Dual Monitors X800XT?
  • Just looking around
    EchsBachs
    Ok, So I have given up on getting my HP 34C Single monitor working. The graphics display nicely but I cannot figure out the font issue. Maybe as I gain more experience with Morph, I can.

In the meantime, is it possible to use the two DVI Outputs on my X800XT to support dual monitors?

When I boot into OS X, Dual monitors work fine, when I boot into MorphOS, it just displays the same output on both monitors.

Is there some setting I am missing somewhere? From what I am reading, it seems people are adding a 2nd video card to do this, which, well, seems kind of backwards...

Anyhow, what am I missing to make it display on dual monitors?

-E
  • »19.05.17 - 12:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

EchsBachs wrote:
    Ok, So I have given up on getting my HP 34C Single monitor working. The graphics display nicely but I cannot figure out the font issue. Maybe as I gain more experience with Morph, I can.

I posted a question in the font thread, would be nice to hear if font format affects...

Quote:

In the meantime, is it possible to use the two DVI Outputs on my X800XT to support dual monitors?

When I boot into OS X, Dual monitors work fine, when I boot into MorphOS, it just displays the same output on both monitors.

Is there some setting I am missing somewhere? From what I am reading, it seems people are adding a 2nd video card to do this, which, well, seems kind of backwards...

Anyhow, what am I missing to make it display on dual monitors?

There isn't support for two different outputs from a single gfx card, and that's why people are using two separate cards to achieve dual (or multiple) monitor setups, but even then the desktop isn't stretched to both, you just have to use separate screens to get separate images (Ambient on other, some other program(s) on other etc).

MorphOS itself doesn't have any particular support for it, but luckily the old Amiga standards let you do the multiple monitors with multiple cards :) And luckily the dual output from a single card at least mirrors the image, it can be useful if you have other output on a video projector, but you'll still get other output for a monitor etc :)
  • »19.05.17 - 13:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    EchsBachs
    Recommendations for a 2nd video card?
  • »19.05.17 - 21:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

EchsBachs wrote:

Any PCI Radeon on the list of supported hardware. Not sure if you need a Mac compatible card for a second output on MorphOS.

Found this on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac-G4-G5-ATI-Radeon-7000-PCI-64MB-Video-Card-DVI-VGA-S-Video-TV-Out-OS9-/200710223413

If your not limited to Mac only cards you should be able to get something with a bit more power in the same price band.
  • »19.05.17 - 22:43
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

EchsBachs wrote:

Rather depends on the base system.
    I'm using a PCI Vooddo3 2000 alongside my AGP Radeon 9600 in my FW800 G4.

I haven't had any luck getting that card to play nice in a G5 though.

Others have discussed using a Rage128.

A second Radeon is not an option as the Radeon driver only initializes the first Radeon it finds.

It would be a nice option for a future revision of the Radeon driver.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »19.05.17 - 22:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    A second Radeon is not an option as the Radeon driver only initializes the first Radeon it finds.
    It would be a nice option for a future revision of the Radeon driver.

I did not realize that using a 2nd Radeon video card does not work. That severely limits the options available for people wanting to run a 2nd unique display, on a 2nd monitor, or projector to a wall or screen.

Thanks for clarifying that bit of info for the OP, and users like me who often fall behind in comprehending exactly how all of the MorphOS system works.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »20.05.17 - 02:09
  • Just looking around
    EchsBachs
    So basically for now, and the foreseeable future, a 2nd monitor on my G5 is a no-go..

man, thats two strikes for me, the font issue on the HP Envy 34C monitor, and now this.

I guess I'll go back to the FONT issue... ha ha Thanks
  • »20.05.17 - 12:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

EchsBachs wrote:
    So basically for now, and the foreseeable future, a 2nd monitor on my G5 is a no-go..

man, thats two strikes for me, the font issue on the HP Envy 34C monitor, and now this.

I guess I'll go back to the FONT issue... ha ha Thanks

Well..I haven't gotten to work yet, but I'm still trying.
    I haven't heard as to whether the Rage128 PCI works.

You could go for a really high resolution setting on a larger single monitor.

I've heard that the Apple Radeon 9650 will drive monitors at a fairly high resolution.

[ Edited by Jim 20.05.2017 - 10:40 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »20.05.17 - 14:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    I've heard that the Apple Radeon 9650 will drive monitors at a fairly high resolution.

Isn't that true only for dual-DVI setup?
  • »20.05.17 - 16:34
    Kronos
    The genuine Apple 9650 (found in the 2.7GHz Dual) allways has 1 DualLink DVI output designed for the 30" CinemaDisplay at 2560x1600@60Hz.

Even bigger resolutions may work with lowering the refresh rate (if your monitor will display that).

Hooking up such a monitor to a PB with 128MB VRAM and closing the lid directly after powerup will also work.
  • »20.05.17 - 16:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    The genuine Apple 9650 (found in the 2.7GHz Dual) allways has 1 DualLink DVI output designed for the 30" CinemaDisplay at 2560x1600@60Hz.

Even bigger resolutions may work with lowering the refresh rate (if your monitor will display that).

The question remains however - will MorphOS work on dual DVI?
  • »20.05.17 - 17:48
    Kronos
    I think I answered that question 4152526 times.....

Been running 2560x1440 on a Dell 27" for some years.
  • »20.05.17 - 18:09