Iris - An upcoming E-Mail client blog
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    What I also noticed by printing from IRIS: Duplex-settings in Printer-Prefs are ignored - it's printing always single-sheet.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »11.11.20 - 09:35
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    First of all, NETPAR: or any renamed mountlist is destination device for printing and should be put in
    Morphos Prefs->Printers->Output Path for created printer profile. Please, check
    https://library.morph.zone/Print_System

Supported Postscript version (2 or 3) is taken from provide PPD file.

[ Edited by zukow 11.11.2020 - 12:17 ]
  • »11.11.20 - 11:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    What I also noticed by printing from IRIS: Duplex-settings in Printer-Prefs are ignored - it's printing always single-sheet.

Printer (TurboPrint) prefs are obsolete. Iris only uses the printing settings from Printers prefs.
  • »11.11.20 - 12:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Trekman wrote:
    If we want PS printing to work the created ps code is quite important to be correct for printers.

Sounds like you did not install your printer correctly in Printers prefs. Wrong PPD profile perhaps? Iris' printing does not use TurboPrint.

[ Edited by jacadcaps 11.11.2020 - 13:22 ]
  • »11.11.20 - 12:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Trekman
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:

Sounds like you did not install your printer correctly in Printers prefs. Wrong PPD profile perhaps? Iris' printing does not use TurboPrint.

[ Edited by jacadcaps 11.11.2020 - 13:22 ]

I took the original ppd file from the printers driver cd.
    I can print e.g. with other apps like vpdf through the new print system.
    With Iris itself it does not work as described above.
    Im going to try other apps to see if there is a similar problem.
  • »11.11.20 - 13:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:

Printer (TurboPrint) prefs are obsolete. Iris only uses the printing settings from Printers prefs.

Sorry - mean of course printers-prefs. I know that IRIS only uses the new printers-system by Zukow. But VPDF does that too, and there are Duplex-settings not ignored. IRIS ignores that, even when set directly in HP252 webinterface.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »11.11.20 - 14:41
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Trekman
    Quote:

zukow schrieb:
    First of all, NETPAR: or any renamed mountlist is destination device for printing and should be put in
    Morphos Prefs->Printers->Output Path for created printer profile. Please, check
    https://library.morph.zone/Print_System

Supported Postscript version (2 or 3) is taken from provide PPD file.

[ Edited by zukow 11.11.2020 - 12:17 ]

Yes , this is what I do.

If I put in "ram:file.ps" it creates the ps file and one can see in the file that PS Level 3 is taken.
    But if you give this file to the printer (which is capable of the PS Level 3) it only clicks and then nothing.
    Same if you enter the NETPAR: (or whatever the mountlists name is) in output path, sending the printout directly to the printer. So I think the created ps code might be the problem.
    Interesting is that printouts e.g. from VPDF do work. (mostly ??!!?)
  • »11.11.20 - 15:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Trekman
    Interesting :

I tried to look into it with multiview.
    and tried to print simple text files. (with multiview)

first : a with ed created text file called test.txt (it has just the word "test" in it)

---> it prints out fine

second : the Readme file from "VectorInk" (should be just another text file with more text in it)

---> the printer only clicks and then nothing

copy readme prt: works
    copy readme netpar: does not work ---> only clicking and nothing

Seems not to be an Iris problem at all ?!?

[ Editiert durch Trekman 11.11.2020 - 17:40 ]
  • »11.11.20 - 16:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Just for the sake of completeness, one difference between the first text file (test.txt) and the VectorInk readme file should be that the latter uses UTF8 encoding.
  • »11.11.20 - 16:41
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    And maybe if you want to test if it's really about the UTF-8, you could convert the readme to ISO and try to print that...

For example like this:
    ConvertText sys:Applications/VectorInk/ReadMe ram:readmeiso SE=UTF-8 DE=ISO-8859-1

And then:
    copy ram:readmeiso netpar:

BTW. for my printer there was two PPD files available, one for ISO-8859-1 and one for UTF-8.... if that would affect... I haven't tested changing them though...
  • »11.11.20 - 17:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Trekman
    Quote:

jPV schrieb:
    And maybe if you want to test if it's really about the UTF-8, you could convert the readme to ISO and try to print that...

For example like this:
    ConvertText sys:Applications/VectorInk/ReadMe ram:readmeiso SE=UTF-8 DE=ISO-8859-1

And then:
    copy ram:readmeiso netpar:

I tried that but no luck----> just click and nothing

maybe a problem with netprinter or porthandler as some data goes through and some not by sending to netpar:
    The Data in LED does only blink 3 times and then stops when it happens as no Data would come in.

Its obviously not Iris which creates the problem ;-)
  • »12.11.20 - 16:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Some whishes to Christmas:

- Possibillity to save massages to HD (ideally by drag&drop)
    - Possibility to load massages back from HD to a IRIS-folder (ideally drag&drop)
    - to have the choise to load, delete or ignore messages direktly on provider-server like YAM does
    - to prevent deleting messages on server as presetting like YAM. I've access to that server from different locations and only one location should be able to delete on the server.

btw: it's a great emailclient, even already in this early releases.
  • »26.11.20 - 07:54
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    - Possibillity to save massages to HD (ideally by drag&drop)

Already there - check the menus (no d&d though). Iris can also automatically cache the messages in your folders onto your disk. Check Storage settings for the account.

Quote:

- Possibility to load massages back from HD to a IRIS-folder (ideally drag&drop)

Well, there's no such thing as an IRIS-folder. Iris is an IMAP client, so the folder is on the server. Some servers allow uploading messages, but some will only restrict that to Drafts.

That said, you can *open* standard MIME and Outlook message files using the menu.

Quote:

- to have the choise to load, delete or ignore messages direktly on provider-server like YAM does

That only makes sense with POP3 since you cannot comfortably browse messages on the server and there are no folders on the server side. And yes, things like deleting or setting read/unread flags are done directly on the server.

Quote:

- to prevent deleting messages on server as presetting like YAM. I've access to that server from different locations and only one location should be able to delete on the server.

That's - again - a POP3 setting. With IMAP all clients see the same folder structure that's hosted on the server and actions like deleting or changing flags are then exposed to all clients. By default, POP3 is not supposed to be a shared resource but instead you're supposed to download all messages to your local machine - that's why the default is to delete them from the server (also due to performance, accessing POP3 with a large index isn't exactly fast).

While I'd like to be able to provide better support for POP3, Iris was designed to be an always-online IMAP client. Most people access their mailboxes from multiple computers/mobiles, right?
  • »26.11.20 - 12:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Thank you for clarifying! Yes, in my case I need access to mailbox from my weekend's location - that's the reason I asked for and I don't want to loose mails then on main location.
    And I really don't want to setup a private mailserver (don't love Wintel, a.s.o.) at home! But nevertheless it would be charming, if that could be done on EFIKA under MOS - could be a nice purpose for that small, low power consumption engine......
  • »27.11.20 - 07:49
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Thank you for clarifying! Yes, in my case I need access to mailbox from my weekend's location - that's the reason I asked for and I don't want to loose mails then on main location.

Well, IMAP really is what you need to use then, not POP3.

Btw I'm almost done with the next Iris version. The integration of the new browser engine seems to be working just fine, while fixing several problems the old Odyssey integration had.
  • »05.12.20 - 16:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • K-L
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    K-L
    Thank you ! :)
    PowerMac G5 2,7 Ghz / Radeon 9650 / MorphOS 3.15
    AmigaOne X1000 (unused ATM)
  • »02.01.21 - 17:49
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    beworld
    unstoppable !!

Thanks you very much
    IMac G5 2.1,PowerBook G4 1.5,MacMini 1.5, PowerMac G5 2.7 died !!!
    My MOS ports
  • »03.01.21 - 07:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    0.99 now available with minor fixes and 'Upload messages to Folder' functionality.
  • »03.01.21 - 19:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    0.100 now available with bug fixes and performance improvements.
  • »06.01.21 - 15:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    @jadacaps

I dont write very much here, im lurcker most of the time, but im enjoying of Iris and Wayfarer, thanks for it jadacaps, piru, jPV and people involded.
  • »06.01.21 - 16:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Since 0.99 IRIS should be able to move a imported message to a folder. How can I do that? When selecting "Nachricht verschieben" (move message) no target-folders appears at opened folder-window.
  • »06.01.21 - 21:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Since 0.99 IRIS should be able to move a imported message to a folder. How can I do that? When selecting "Nachricht verschieben" (move message) no target-folders appears at opened folder-window.

Not sure what you're trying to do. Move Message... is there to move a message(s) between folders of the same account. Same thing you'd achieve via drag & drop. If you want to upload a message you have on your disk locally to an IMAP account, open the main menu and go to Folder > Upload Messages... This will upload message files into the selected folder (provided it's writable).
  • »07.01.21 - 12:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Thank you for reply.
    If I load a message (eg. Ram:message.eml), a window with the content of the message appears, but it's not stored to selected inbox-folder. How can I store it there? (use latest IRIS V0.100)
    Btw: found no prefs to make folder writeable or not....where can I do that?
  • »07.01.21 - 14:26
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Thank you for reply.
    If I load a message (eg. Ram:message.eml), a window with the content of the message appears, but it's not stored to selected inbox-folder. How can I store it there? (use latest IRIS V0.100)
    Btw: found no prefs to make folder writeable or not....where can I do that?

Again, you're trying to go with Menu > Messages > Load Message... instead of Menu > Folder > Upload messages... Perhaps the German localization is confusing?

There's no prefs to make folders writable - this is decided by the IMAP server. For example some servers will allow you to keep messages in folders that have subfolders, some servers will not.

[ Edited by jacadcaps 07.01.2021 - 15:45 ]
  • »07.01.21 - 14:45
    Profile Visit Website