Iris - An upcoming E-Mail client blog
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Beta 27 of the MorphOS' next email client - Iris - is available for download from tunkki.dk. The most notable changes include a 30%+ speed boost of the whole application and custom certificate handling.

To update, simply extract the archive and copy files overwriting your existing installation - your settings and caches are safe in their separate directories.

With beta27 released, I will now be focusing on a proper 'Outgoing' mail folder...
  • »31.05.18 - 12:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    This release really is a lot faster on my PowerBook, thanks for your efforts!

But still no X-MAILER string it seems. :-(

[ Editiert durch ernsteiswuerfel 31.05.2018 - 23:42 ]
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »31.05.18 - 22:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's there. Did you check the email file?
  • »01.06.18 - 13:41
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Yep. I sent the mail via Iris to my 2nd mail account and checked the mail via Sylpheed on my Linux box. Sylpheed has an option to show the complete source of an email, and there no X-MAILER string shows up.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »02.06.18 - 13:07
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    I have successfully used Iris now with Dreamhost's IMAP by following the instructions here:

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215612887#Example_setup_using_a_secure_IMAP_connection

However it is not the smoothest experience. Messages usually don't always appear in the reading pane when I click on them. I get plenty of timeouts in the log when trying to check for new messages by hitting 'synchronize all accounts.' But I am excited for the prospects. :)

(I just tried to use the clipboard to copy a line from the Iris log window and paste into this OWB window but it doesn't seem that's implemented.)

I would be happy to offer the author an email account on any of my Dreamhost-hosted domains, which he could use for testing. Let me know.

Thanks!
  • »02.06.18 - 16:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    If you could create a irismorphostest@ email for me, that’d be awesome. Sometimes some deviations from the RFC or simply a difference in implementation of the server causes problems but these are usually easy to fix.
  • »02.06.18 - 18:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • MB
  • Just looking around
    MB
    Nice program, i just started to use it, testing it. I like it so far.
    Please keep on going. :)
  • »09.06.18 - 19:12
    Cego
    i've just sent an important e-mail. Problem is, i dont know if its been sent or not. It wont show up in the Sent folder, neither in the outgoing folder. I pressed "send" and thats it. Theres no trace at all, if the email has been sent or not. Nothing. And I dont want to write a second mail because of that. I am using Web.de account.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »13.06.18 - 13:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    i've just sent an important e-mail. Problem is, i dont know if its been sent or not. It wont show up in the Sent folder, neither in the outgoing folder. I pressed "send" and thats it. Theres no trace at all, if the email has been sent or not. Nothing. And I dont want to write a second mail because of that. I am using Web.de account.

Open the "Iris Log Window" with the small button in the bottom right corner!
    There you can see if sending the email was successful or not.
  • »13.06.18 - 14:31
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    As far as I got it, putting the email automatically in the IMAP-"Sent" folder after sending it, is not implemented yet. But trust me, the emails do arrive. I've done enough testmails, to be sure. ;-)
  • »13.06.18 - 14:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Check out the SMTP settings: there's a checkmark "Server stores ...". If the messages aren't stored in Sent for you, just uncheck it and they'll get uploaded. There's no standard here and servers are all different, but I'll try to handle this better in the next beta.
  • »14.06.18 - 12:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    When I quit IRIS, latest beta, then I get this in the log:

-[IrisSessionConcrete onException:](imaps://christoph.poelzl@gmail.com@imap.gmail.com:993): EINTR: signal occured before transmission

Normal?
  • »26.06.18 - 05:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

rms wrote:
    When I quit IRIS, latest beta, then I get this in the log:

-[IrisSessionConcrete onException:](imaps://christoph.poelzl@gmail.com@imap.gmail.com:993): EINTR: signal occured before transmission

Normal?

That means you quit as Iris was busy doing something, likely a folder sync.
  • »26.06.18 - 12:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:

Did you check the emails in your IMAP Sent folder or the emails actually sent? The two are not the same thing :)
  • »03.07.18 - 02:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Working hard on the Outgoing Folder. Turns out this is a tougher nut to crack than I have initially thought - the fact that the server may or may not place the email sent via SMTP into the IMAP Sent folder means that Iris has to upload the email to Drafts 1st, transport the mail via SMTP next and then poll the IMAP sent folder to check if the email has materialized over there or not, eventually moving the email from Drafts to Sent in case the server did not do that....

Two more weeks I guess :)
  • »05.07.18 - 13:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Just some stuff coming in the next build...

• »21.07.18 - 04:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Looking forward to the next Beta, and you are moving this program forward at quite a pace, considering the issues you've explained, great achievement thus far. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »21.07.18 - 05:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The latest public beta of Iris email client introduces an Outgoing Messages folder. The emails you write are 1st stored in a local folder on disk, then uploaded to Drafts on your IMAP server, sent via SMTP and either deleted or moved to Sent folder on success, depending on whether the server automatically uploads sent messages to Sent folder or not.

This version also introduces 2 new main window UI layouts, the ability to fall back to Scintilla instead of OWB for viewing and editing (for systems with constrained ram) and many other fixes. See the README file for the complete list of changes.

The archive can be downloaded from tunkki.
  • »28.07.18 - 02:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    It took a little bit longer than expected to get where I wanted with this release - I'll be working towards handling local & remote Drafts next as well as an Address Book (likely a separate application + service).
  • »28.07.18 - 02:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Well, you need to tell me a bit more... Did you get redirected to the Outlook Login in OWB after trying to add your account? What happened after you logged in and authenticated Iris?
  • »04.08.18 - 01:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hi jacadcaps,

i have selected OAuth Provider Outlook and Iris launch Odyssey and login option for Outlook, i log but authentification fail. After i have always have the same message "Authentification fail without login option...

Is there an option to change server prefs for sending and receiving for each provider because for hotmail.fr the name of server are not right.

Is it possible to change namd of "Apply" button to "Save options" ?

When i select Outlook in OAuth Provider in General then i select Receving it don't apply the good Authentification.

Thanks !

[ Edité par Papiosaur 04.08.2018 - 08:53 ]
  • »04.08.18 - 07:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    i have selected OAuth Provider Outlook and Iris launch Odyssey and login option for Outlook, i log but authentification fail. After i have always have the same message "Authentification fail without login option...

I'll try to register an account there and check it myself. In the meanwhile, remove all hotmail configuration entries you've added and go through adding a new account again.

Quote:

Is there an option to change server prefs for sending and receiving for each provider because for hotmail.fr the name of server are not right.

Yes.

Quote:

Is it possible to change namd of "Apply" button to "Save options" ?

What difference does that make?

Quote:

When i select Outlook in OAuth Provider in General then i select Receving it don't apply the good Authentification.

What do you mean? Care to send me the configuration file?
  • »06.08.18 - 02:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hi jacadcaps,

Quote:

I'll try to register an account there and check it myself. In the meanwhile, remove all hotmail configuration entries you've added and go through adding a new account again.

Thanks a lot! I have always only one account hotmail.fr

Quote:

What difference does that make?

In fact, i would like to ask you if prefs are saved in a file or a tempory file because i have the impression Iris don't keep my informations about my mail (receive information)

Quote:

I will send you my config file.

[EDIT] What file i must send you ?

This my prefs grab, when i click on Next button, Iris propose me 2 certificates i accept and return on this window.

irisprefs2.jpg

[EDIT2]

It work !!! i have changed login papiosaur2 to papiosaur2@hotmail.fr

[ Edité par Papiosaur 06.08.2018 - 05:00 ]
  • »06.08.18 - 03:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I'm glad that it works for you, but you should enable OAuth for additional security.
  • »07.08.18 - 15:31
    Profile Visit Website