hmm 68k "ide" XD lol
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dethknave
    Has anyone with a m68k computer even tinkered with this ehBASIC ?

http://www.easy68k.com/applications.htm
    M$ buys GitHub?
    'Bout time to panic
  • »25.05.17 - 23:40
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Pretty hard to tell anything from that site.
    The last version of BASIC I used on a 68K system was Microware's BASIC09, which is fairly advanced.
    I'll try to find something about EASy68K.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »26.05.17 - 13:28
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I think anything BASIC with a compiler would be cool for MorphOS. Kinda like AmigaBASIC ported. Maybe it would boost development of apps, games etc.
  • »26.05.17 - 14:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    I think anything BASIC with a compiler would be cool for MorphOS. Kinda like AmigaBASIC ported. Maybe it would boost development of apps, games etc.

An advanced version of BASIC, something more capable than AmigaBASIC (that could run in compiled or interpreted modes), would be nice.
    AmigaBASIC itself? Nope.
  • »26.05.17 - 16:50
    Kronos
    AmigaBasic was slow
    AmigaBasic didn't conform to basic rules (24Bit pointers, selfmodifying code)
    AmigaBasic was from M$
    AmigaBasic had no comfortable way to call system functions

All but the last flaw could be cured by a 1:1 reimplementation.
  • »26.05.17 - 17:32
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    AmigaBasic was slow
    AmigaBasic didn't conform to basic rules (24Bit pointers, selfmodifying code)
    AmigaBasic was from M$
    AmigaBasic had no comfortable way to call system functions

All but the last flaw could be cured by a 1:1 reimplementation.

Self modifying code is an issue with more than a few types of BASIC.
    And I was spoiled by some of the latter variants I got to use, that among other things, eliminated the need for line numbers and GOTO statements.

Maybe some of you can wax nostalgic about AmigaBASIC, but for me, its something I'd prefer to put down and step back carefully from.
  • »26.05.17 - 18:23
    Kronos
    Well AmigaBasic didn't need linenumbers and I'm quite sure you could avaid GOTO quite easily.

Sure it wasn't perfect, but the language itself was far from horrible (evenmore given it's 1987 timeframe).
  • »26.05.17 - 18:25
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Well AmigaBasic didn't need linenumbers and I'm quite sure you could avaid GOTO quite easily.

Sure it wasn't perfect, but the language itself was far from horrible (evenmore given it's 1987 timeframe).

Given the time period ('87?), removing the need for line numbers is pretty cool.
    And without those, you can only use GOTO to call routines, so...it doesn't sound that bad.

Maybe something that could serve as a base for expansion?

I miss having these relatively easy to use higher languages as they made good tools to begin to learn coding.
    Jumping straight into C is pretty nasty.

Plus, some of the early stuff I did was a total mashup from various sources. Hey, whatever works.

Its kind of why when someone brings up Pascal here I take notice. P-code and compiled Pascal were a good combination.

BTW - How does AmigaBASIC compare to Visual BASIC?
  • »26.05.17 - 19:42
    Kronos
    VB no idea....

But AmigaBasic also had GOSUB/RETURN so you'd be stupid to use GOTO to call routines ;)
  • »26.05.17 - 19:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

I miss having these relatively easy to use higher languages as they made good tools to begin to learn coding.

Its really not that bad. If you get a Teach Yourself C in xx days, it gets you into C programming. Then you need to learn the Amiga related functions etc. Or MUI etc. thats what got me.

Quote:

Jim wrote:

BTW - How does AmigaBASIC compare to Visual BASIC?

VB blows away AmigaBasic. Its IDE is obviously superior, lots of functions built into the IDE.
  • »26.05.17 - 20:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:

There is Hollywood, there is Lua, there is Python. All pretty easy to get little things done and with potential to do more. IMHO there is no urgend need for Basic on MorphOS.
    There is also Free Pascal and PortableE if you don't like scrpited languages.

I think programming language wise we are doing rather fine - the biggest missing language is Java. That should have the potential to acually yield to more useful software, Basic probably not.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »26.05.17 - 22:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

TheMagicM schrieb:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Its really not that bad. If you get a Teach Yourself C in xx days, it gets you into C programming. Then you need to learn the Amiga related functions etc. Or MUI etc. thats what got me.

I would love better C++ support for MUI. Somehow my attempts to make a MUI C++ program didn't work out. Not too much of an issue as I am happy enough with Hollywood nowadays, but that scared me off from MorphOS programminga few years back. If I get bored by Hollywood one day I may try C++ with MUI again...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »26.05.17 - 22:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

TheMagicM schrieb:

AmiBlitz (klick).
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »26.05.17 - 23:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

TheMagicM schrieb:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

I would love better C++ support for MUI. Somehow my attempts to make a MUI C++ program didn't work out. Not too much of an issue as I am happy enough with Hollywood nowadays, but that scared me off from MorphOS programminga few years back. If I get bored by Hollywood one day I may try C++ with MUI again...

Hollywood is the path I'm going to stick with for the near future. From what I have read and seen, if someone could implement a version of C# for MorphOS, it would make a lot of people happy. C# seems to be very popular these days. Of course Java for MorphOS would open up lots of possibilities, as it has been used so widely in so many things, it is almost a "Must Have" for web browsers to take advantage of.

After I have a good grasp of programming with Hollywood, I might go back to learning AmigaE and/or PortablE, instead of "C" and "C++". I have done some reading and playing around with all 4 of them, but did not get far. Hollywood is very actively being worked on, and should suit my needs for the near term.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »27.05.17 - 04:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Java [...] is almost a "Must Have" for web browsers to take advantage of.

I think most people don't really require Java being supported by their browser.
  • »29.05.17 - 01:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:

AmiBlitz (klick).

OH....nice!
  • »29.05.17 - 06:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Java [...] is almost a "Must Have" for web browsers to take advantage of.

I think most people don't really require Java being supported by their browser.

Yeah, I actually don't know where people would need Java with browsers. At least I've never come up with a situation where Java would have been needed in my use... and I've never installed it on PC:s either. I guess it wouldn't make that much difference for most people if we'd have that... and Java has also become as a security issue nowadays too.

Maybe Java would be more useful to port some stand-alone programs, but then how many of them rely to some other libraries and stuff which would prevent the porting anyway?

Of course it would be nice to have everything on our platform, but as it seems to be a (too) huge job to get it ported and the advantage is debatable, maybe it would be better to spend that time to code native programs for special needs...

About the MUI programming, Hollywood is a nice way to learn MUI basics too. I've started to use the MUIRoyale plugin and that seemed to make me understand the concept of MUI quite easily. I guess it would be easier to go to "harder" languages after experimenting the GUI building with an easy language first.

[ Edited by jPV 29.05.2017 - 08:40 ]
  • »29.05.17 - 06:26
    Profile Visit Website