Mac mini DVI problem?
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I have the 1.42GHz G4 32MB VRAM model.

Does this mini have a problem with 1920x1080p displays? I used to have a 37" 1080p LCD HDTV that it never worked with. I only ever tried straight DVI-D with it, even though the TV also accepted VGA with an adapter.

Fast forward to today and I have another 1080p monitor I am trying to get it to work with. This time an HP E27i. The monitor has VGA, DVI and DisplayPort inputs. I plugged the mini into the DVI and I get no display. It does work with the VGA adapter on the mini. There are a couple of problems with this, however: 1) VGA output is dimmer from the mini G4 (a known problem I believe) and 2) The HP E27i seems to have trouble sensing a signal from the VGA input. I think the monitor is faulty in this regard. I can get the image to display if I hit a button on the monitor. This is not ideal of course.

The really funny thing? The mini works fine over DVI with two other monitors I have. They are both 1920 x 1200 displays. Does the mini not like 1920 x 1080 over DVI? Maybe I will try reducing the resolution and see if that makes a difference.
  • »03.11.17 - 14:32
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    In my experience my 1.42GHz mini doesn't like 1920x1080 (FullHD) displays via DVI either. I've tried it with 3-4 displays and a video projector. According the talks I've also got the impression that other 32MB minis are problematic too, but it's been said that you would have better chances with VGA which I haven't tried in the degree to make conclusions.

But OTOH, my 1.5GHz mini (64MB) has worked just fine on the same displays via DVI, so I think there's something different in the hardware between the very latest model and others. I have my 1.5GHz mini in everyday use in FullHD monitor and it has worked even on FullHD video projector etc.

But your observation about 1920x1200 is funny indeed. One would have thought that going bigger resolution wouldn't be better at least...
  • »04.11.17 - 08:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    My own experience with 1920x1080 thru DVI with a Mac Mini is poor. Never worked fine. I had to go thru VGA to have such resolution working fine.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »04.11.17 - 11:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Thank you all for the info.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's seen this. I am even happier to hear the 1.5GHz model seems to be free of this problem. A shame that I missed an opportunity to pick one up locally. It is rare, but they sometimes show up on craigslist.

I also saw someone selling 1.5GHz logic boards on eBay for a fair price but I no longer see them. I would have no problem swapping out a logic board.

[ Edited by jdryyz 04.11.2017 - 07:55 ]
  • »04.11.17 - 16:52
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

jdryyz wrote:
    I have the 1.42GHz G4 32MB VRAM model.

Does this mini have a problem with 1920x1080p displays? I used to have a 37" 1080p LCD HDTV that it never worked with. I only ever tried straight DVI-D with it, even though the TV also accepted VGA with an adapter.

Fast forward to today and I have another 1080p monitor I am trying to get it to work with. This time an HP E27i. The monitor has VGA, DVI and DisplayPort inputs. I plugged the mini into the DVI and I get no display. It does work with the VGA adapter on the mini. There are a couple of problems with this, however: 1) VGA output is dimmer from the mini G4 (a known problem I believe) and 2) The HP E27i seems to have trouble sensing a signal from the VGA input. I think the monitor is faulty in this regard. I can get the image to display if I hit a button on the monitor. This is not ideal of course.

The really funny thing? The mini works fine over DVI with two other monitors I have. They are both 1920 x 1200 displays. Does the mini not like 1920 x 1080 over DVI? Maybe I will try reducing the resolution and see if that makes a difference.

• »18.11.17 - 16:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    nice post
    _____
    mastermind
  • »18.11.17 - 16:09
    Profile Visit Website