Home accounts software for MorphOS
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Hi,

I would like to chart my family's finances with some accounting software on MorphOS. I have the following (fairly basic) requirements:

1) It is stable and reliable under MorphOS
    2) I can set up at least twenty monthly budget categories
    3) I can manually enter transactions, and assign them to budget categories.
    4) I can view some rudimentary reports on e.g. how spending is changing over time and how we are fairing against the budget.

It would also be nice to be able to export to CSV, so my data isn't locked up in the program forever more.

I have tried CheckItOut! which came recommended on a thread from amiga.org, but it failed requirement (1) unfortunately (after a positive start, I got an Application Meditating hang up).

What would you recommend? Thank you!
  • »26.07.17 - 13:04
  • Just looking around
    Gerbinist
    Tried HomeBank? Rather old version on Aminet though... (v3.1)
  • »26.07.17 - 13:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Tried HomeBank? Rather old version on Aminet though... (v3.1)

There's a slightly newer version: HomeBank v3.2beta1
  • »26.07.17 - 15:29
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Tried HomeBank? Rather old version on Aminet though... (v3.1)

There's a slightly newer version: HomeBank v3.2beta1

Mind you, thats only an updated binary, you still need the original archive :-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »26.07.17 - 16:38
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Wonderful, thank you. Installed and looks very good. First challenge: how to change it from Euros to £s...
  • »26.07.17 - 17:05
  • Just looking around
    Gerbinist
    There is some information in the Help and Goodies section, but it's not that straightforward...

When I put my System Locale on Great Britain for instance and I enable the Euro in the settings, each window comes with a "Minor" checkmark option. When the checkmark is enabled it displays pounds, when disabled it displays euros... The rest is for you to figure out ;-)
  • »26.07.17 - 18:48
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Gerbinist wrote:
    There is some information in the Help and Goodies section, but it's not that straightforward...

When I put my System Locale on Great Britain for instance and I enable the Euro in the settings, each window comes with a "Minor" checkmark option. When the checkmark is enabled it displays pounds, when disabled it displays euros... The rest is for you to figure out ;-)

That did the trick! Thank you...might never have got there.
  • »26.07.17 - 20:45
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    After a couple of days of trying to get HomeBank set up, I'm close to giving up on it.

I get repeated crashes ("Application Meditating") when trying to set up categories. I reckon I'm 20% finished and have suffered over 20 meditations. I have perservered, trying to learn the pattern of the crashes so as to avoid them, but this hasn't helped hugely.

Is the problem with HomeBank, or more likely my machine? Snoopium doesn't suggest any activity causing the problem. It seems a couple of people in this thread have used it on MOS, and didn't suggest it was (at least as far as setting up categories) almost unusable! Which makes me think it might be the latter...

Thank you!
  • »28.07.17 - 07:25
  • Just looking around
    Gerbinist
    Sorry to hear that, I too notice similar behavior when editing categories... lots of Debug entries. Don't know where to begin looking (I have the latest MUI stuff for instance that the program needs).

BetterString
    NList

It's a shame really, program looked quite useful for what you wanted it to do.
  • »28.07.17 - 09:11
  • Just looking around
    Gerbinist
    A thread on amigaworld.net includes some other examples that might be worth checking out...
  • »28.07.17 - 09:24
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Kokos
    Take a look at GnCash, maybe it's worth porting.
  • »29.07.17 - 10:31
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Gerbinist wrote:
    Sorry to hear that, I too notice similar behavior when editing categories... lots of Debug entries. Don't know where to begin looking (I have the latest MUI stuff for instance that the program needs).

BetterString
    NList

It's a shame really, program looked quite useful for what you wanted it to do.

Fantastic Gerbinist - with those links to the latest versions, things are much improved. Thank you. It's now running stably. And seems a very good program.
  • »29.07.17 - 17:18