Updating Flacapella's cover fetching URL
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Hi,

Flacapella has stopped being able to fetch cover images for me. It seems it's trying to pull them from a cover searching site which I presume is now defunct.

Unfortunately I cannot find where to change its setting to a different site. There doesn't seem to be a config option for it, nor a config file or reference in the icon information.

Anyone else having this problem and know of a fix?

Thanks
  • »26.03.17 - 12:44
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Oh, that's a pity. I'll have to have a look at that...
  • »26.03.17 - 16:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Thank you! So it sounds like it's hard coded then so no point digging around for the setting then. Brilliant program though, by the way.
  • »26.03.17 - 17:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    It always seems a long time for Flacapella to recognise the built-in IDE DVD drive in my Mac Mini and/or the external USB DVD drive I have on my system, and sometimes it fails to find the CD in the drive before it offers the rescan or eject options - even though I tried to save these devices and other settings in Flacapella as Saved Settings.

Basically it seems Flacapella searches every time it is launched for a change to DVD/CD hardware, and until it has searched all available hardware it doesn't find any CD in any drive until they are all searched through and recognised within the program. :-o

It would be advantageous for there to be an option gadget to search for additional devices, but for there to be some devices capable of being 'saved' in the settings to avoid this situation.

Also, how can CD tracks be saved as MP3s instead of FLAC (Rip & Enclode) or WAV (Rip) files?

I know the program is called FLACapella for a reason, but as there is a custom option would this allow savings tracks as MP3s? :-)

I don't see any instructions that would help me to work out how to save them as MP3s using this 'custom' option, as I've only seen in the guide the instructions for saving tracks in the LAME custom fomat. :-(
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »26.03.17 - 18:44
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Also, how can CD tracks be saved as MP3s instead of FLAC (Rip & Enclode) or WAV (Rip) files?

I know the program is called FLACapella for a reason, but as there is a custom option would this allow savings tracks as MP3s? :-)

I don't see any instructions that would help me to work out how to save them as MP3s using this 'custom' option, as I've only seen in the guide the instructions for saving tracks in the LAME custom fomat. :-(

LAME is used to encode MP3 files, so any guides you have seen are for MP3 encoding.

I've written instructions to couple of places:
    Applications/Flacapella
    Tips and Tricks/Flacapella Settings for MP3 Encoding
  • »26.03.17 - 18:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Thanks for the guidance/information/tutorials jPV as I will find very useful the 2nd link, especially once Jacadcaps fixes the cover image downloading feature. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »26.03.17 - 19:23
  • Just looking around
    lordcoxis
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Oh, that's a pity. I'll have to have a look at that...

Was this ever fixed? I was trying to rip a couple of CDs today (Morphos 3.11) and could not get any of them to fetch the cover...

Thanks
  • »14.10.18 - 22:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    I think the problem is related to the fact that e.g. amazon servers don't support "plain" HTTP anymore and Reggae support doesn't handle HTTPS (yet).
  • »15.10.18 - 08:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    It is unfortunate, but since Reggae has no https support (hi krashan!), neither does Flacapella.
  • »15.10.18 - 11:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    lordcoxis
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I'm using Cover Art Archive to fetch images in my RNOInfoScreen program, and it still works with plain HTTP, buut of course it would be better if there'd be HTTPS support in Reggae... maybe Amazon or something else would bring a better selection of the latest albums etc..

Any chance of a "RNOID3Tag" to allow me to add the cover after ripping? ;) Or does something like this already exist for MorphOS?

@jacadcaps: do you think it would be possible to add a feature to allow local image selection for the cover? this would workaround the issue somehow...

Thanks
  • »16.10.18 - 18:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

lordcoxis wrote:
    Any chance of a "RNOID3Tag" to allow me to add the cover after ripping? ;) Or does something like this already exist for MorphOS?

I've been thinking about it and made some preliminary studying and testing, but those tags are huge mess with all standards and with all kinds of non-standard and broken tags in the wild. I've found pretty weird stuff from my mp3 collections, had to do all kinds of tricks to get those tags/images read by RNOInfoScreen. Add writing to the mess, and it all starts sounding a bit risky :) But maybe..... needs quite much work, but maybe I'll try after something else first.

I don't know any editor which would add images, and the existing tag editors (from 68k to native private betas) are otherwise quite buggy or lacking featurewise, so it would be quite welcome to get some kind of new editor I think.

[ Edited by jPV 16.10.2018 - 21:36 ]
  • »16.10.18 - 18:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Yeah, Flacapella fetches images again.

And I also released RNOTags, which can embed/remove/replace pictures in MP3 files. You can even add multiple images, not just cover. It required quite much work to code the program, but I'm really happy with the result, it became the best ID3 tag editor I know :) It supports huge amount of frames and doesn't break any like most other editors or operating systems (try editing tags in Win10 and it f*cks everything it doesn't recognize).
  • »03.10.19 - 13:28
    Profile Visit Website