number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> https://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1205395

> Although this direct link functions for non-registered users,
    > moderator moved the thread today "Amiga & Phoenix Community >
    > Software - Cloanto buys Amiga?" itself to forum only visible
    > by registered users.

That's a different thread. The above-linked comment is from "Amiga & Phoenix Community > Software - Hyperion vs. Cloanto, et. al. Update" thread.

Yes. I know it is a different thread, which is why I said "although this direct link functions"
    The point being that "Hyperion vs. Cloanto, et. al. update" thread is visisible to non-members whilst Cloanto's purchase is not, because they moved it out of the same s/w sub-directory of your visible thread.
    Surely the recent news is applicable to the lawsuit, so I merely don't see how the recent topic became unworthy of viewing by non members. That was my only point.

• »09.02.19 - 16:35
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Quote:

rob wrote:
    "This experimental port is based on Hyperion's Quake2 sourcecode"

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=game/fps/quake2.lha

The source code is available directly from Capehill's own site.

That is neither Hyperion's binary nor its sourcecode.

He still managed to get the "impossible to get" source code from Hyperion.
  • »09.02.19 - 16:43
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

rob wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Quote:

rob wrote:
    "This experimental port is based on Hyperion's Quake2 sourcecode"

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=game/fps/quake2.lha

The source code is available directly from Capehill's own site.

That is neither Hyperion's binary nor its sourcecode.

He still managed to get the "impossible to get" source code from Hyperion.

Ask him to upload it to Aminet.
  • »09.02.19 - 17:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Why should Hyperion stand in the way of sites legally offering old games
    >> for free download?

> Try it with their version of Quake 2. As GPL [...]

What I was replying to and calling completely made-up nonsense is your claim that Hyperion would stand in the way of legal sites like now-defunct Amiga games website Back2roots appearing again, which had legal permission from the software companies to distribute Amiga games. This has nothing to do with rather modern, non-OCS/ECS/AGA games like Quake 2 or GPL.

> you can request the source

If you have purchased the binaries, you can request the source.
  • »09.02.19 - 18:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> Although this direct link functions for non-registered users,
    >>> moderator moved the thread today "Amiga & Phoenix Community >
    >>> Software - Cloanto buys Amiga?" itself to forum only visible
    >>> by registered users.

>> That's a different thread. The above-linked comment is from "Amiga
    >> & Phoenix Community > Software - Hyperion vs. Cloanto, et. al. Update" thread.

> Yes. I know it is a different thread

Seems I read more into the little word 'itself' than was meant to be ;-)

> Surely the recent news is applicable to the lawsuit, so I merely don't see
    > how the recent topic became unworthy of viewing by non members.

Don't forget that the older thread was not visible to non-members during its entire active time in July/August 2018. It only became visible months later when a1k.org partially re-opened to non-members. So it may be they just forgot to move this thread to member-only area after that, and that they'll move the thread as soon as some member brings it to top by commenting in it ;-)
  • »09.02.19 - 19:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >>> Although this direct link functions for non-registered users,
    >>> moderator moved the thread today "Amiga & Phoenix Community >
    >>> Software - Cloanto buys Amiga?" itself to forum only visible
    >>> by registered users.

>> That's a different thread. The above-linked comment is from "Amiga
    >> & Phoenix Community > Software - Hyperion vs. Cloanto, et. al. Update" thread.

> Yes. I know it is a different thread

Seems I read more into the little word 'itself' than was meant to be ;-)

> Surely the recent news is applicable to the lawsuit, so I merely don't see
    > how the recent topic became unworthy of viewing by non members.

Don't forget that the older thread was not visible to non-members during its entire active time in July/August 2018. It only became visible months later when a1k.org partially re-opened to non-members. So it may be they just forgot to move this thread to member-only area after that, and that they'll move the thread as soon as some member brings it to top by commenting in it ;-)

Point taken.
    Are you hinting that the Cloanto purchase should be added to the bottom of the visible thread to test this theory? (evil grin)

• »09.02.19 - 20:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Are you hinting that the Cloanto purchase should be added to the
    > bottom of the visible thread to test this theory? (evil grin)

Concatenating the two threads would surely lead to the new combined thread having to live in member-only area, so no, I prefer this not being done and better left as it is.
  • »09.02.19 - 21:07
    KennyR
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    "What I was replying to and calling completely made-up nonsense is your claim that Hyperion would stand in the way of legal sites like now-defunct Amiga games website Back2roots appearing again, which had legal permission from the software companies to distribute Amiga games."

They would, of course - if they were in Cloanto's position and had any vested interests in said sites. Because they're an ego-driven, self-interested, cynical, money grabbing, unethical bunch of shitheads who care nothing about the community as long as they can get money. And everyone knows this from Hyperion's track record, your rather anaemic denialism notwithstanding. Nothing is safe, not even GPL. Not even work done for free, apparently.

If they're happy to sell IP they didn't own to companies like Manomio which destroyed the chances of retro games coming back, they would be happy to stab the community in the back over sites like these, if they got their grubby little paws on it. Cloanto are much safer hands.

[ Edited by KennyR 09.02.2019 - 20:33 ]
  • »09.02.19 - 21:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> What I was replying to and calling completely made-up nonsense is your
    >> claim that Hyperion would stand in the way of legal sites like now-defunct
    >> Amiga games website Back2roots appearing again, which had legal
    >> permission from the software companies to distribute Amiga games.

> They would, of course - if they were in Cloanto's position and had any
    > vested interests in said sites. [...] Nothing is safe [...]. [...] they would be
    > happy to stab the community in the back over sites like these

I'm almost inclined to root for Hyperion, just to have you and your paranoid delusions proven wrong :-)
  • »09.02.19 - 22:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Cloanto or C-A Acquisition Corp. did not purchase Amiga Inc.

Cloanto hasn't been known as a hardware company so far.

Come on... Don't split hairs. Someone paid a half million to get them current.

Cloanto hasn't been known as a hardware company, but no reason that wouldn't change now that they are Amiga. Someone could approach Cloanto for a license to the Amiga brand. Could be an "Amiga 500 Mini" which seems to be all the rage these days, slapping a tiny arm board in a small pretty case running an emulator. Or someone could license the name and slap an "Amiga 6000" label on Tallos boards.
  • »10.02.19 - 22:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Cloanto or C-A Acquisition Corp. did not purchase Amiga Inc.

> Someone paid a half million to get them current.

...and a company with the same owner as Cloanto purchased the remaining Amiga IP from them months later.

>> Cloanto hasn't been known as a hardware company so far.

> no reason that wouldn't change now that they are Amiga. Someone
    > could approach Cloanto for a license to the Amiga brand.

This would make Cloanto as much a hardware company as the "Amiga" license given to Philippe Lang, IContain or Commodore USA made Amiga Inc. Delaware a hardware company.
  • »10.02.19 - 23:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Cloanto or C-A Acquisition Corp. did not purchase Amiga Inc.

Cloanto hasn't been known as a hardware company so far.

Come on... Don't split hairs. Someone paid a half million to get them current.

Cloanto hasn't been known as a hardware company, but no reason that wouldn't change now that they are Amiga. Someone could approach Cloanto for a license to the Amiga brand. Could be an "Amiga 500 Mini" which seems to be all the rage these days, slapping a tiny arm board in a small pretty case running an emulator. Or someone could license the name and slap an "Amiga 6000" label on Tallos boards.

Attempting to get clarification on this:
    Source

The part that got me was "the fact that"

• »11.02.19 - 14:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> Cloanto or C-A Acquisition Corp. did not purchase Amiga Inc.

> Someone paid a half million to get them current.

...and a company with the same owner as Cloanto purchased the remaining Amiga IP from them months later.

>> Cloanto hasn't been known as a hardware company so far.

> no reason that wouldn't change now that they are Amiga. Someone
    > could approach Cloanto for a license to the Amiga brand.

This would make Cloanto as much a hardware company as the "Amiga" license given to Philippe Lang, IContain or Commodore USA made Amiga Inc. Delaware a hardware company.

Honorable mention also to Writ Media Group (formerly Writer's Group Film Corp. at the time of transaction).
    This is to this day still the only record of what they think they own:
    Quote:

Imagine you go to a bakery. You don't want to buy the entire bakery,
    just the bagels. The bakery puts the bagels into a plastic bag. They
    hand you the bag and you examine the bagels, pay for them, and take
    them home. Amiga Games Inc, in a business sense, is like the plastic
    bag. First it was owned (or controlled) by Amiga Inc (Bill McEwen),
    Amiga Inc filled it with the stuff Writer's Group wanted to buy.
    Writer's Group examined the contents, paid for it, and took it home.
    (Not a perfect metaphor, but hopefully it helps illustrate the
    relationship between Amiga Inc, Amiga Games Inc, and Writers Group)

Source Pat Roberts

• »11.02.19 - 17:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>>> Cloanto hasn't been known as a hardware company so far.

>>> no reason that wouldn't change now that they are Amiga. Someone
    >>> could approach Cloanto for a license to the Amiga brand.

>> This would make Cloanto as much a hardware company as
    >> the "Amiga" license given to Philippe Lang, IContain or
    >> Commodore USA made Amiga Inc. Delaware a hardware company.

> Honorable mention also to Writ Media Group

Not quite a hardware company as far as I know.
  • »11.02.19 - 18:11
    KennyR
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    I'm almost inclined to root for Hyperion, just to have you and your paranoid delusions proven wrong :-)

No need. Just read the forums from 1999 to 2019. Oh, and remember that they attempted to license the trademark 'Amiga Forever' just last year.

Delusions are things that have no basis in fact or that disappear when looked at with available evidence. Hyperion being hyper-aggressive litigious shitwads who'll screw over anything or anyone they touch is not among those things. They just get worse the more you know about them.

There's a good chance that Jens, A-Eon, Vampire etc etc want nothing to do with Cloanto now and won't license the IP, and retro will dissolve into "everyone blame Cloanto" infighting. Even then, it would still be better than having Hyperion swanning around with 3.x like they owned it.

Look at the trouble they've caused already - nobody knows who owns what and companies who thought they were getting the real thing from the legal owners were driven out of business.
  • »11.02.19 - 18:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Just read the forums from 1999 to 2019.

I've been following them quite closely most of the time.

> Hyperion [...]'ll screw over anything or anyone they touch

I won't dispute that. What I dispute is the likeliness of them touching legal sites like now-defunct Amiga games website Back2roots, which had legal permission from the software companies to distribute Amiga games.
  • »11.02.19 - 20:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ Andreas_Wolf

Of course nobody (also true for the individual developers) can get all IP rights from one hand. But having been persistently working towards making this possible during the last many, many years, is going to result in one of Cloanto's biggest achievements ever! OS4 has stalled in limbo, unpaid disgruntled "Boing Ball" developers have either paused, halted or they went home and took their ball with them. Major announced and promised developments never got finished, and key stuff like their flagship file system suddenly went MIA. OS3 "Checkmark" developers has let their work be published by Hyperion (even with an abomination "Boing Ball" logo), but at the same time they have been kind of careful about it, keeping their distance in a way, not even accepting financial rewards from sales for example. I think they have been monitoring the situation to see how things are being played out, not wanting to upset anyone more than necessary, keeping doors to alternative futures open.

And why not (a good idea even?), considering Cloanto's open quest for the community to suggest a plausible future path for the governance of Amiga:
    https://amigaworld.net//modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42002&forum=2

Hyperion seems to have reached the end of the line. Just like H&P once did. And Cloanto has a track record in circumventing stalled publishers (H&P) by approaching IP-owning individual developers directly, which "Workbench 3.X" (~OS3.9+ ATM IMHO) is an example of. Not saying it *will* happen with neither "3.1.4" nor "4.x", but it certainly is a possibility. It's a bit up to the developers as well, I suppose. Letting their efforts die off, or having it playing a part in an Amiga future? Maybe even the flagship file system might return to OS4 in an updated version, who knows?

The post-commodore trend has been that the IP over the years has become more and more scattered, a development that is now (thanks to Cloanto) going in the opposite direction. "Commodore"? Well, who knows, but as I said in comment #565 I think the name "C-A Acquisition Corp" is food for imagination. A name that suggest a certain particular purpose; literally to acquire the C-A. ;-)

The above image (~2 weeks old?) shows Paul Andrews from Retro Games, Mike Battilana from Cloanto, and David Pleasance, who was the Managing Director of CBM UK Ltd from 1993 - 1995, having been with Commodore UK since 1983. Without doubt, they are talking about new Commodore hardware (with or without the brand, nudge nudge "C-A Acquisition Corp").

Things can happen. And Cloanto has a track record of enabling stuff like this. The PPC enabled Amiga Forever, who in a single package could emulate everything from 1.0 68k to 4.1 PPC, quickly became the OS4 best-seller, before Hyperion killed it by violating yet some agreements and starting their trade mark wars.

P.S.
    "The Walker" never became a product, thus "3.2" was ever merely a work in progress. "3.1.4" is in a way an extension of that work, and if those additions to 3.1 doesn't reward a .1 version bump in itself (historically, the evolution of the .1 steps has been even less), then maybe a selective merger of "3.1.4" and "Workbench 3.X" would? The important thing is to get away from the three-placeholder-version scheme that has always been an abomination.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »12.02.19 - 00:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    @ Andreas_Wolf

Of course nobody (also true for the individual developers) can get all IP rights from one hand. But having been persistently working towards making this possible during the last many, many years, is going to result in one of Cloanto's biggest achievements ever! OS4 has stalled in limbo, unpaid disgruntled "Boing Ball" developers have either paused, halted or they went home and took their ball with them. Major announced and promised developments never got finished, and key stuff like their flagship file system suddenly went MIA. OS3 "Checkmark" developers has let their work be published by Hyperion (even with an abomination "Boing Ball" logo), but at the same time they have been kind of careful about it, keeping their distance in a way, not even accepting financial rewards from sales for example. I think they have been monitoring the situation to see how things are being played out, not wanting to upset anyone more than necessary, keeping doors to alternative futures open.

And why not (a good idea even?), considering Cloanto's open quest for the community to suggest a plausible future path for the governance of Amiga:
    https://amigaworld.net//modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42002&forum=2

Hyperion seems to have reached the end of the line. Just like H&P once did. And Cloanto has a track record in circumventing stalled publishers (H&P) by approaching IP-owning individual developers directly, which "Workbench 3.X" (~OS3.9+ ATM IMHO) is an example of. Not saying it *will* happen with neither "3.1.4" nor "4.x", but it certainly is a possibility. It's a bit up to the developers as well, I suppose. Letting their efforts die off, or having it playing a part in an Amiga future? Maybe even the flagship file system might return to OS4 in an updated version, who knows?

The post-commodore trend has been that the IP over the years has become more and more scattered, a development that is now (thanks to Cloanto) going in the opposite direction. "Commodore"? Well, who knows, but as I said in comment #565 I think the name "C-A Acquisition Corp" is food for imagination. A name that suggest a certain particular purpose; literally to acquire the C-A. ;-)

The above image (~2 weeks old?) shows Paul Andrews from Retro Games, Mike Battilana from Cloanto, and David Pleasance, who was the Managing Director of CBM UK Ltd from 1993 - 1995, having been with Commodore UK since 1983. Without doubt, they are talking about new Commodore hardware (with or without the brand, nudge nudge "C-A Acquisition Corp").

Things can happen. And Cloanto has a track record of enabling stuff like this. The PPC enabled Amiga Forever, who in a single package could emulate everything from 1.0 68k to 4.1 PPC, quickly became the OS4 best-seller, before Hyperion killed it by violating yet some agreements and starting their trade mark wars.

P.S.
    "The Walker" never became a product, thus "3.2" was ever merely a work in progress. "3.1.4" is in a way an extension of that work, and if those additions to 3.1 doesn't reward a .1 version bump in itself (historically, the evolution of the .1 steps has been even less), then maybe a selective merger of "3.1.4" and "Workbench 3.X" would? The important thing is to get away from the three-placeholder-version scheme that has always been an abomination.

3.X + 3.1.4 merged to be 3.2 or whatever would be great. Would be even better if the Vampire standalone in a 1200 style case with an official Commodore Amiga badge on it was released. :)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »12.02.19 - 10:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > their flagship file system suddenly went MIA. [...] Maybe even the flagship
    > file system might return to OS4 in an updated version, who knows?

JXFS was superseded by NGFS in OS4.1FE:

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/UserDoc:AmigaOS_File_Systems

> OS3 "Checkmark" developers has let their work be published
    > by Hyperion (even with an abomination "Boing Ball" logo)

In comment #101 you of all people were calling this the "Boing Ball Branch" of 3.1, as opposed to the "Checkmark Branch".

> Hyperion seems to have reached the end of the line.
    > Just like H&P once did.

That's not comparable in my opinion. H&P tried to accomplish a move to x86 (Amithlon/AmigaXL). When they failed, they had enough of it.

> the IP over the years has become more and more scattered, a development
    > that is now (thanks to Cloanto) going in the opposite direction.

So far, Cloanto owns no more of the IP than Escom, Gateway or Amiga Inc. did. And they own less than Escom did.

> "Commodore"? [...] I think the name "C-A Acquisition Corp" is food
    > for imagination. A name that suggest a certain particular purpose;
    > literally to acquire the C-A. ;-)

Let's see what will come off the purpose. A mere license to the mark would still be less than Escom owned. Even owning the mark would still be no more than Escom owned.

> Paul Andrews from Retro Games, Mike Battilana from Cloanto, and
    > David Pleasance [...] are talking about new Commodore hardware
    > (with or without the brand, nudge nudge "C-A Acquisition Corp").

How could it be "Commodore hardware" without the Commodore brand?

> Cloanto has a track record of enabling stuff like this. The
    > PPC enabled Amiga Forever, who in a single package could
    > emulate [...] 4.1 PPC, quickly became the OS4 best-seller

Yes, see also comments #30 and #108 for a striking enablement example ;-)

> "3.2" was ever merely a work in progress.

Yet, Cloanto acknowledges its existence (see link in comment #41), so it seems unlikely they would use "3.2" for anything else. Next up and yet unused would be "3.3".

> the three-placeholder-version scheme that has always been
    > an abomination

As explained repeatedly, this "abomination" was introduced in 1989 by none other than Commodore itself (Workbench 1.3.x).
  • »12.02.19 - 11:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

> Paul Andrews from Retro Games, Mike Battilana from Cloanto, and
    > David Pleasance [...] are talking about new Commodore hardware
    > (with or without the brand, nudge nudge "C-A Acquisition Corp").

How could it be "Commodore hardware" without the Commodore brand?

Perhaps devoting some attention to the continuing battle over the various Commodore
    trademarks would help:
    Source current

I would not be quick to dismiss the possibility of one or more of the folks in that
    picture being (or having been) in talks with one of the 2 entities in the process of
    securing their perceived rights.

• »12.02.19 - 14:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> Paul Andrews from Retro Games, Mike Battilana from Cloanto, and
    >>> David Pleasance [...] are talking about new Commodore hardware
    >>> (with or without the brand, nudge nudge "C-A Acquisition Corp").

>> How could it be "Commodore hardware" without the Commodore brand?

> [...] I would not be quick to dismiss the possibility of one or more of
    > the folks in that picture being (or having been) in talks with one of
    > the 2 entities in the process of securing their perceived rights.

Licensing or purchasing the mark from either entity would result in the possibility to offer "Commodore hardware" *with* the Commodore brand. My question, however, is about how to offer "Commodore hardware" *without* the Commodore brand and what it is that makes hardware without the Commodore brand "Commodore hardware".
  • »12.02.19 - 20:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @thread

Just a mere observation concerning the transfer of assets:

When Amiga was sold before, it received main stream media coverage.
    I don't see anything resembling a press release from anyone this time.

Anyone else find anything? (other than amiga centric sites)

• »15.02.19 - 14:53
    KennyR
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    @thread

Just a mere observation concerning the transfer of assets:

When Amiga was sold before, it received main stream media coverage.
    I don't see anything resembling a press release from anyone this time.

Anyone else find anything? (other than amiga centric sites)

No, but this could be because apparently Hyperion don't like Amiga centric sites covering it - especially if they don't belong to Hyperion's alternative reality stream.

(The absolute gall they have to claim this - especially given that they enjoyed absolute bias from sites like AmigaWorld and Amigans.net only too happy to censor anything they didn't like.)

Anyway, it's possible that Cloanto have done this under the radar to escape the attentions of the vast army of patent trolls out there who threaten to sue for the slightest reason. The French lottery bizarrely included.
  • »15.02.19 - 22:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > to escape the attentions of the vast army of patent trolls out there

More like trademark trolls in this specific case ;-)
  • »15.02.19 - 23:42
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

Anyway, it's possible that Cloanto have done this under the radar to escape the attentions of the vast army of patent trolls out there who threaten to sue for the slightest reason.

I think it's more likely that they haven't issued any press releases because they a currently in a dispute with another party about rights to their IP and trademarks and don't want to forever be associated with said dispute. There is also the fact that while the dispute is ongoing they are pretty much boxed in, in terms of what they can do, by the 2009 settlement agreement which is still active.

I don't think it would be good PR if you announce to the world that you are the new owner but you're currently in a legal dispute and are unable to announce your future vision for the brand and IP.
  • »16.02.19 - 18:33