Font display Issue?
  • Just looking around
    EchsBachs
    Hey everyone,

So, I finally got Radeon X800 XT 256 for my G5, works great!

So now, I feel I am pushing some limits but here goes.

So I have two 32" monitors, i connected them, and they just duplicate displays, In reading it seems I can't do dual monitors off a single card at this time? (extended display). So I was kind of miffed having to use a single screen.

So, for the heck of it, I plugged the machine into my HP 34c (3440x1440 rez)

Amazingly, it came up at the proper res, all the icons and images look great!

Now the bad side, the fonts just don't display correctly, they almost look a bit hieroglyphic..

Is there something I can do? or am i missing? or is this just a no-go/pipe dream? :)
  • »17.05.17 - 12:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Could you provide a screenshot? What font sizes are you using? You might want to try disabling antialiasing.
  • »17.05.17 - 13:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    EchsBachs
    iEA8ah.jpg

I didn't try that. I can, but since I can read the fonts to turn it on or off, where exactly is the anti-aliasing option? :)
  • »17.05.17 - 13:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    EchsBachs
    Tried turing that off, even switching it to CRT, no change,

Interestingly enough when I change it. the "Save" and "Use" button's fonts fix themselves, but no other...
  • »17.05.17 - 15:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    EchsBachs
    So after tinkering around here is what I found.

As far as I can tell, the anti-aliasing changes don't seem to do much.

However, what I found is if I manually change the fonts to topaz 8/9 (bitmap) I the text is legible, but tiny. fixed fonts do NOT display correctly.

So things like my desktop icons and the fonts inside folders still look a mess..

I'm figuring it out, but I am NOT sure what the issue is...
  • »17.05.17 - 18:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    EchsBachs
    Any other ideas? I can run in Topaz 8/9 I guess, but the icons on the desktop, and in the folder, don't seem to change fonts, or, I am not changing them in the right location?
  • »18.05.17 - 14:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Icon fonts can be changed from Ambient Settings -> Icon Display -> Text Rendering.

Do you mean by "fixed fonts" fixed width fonts or something else? Fixed width fonts can be both bitmap and scalable (freetype) fonts, and maybe you should check if it's rather bitmap vs scalable issue?
  • »18.05.17 - 16:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    EchsBachs
    Sorry,

I blew away the install and went back to the single monitor for now. But, if I recall, the ONLY font that displayed corrected was the Topaz 8/9 PT one. But it wouldn't take the changes to the text on the desktop icons, or folders.

Oddly enough the Prefs panel displayed fine no matter what was selected.

I"ll rebuild it again, and send pictures of the settings and what results I see.
  • »19.05.17 - 15:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    To disable antialiasing, simply open Font system settings and set Anti-Aliasing cycle to None, save and reboot. My guess is that hardware acceleration fails on such high resolutions with your graphics card and that causes the issue.
  • »22.05.17 - 02:06
    Profile Visit Website