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Amigaharry2
    Posts: 537 from 2010/1/6
    From: EU-Austria (Wien)
    halvor wrote:

    I have a PowerBook 1,67Ghz 15" HiRes, the A1138 model which I managed to buy without a DVD drive. I also have an older PowerBook with a working optical drive, and I put that drive in the A1138. It was working with Linux in the A1138, and it was working with MorphOS in the old PowerBook, but not with MorphOS in the "new" machine. ....

    All I want to know is, has he tested Linux and MacOS with functioning CD-Drive on the SAME PB where he has now problems under MOS! If this is the case, it cannot be a hardware issue.

    If not, it's a hardware problem!


    [ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 04.01.2018 - 18:31 ]
    1xPeg2, PowerMac G5, PowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T, A3000D and life is never boring.....
  • »04.01.18 - 18:30
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 9738 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > All I want to know is, has he tested Linux and MacOS with functioning CD-Drive
    > on the SAME PB where he has now problems under MOS!

    Isn't the answer in the text you quoted?
  • »05.01.18 - 00:57
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Amigaharry2
    Posts: 537 from 2010/1/6
    From: EU-Austria (Wien)
    I have a PowerBook 1,67Ghz 15" HiRes, the A1138 model which I managed to buy without a DVD drive. I also have an older PowerBook with a working optical drive, and I put that drive in the A1138. It was working with Linux in the A1138, and it was working with MorphOS in the old PowerBook, but not with MorphOS in the "new" machine

    Yeah - but for sure I asked again, because in this case the behavior of this PB and/or CD-drive is very strange. Running with Linux, but not running with MOS in the same PB, without any change of hardware - that's not easy to explain.
    1xPeg2, PowerMac G5, PowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T, A3000D and life is never boring.....
  • »05.01.18 - 17:20
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Amigaharry2
    Posts: 537 from 2010/1/6
    From: EU-Austria (Wien)
    @halvor: I also advice you to read this thread: https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12229&forum=53
    1xPeg2, PowerMac G5, PowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T, A3000D and life is never boring.....
  • »06.01.18 - 11:14
    Profile