Iris - An upcoming E-Mail client blog
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The next beta (23) is currently being tested. If all goes well I'll make it public in a couple of days...

Changes:
    - Reworked job priority queue to avoid situations where one has to wait for email contents for too long
    - Folder full sync jobs can now be done in steps (unlocks email reading while syncing)
    - Fixed email counts in the folder tree for IMAP
    - Reworked autoconfiguration for OAuth2 providers
    - Cut text (cmd+x) shortcut added to the email writer
    - Revamped transport security settings - now a switch between TLS, STARTTLS and opportunistic STARTTLS
    - When replying or forwarding mail, an appropriate flag on the source email is set
    - Fixed: quick folder synchornization would call Close on a fh twice if ChangeMode() failed
    - Fixed: Removing an account did not kill the entry from the settings list
    - Fixed: After an account was removed but not removed from the list, collecting properties for the non-existing account threw exceptions
    - Fixed: there was a rather nasty race condition in the main Session class
    - Fixed: after adding a message to a folder and synchronizing the folder, each time it was synchronized, the message would duplicate in the index

I've added support for Yahoo OAuth2, but that is still pending until Oath enables access for Iris.

[ Edited by jacadcaps 16.04.2018 - 11:18 ]
  • »16.04.18 - 15:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    Thank you very much :)
  • »19.04.18 - 04:25
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    tolkien
    Thanks! I'm enjoying Iris in its current state. Ill try it tonight. Great!!
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »19.04.18 - 04:59
  • Just looking around
    GOOD WORK!!
  • »20.04.18 - 04:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    realstar
    It's working pretty good for me. One issue is that if I start a new message I can't type into the text entry window even if I click the mouse pointer inside it and the cursor is flashing. I have to press TAB multiple times to make the text entry window the active gadget before it will let me type a message.
  • »20.04.18 - 05:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    stylon
    Hi,

I'm afraid I cannot get this to work with my email at all. Have installed it onto a clean 3.10 system (as I'm new to MorphOS too) but it's not having any of it.

I'm using the mail facilities offered by my web hosting company and have no problems using apps on iOS, Android, Mac and Windows to connect to it. I typed in a very detailed post about this issue last night on my MorphOS machine but the timed slow-down caught me out and by the time I hit 'post' it all went pear shaped...

So I'm posting from memory now - basically it seemed to be failing on verifying the security certificate. Normally I have to select SSL/TLS port 993 for my IMAP server and use plain authentication . I was selecting TLS in Iris, and think I tried pretty much every type of authentication with no success. Clicking ignore or reject when the certificate failed had no effect either. I didn't mess with the oAuth thing as that seemed to be for specific providers.

Thanks!
    Power Mac G4 - 1.25Ghz - MorphOS 3.10
    Amiga 500 - 68080 - Vampire V500 V2
    C64 - SIDFX - 1541 Ultimate II+

https://lyonsden.net
  • »20.04.18 - 07:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ stylon

Thanks for your report. I am afraid you need to provide more details. Do you mind sharing the name of the web hosting company if it is a third party vendor? If you are running the mail server yourself, what software and which version do you use?
  • »20.04.18 - 08:07
  • Just looking around
    stylon
    Not a problem - the hosting company is https://www.unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk/. I don't really know what software they are using but I can manage the creation of email accounts in it using a Plesk control panel. The SSL certificate was created using the Let's Encrypt option that they also provide.

[ Edited by stylon 20.04.2018 - 10:39 ]

• »20.04.18 - 09:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

stylon wrote:
    I don't really know what software they are using but I can manage the creation of email accounts in it using a Plesk control panel. The SSL certificate was created using the Let's Encrypt option that they also provide.

Would it be possible for you to set up a temporary test account and sent the credentials to the developer of Iris either as a message here on MorphZone or via email?

Attempts at describing what goes wrong might take up more time than simply allowing the developer to do a quick test run.

Your web hosting company provides the following instructions:
    Instructions for how to set up email clients

This seems pretty straight forward.
  • »20.04.18 - 09:44
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @stylon

Thanks for the bugreport. I need to check if the invalid certificate bypass is actually working right - haven't tried that in a while.

Anyway, just as ASiegel has mentioned, a temporary test account would make it trivial for me to fix this. That'd also let me check why the certificate validation is failing.
  • »20.04.18 - 11:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    stylon
    No problem, I'll have one final stab at it tonight in case I've overlooked something obvious and if it doesn't work I'll create an account and email the details to you to have a look at. Thanks.

• »20.04.18 - 13:19
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    Did someone already add an OpenURL template for MPrefs?
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »21.04.18 - 04:06
  • Just looking around
    stylon
    OK I hold my hands up - it was my fault. I had not realised I needed to use a different server name for SSL to work. Once I put that info in correctly it worked like a charm. Presumably back when I setup my other apps/programs they must have auto-configured the settings as I've never had to put that info in before.

Anyway it is all good now and I'm pretty impressed with the app so far and look forward to seeing it grow.

• »21.04.18 - 13:10
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    Thanks for the latest beta!

I also want to report a bug. I am using Iris on its own screen with a maximized window. When i click on a mail the content appears on the ambient screen instead of the Iris Pubscreen.

https://picload.org/view/dogippaw/bildschirm02.jpg.html
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »21.04.18 - 14:58
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    micken
    Hello Jaca!

I have a feature suggestion.
    On my G4 it crawls when it comes to syncing and it is not the network activity but rather CPU related.
    I would like to see a option to limit the sync to a certain amount of emails, like the 500 latest.
    MorphOS hangaround :)
  • »22.04.18 - 09:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Thanks for your feedback, micken.

I understand there are performance issues with the initial folder synchronization. Still, I would rather spend more time on optimizing Iris where relevant than to limit functionality.

I'm working on a profiler application in the meanwhile, that ought to help figuring out what the most CPU intensive parts of the folder sync are.
  • »23.04.18 - 13:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    micken
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Thanks for your feedback, micken.

I understand there are performance issues with the initial folder synchronization. Still, I would rather spend more time on optimizing Iris where relevant than to limit functionality.

I have 20K+ emails in my inbox, takes about 15+ minutes to sync. And it is the same for each time I select the inbox.

I just tried rolling my own client and it takes a while to get the headers. So a configurable limit is probably good, even if I understand your point of view.

17074_mickensemail.png
    =)

[ Edited by micken 24.04.2018 - 11:03 ]
  • »24.04.18 - 07:15
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

micken wrote:
    I have 20K+ emails in my inbox, takes about 15+ minutes to sync. And it is the same for each time I select the inbox.

What G4 processor do you use specifically? I tested this on a G3 / 600 Mhz with an equally large mailbox. While I did mention a notable delay, which had led me to make a similar suggestion to yours, it was nowhere near 15 minutes.
  • »24.04.18 - 07:45
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    micken
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

What G4 processor do you use specifically? I tested this on a G3 / 600 Mhz with an equally large mailbox. While I did mention a notable delay, which had led me to make a similar suggestion to yours, it was nowhere near 15 minutes.

G4 400Mhz
  • »24.04.18 - 08:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

micken wrote:

So the actual problem is that it does not seem to save the index into it's cache - I wonder why... Would you be willing to run a debug-enabled version for me? After that slow sync it should be pretty fast.

The problem with a limited sync is that you limit functionality by a lot then. IMAP servers also return emails in different orders, so sometimes you'd get the 500 oldest emails instead of newest :)

Iris supports non-cached folder viewing internally (it can actually load headers as you scroll), but I did not get around to implementing a UI for all the settings and I have no ETA on that.

400MHz is slightly below what I'd consider minimum spec for this app, by the way.
  • »24.04.18 - 12:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    micken
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

So the actual problem is that it does not seem to save the index into it's cache - I wonder why... Would you be willing to run a debug-enabled version for me? After that slow sync it should be pretty fast.

The problem with a limited sync is that you limit functionality by a lot then. IMAP servers also return emails in different orders, so sometimes you'd get the 500 oldest emails instead of newest :)

Iris supports non-cached folder viewing internally (it can actually load headers as you scroll), but I did not get around to implementing a UI for all the settings and I have no ETA on that.

400MHz is slightly below what I'd consider minimum spec for this app, by the way.

OK. Iris also consumes lots of RAM , around 300M when my INBOX is synced.
    In my test client I do as little as possible when fetching the headers, and the CPU is idling. Apart from a bug I have with duplicates (dunno atm) it is very fast. I don't know what you do when you sync, but I think my machine isn't up to it.

I can try out a debug build.

Are you on IRC nowadays?

[ Edited by micken 24.04.2018 - 15:44 ]
  • »24.04.18 - 13:44
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

micken wrote:
    OK. Iris also consumes lots of RAM , around 300M when my INBOX is synced.

Yup, that's possible :) Will try to mitigate that though.

Quote:

Are you on IRC nowadays?

jaca @ freenode
  • »24.04.18 - 13:54
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Wow, Iris really got a speedup with the latest version (on my PB G4)!

Two (minor) things coming to my mind enhancing it:
    * proper X-Mailer string ;-)
    * ability to directly open URLs in OWB by clicking on them in Iris. ATM they are displayed as regular text.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »25.04.18 - 18:20
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Thanks, ernsteiswuerfel. Both things are on the TODO lists of future releases.

I've been busy with other stuff, but can already say that beta 25 will reduce the synchronization memory footprint (is about 20MB for a 50k+ folder now). It'll also have proper support for Yahoo! Mail OAuth2.
  • »26.04.18 - 12:03
    Profile Visit Website