Questions on giving away my MorphOS keys/ selling hardware
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Over the past few months (quite a few..12+) I have been using my systems less and less. Interest in my systems has also dwindled, including classic Amiga. I just have other hobbies and dont really ever play games or use any Amiga. If I wanted to use classic Amiga, emulation has come a LOONNGG way and can replace an actual Amiga.

I sit back and try to think about the last time I used my classic Amiga (A2k + Indivision, 030, HD, 8mb ram, Gotek floppy) and I really never use it. I have an A1200 that works but needs a floppy drive and HD, powers up to KS. I have various hardware that probably isnt worth much (SCSI cards, misc stuff) but could ebay the 2k/1200/etc..

On MorphOS, it would be cost prohibitive to ship a G5 so if I couldnt do that, could I give my key away to someone and have whomever the power at be is, change the key to work on that system instead?

I'd also sell my Powerbook G4 with MorphOS.

[ Edited by TheMagicM 29.11.2017 - 11:00 ]
  • »29.11.17 - 17:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

TheMagicM schrieb:
    Over the past few months (quite a few..12+) I have been using my systems less and less. Interest in my systems has also dwindled, including classic Amiga. I just have other hobbies and dont really ever play games or use any Amiga. If I wanted to use classic Amiga, emulation has come a LOONNGG way and can replace an actual Amiga.

I sit back and try to think about the last time I used my classic Amiga (A2k + Indivision, 030, HD, 8mb ram, Gotek floppy) and I really never use it. I have an A1200 that works but needs a floppy drive and HD, powers up to KS. I have various hardware that probably isnt worth much (SCSI cards, misc stuff) but could ebay the 2k/1200/etc..

On MorphOS, it would be cost prohibitive to ship a G5 so if I couldnt do that, could I give my key away to someone and have whomever the power at be is, change the key to work on that system instead?

[ Edited by TheMagicM 29.11.2017 - 11:00 ]

I'd wait a bit with selling the stuff. At least until 3.10 is out. For two reasos. 1st: Maybe you regain interest with the new version of MorphOS 2nd: others may have more interest in getting a system once 3.10 is out. Release date of 3.10 is still unknown, but it should come this year still. Hence waiting a month may be worth it.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »29.11.17 - 18:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:

I really doubt that the MorphOS Dev. Team will agree to disable your MorphOS key file for your G5 PowerMac, and then issue a different (new) key file to someone else you want to sell or donate your license to, just because it is expensive to ship your G5 PowerMac, but you will have to ask one of the team members yourself to get a real answer to that question. Look up the contact info on the official MorphOS website.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.11.17 - 23:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > could I give my key away to someone and have whomever the power at be is,
    > change the key to work on that system instead?

Usually, the old system has to be proved to be irreparably broken before the license will be changed to another system.
  • »29.11.17 - 23:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Another option would be to pull the logic board out of it and have the person you want to have it just trade you boards. That way the key file you ahve will still work and it wont cost an arm and a leg to ship.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »30.11.17 - 18:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Another option would be to pull the logic board out of it

Ever tried that? It's a very painful process. You have to strip the computer of pretty much everything to get the logic board out. But generally the idea is good :)
  • »30.11.17 - 19:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

I'd wait a bit with selling the stuff. At least until 3.10 is out. For two reasos. 1st: Maybe you regain interest with the new version of MorphOS 2nd: others may have more interest in getting a system once 3.10 is out. Release date of 3.10 is still unknown, but it should come this year still. Hence waiting a month may be worth it.

This is just stuff I have kicking around. I literally spend 0 time with the systems. Nothing is set in stone. I'll wait.
    Just do alot of stuff like work on my car and now another project truck, XenServer systems and virtualizing (fun stuff), family, studying for my profession and relaxing when I can.
  • »03.12.17 - 17:04
    Profile Visit Website