A port of Libre Office ?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > maybe a big team wich realize the port on the 3 OS
    > (a mini group for each os: AmigaOS4, AROS, MorphOS) ?

How would A-Eon's commercial effort for OS4 fit into this?
  • »10.03.17 - 20:22
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    How about Google Docs? Does it work on morphos? Isn't it enough?
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »11.03.17 - 03:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    Well, better no Libreoffice port than a nightmare like the Papyrus port...
  • »11.03.17 - 05:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Quote:

How would A-Eon's commercial effort for OS4 fit into this?

Maybe we could propose to A-Eon if they are interested to port it on MorphOS (and AROS) ?

The bounty could be proposed to A-Eon or guys realize the port for AmigaOS4 or developer(s) want to port it...

If there is Libre Office on MorphOS and MorphOS on X5000 maybe there are more X5000 will be sold :-D
  • »11.03.17 - 13:15
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:

The bounty could be proposed to A-Eon or guys realize the port for AmigaOS4 or developer(s) want to port it...

"Guys" == 1 of the 3 Twins, so after one can book a skiing vacation at hotel Belzebub........
  • »11.03.17 - 16:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Leo schrieb:

An online office service is not alwysa what you want: online availablility, trustworthyness of the service providers. But beside from that last time I tried the office services from google and MS they pretty much worked quite okay. But for most things I prefer to keep my data under my control. Don't trust them, they're out ta get you ;-)
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »11.03.17 - 17:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sergius
    Quote:

Leo wrote:

Hi Leo,

unfortunatly, Google Docs under OWB crashes with big documents.

I write novels and no one of them can be opened in Google Docs with OWB.

I can do it with FireFox MacOSx or Firefox Windows but not in MorphOS.

A word processor is an indispensable application for a family operating system.
  • »11.03.17 - 17:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

sergius wrote:
    Quote:

Leo wrote:

Hi Leo,

unfortunatly, Google Docs under OWB crashes with big documents.

I write novels and no one of them can be opened in Google Docs with OWB.

I can do it with FireFox MacOSx or Firefox Windows but not in MorphOS.

A word processor is an indispensable application for a family operating system.

I totally agree that a good word processor is an essential part of almost every computer system and every OS should have at least one, if not several of them to choose from, but I don't think I would describe MorphOS as a "family operating system", it's just for geeks like us! ;-)
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »11.03.17 - 19:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote: An online office service is not always what you want: online availablility, trustworthyness of the service providers. But beside from that last time I tried the office services from google and MS they pretty much worked quite okay. But for most things I prefer to keep my data under my control. Don't trust them, they're out ta get you ;-)

I'd agree, retaining ownership of your own data is highly important, and I dislike/distrust using online office services, as just like Facebook, and Twitter, Instagram, etc., they all own your data once you give it to them, so I don't!

We need a good, fully functional wordprocessor that generally works in the way other platforms' wordprocessors work, certainly the way text is handled - keyboard commands/shortcuts, and with image manipulation, other features would also be advantageous, but a WP with text and image handling as a minimum is needed by this OS, and is basically overdue.

I only wish I was competent at programming (no ... I'm not a programmer so no helpul remarks that I should learn programming - particularly learning the intricacies of such complicated programming structures for a WP .... thanks!) or I'd have had a crack at it myself.
    Quote:

Amigadave wrote: I don't think I would describe MorphOS as a "family operating system", it's just for geeks like us! ;-)

I don't suppose it is a 'family OS' but it certainly deserves to be. However, please don't use the work 'geek' unless you put the work 'likeable' in front of it, as I get easily upset! Of course I don't, I've had to put up with jibes for years as a stalwart Amiga user then now MorphOS ... keep 'em coming :-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »11.03.17 - 20:34
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Hello,

do you think a port of Libre Office is possible on MorphOS ?

I can propose hardware and open a bounty for this project if there are developers can port it on MorphOS.

I think the A-EON port is using shared objects (like with Timberwolf) which are an OS4.1 thing only. It would need to be untied from that before a MorphOS port could be considered, I don't see any desire to implement a .so system on MorphOS.
  • »12.03.17 - 07:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    We need a good, fully functional wordprocessor that generally works in the way other platforms' wordprocessors work, certainly the way text is handled - keyboard commands/shortcuts, and with image manipulation, other features would also be advantageous, but a WP with text and image handling as a minimum is needed by this OS, and is basically overdue.

I'm hoping that a new version of Final Writer will eventually be released for MorphOS, Amiga68k, and AmigaOS4.x, that will have many new features, including support for import/export in file formats that are used on the mainstream platforms. If Terminiils can find the time, or the extra programmers to help him, we should see a new version released in the next few ?????
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »12.03.17 - 19:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I use PageStream 4.1.5.6 Pro a lot as that offers the option to write documents, and once installed on MorphOS so that all the features work correctly, as there are issues initially setting it up, as it doesn't handle/setup Fonts as it should, but I have it working now so that program is very useful, and it is generally quite stable running under MorphOS/Trance.

PageStream is great as it can save documents as PDF and has some limited table support, and of course it's great for DTP work though I'd really like to see a stable v5 of PageStream, but Deron Kazmaier hasn't seemed to be interested in the development/fixing of his program of recent times (over the last 5 years) which is a real pity. Though Frank Mariak apparently put some hours into its development and got it working well at a demonstration of MorphOS, but I haven't seen it available for sale/upgrade via PageStream, which is a darn shame.

I never really used Final Writer that much though I have FW4, FW5 & FW'97 but when I used FW5 which is only slightly different than FW'97 I believe, I got weird looking screens and odd handling of menus, etc., so I've not really bothered with it, though if a new stable and useable version is released then I'd be a customer as I believe PDF authoring has been adopted. I understand there are some other neat features that I miss as using WordWorth on MorphOS doesn't really work regards printing, well not for me, as it isn't really that well catered for in MorphOS, AFAIK. I know there is supposed to be TurboPrint on MorphOS, but I haven't really had that much success with it, and I prefer to use Zukow's Beta Printing system, that I believe is due to be fully integrated/implemented in v3.10 - whenever that gets released.

I always preferred WordWorth compared to Final Writer, but as WordWorth appears to have reached the end of its road, then it will have to be FinalWriter . . . unless something else that's useable comes along in the meantime - I'm not holding my breath.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »13.03.17 - 00:36
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Frankly, as I'm not too keen on porting a bulky package like Libre Office, AND I can't use the spreadsheet (as its not 100% Excel compatible), I'm leaning toward supporting Final Writer as well.

It at least native.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »13.03.17 - 14:34
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Frankly, as I'm not too keen on porting a bulky package like Libre Office, AND I can't use the spreadsheet (as its not 100% Excel compatible), I'm leaning toward supporting Final Writer as well.

It at least native.

Agree... And unable to show the ppts too.
  • »14.03.17 - 07:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    I think LibreOffice would be good for compatibility with other systems. To exchange office documents.
    With x64 such a huge application would have enough CPU power. However, on x64 there would be other and probably better options for browser based apps like Google Docs.
    On PPC I doubt that it will be sufficiently performant and I would also lean towards something more native like Final Writer.

Manfred

[ Edited by asrael22 14.03.2017 - 09:28 ]
  • »14.03.17 - 08:27
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:
    I think LibreOffice would be good for compatibility with other systems. To exchange office documents.
    With x64 such a huge application would have enough CPU power. However, on x64 there would be other and probably better options for browser based apps like Google Docs.
    On PPC I doubt that it will be sufficiently performant and I would also lean towards something more native like Final Writer.

Manfred

Again, LibreOffice has compatibility issues, so if I can't use the spreadsheet or the presentation software with my existing files, why not focus on native software?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »14.03.17 - 14:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote: An online office service is not always what you want: online availablility, trustworthyness of the service providers. But beside from that last time I tried the office services from google and MS they pretty much worked quite okay. But for most things I prefer to keep my data under my control. Don't trust them, they're out ta get you ;-)

I'd agree, retaining ownership of your own data is highly important, and I dislike/distrust using online office services, as just like Facebook, and Twitter, Instagram, etc., they all own your data once you give it to them, so I don't!

I only wish I was competent at programming (no ... I'm not a programmer so no helpul remarks that I should learn programming - particularly learning the intricacies of such complicated programming structures for a WP .... thanks!) or I'd have had a crack at it myself.
    Quote:

Amigadave wrote: I don't think I would describe MorphOS as a "family operating system", it's just for geeks like us! ;-)

I don't suppose it is a 'family OS' but it certainly deserves to be. However, please don't use the work 'geek' unless you put the work 'likeable' in front of it, as I get easily upset! Of course I don't, I've had to put up with jibes for years as a stalwart Amiga user then now MorphOS ... keep 'em coming :-D

Yes. I also think MorphOS is capable of being a Family Operating System. Only wanting audience: "Geeks Like Us" is not expanding the audience.

And about "Social" media, where the website always change the layout to appear to be more private, and people think it is private, but it is never private. Posting something online is no different than mailing a letter to somebody or being in the newspaper. If you want you letter back after sending it, it is unlikely you will get it back. And the same thing applies to newspaper. A TV Episode from The Arthur Show: When D.W. Read was tricked into eating a green potato chip and was told it was poisonous, her family put this story in the newspaper and humiliated her. She demanded they grab every newspaper and recycle it. Her attempt to destroy her embarrassing story had failed; They redelivered more newspapers.

If somebody wants to post online they should be proud of the words or picture or film they are uploading and not be bothered by whoever might see it. Expect anybody to see it. Expect everybody to see it. If you do not want that possibility, then simply do not post it. If you really want to post to certain people then simply call, text, email it to them. "Address Book" and "Contacts" lists were exist very long time before "Friends" List ever had. Add their name to the message and then Send it. They even have "Direct Message" function also on these silly "Social" websites. But the best thing to do is if you do not want the content to "fall into wrong hands" then keep the content to yourself.

If I ever post something I do not bother with the illusion of Privacy Settings. I double check the content is satisfactory or if it is embarrassing. And then I post it. But I never post on any "Social" websites. Actually I do not like how everybody Flocks from one website to another (even a web browser was named Flock!) ... And if I create a Social Networking called "Cliff" then I would write "Sign up today to Jump Off The Cliff!" because there is a saying "If everybody jump off cliff, will you jump off?" The reply today is: "If Jumping Off Of The Cliff Is Trending, Then Absolutely!". Also, the "Social" (reposting chain letters) platforms are now only available for the "Trending" Smart Phones. I will keep my current telephone devices for years. I do not want to upgrade it twice in the same day. And I have also learned that I prefer not using any website that has "Friend" List. And I have no interest in Chain Letters which means I do not want to watch people "share" the Chain Letters constantly.

My reply to the topic was not necessarily a concern of privacy. It is the concern of people not even realizing that it is actually not private. And every time I even read about "Social Networks" ...

Please Excuse My Rant.
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »14.03.17 - 15:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

Quote:

Yes. I also think MorphOS is capable of being a Family Operating System. Only wanting audience: "Geeks Like Us" is not expanding the audience.

And about "Social" media, where the website always change the layout to appear to be more private, and people think it is private, but it is never private. Posting something online is no different than mailing a letter to somebody or being in the newspaper. If you want you letter back after sending it, it is unlikely you will get it back. And the same thing applies to newspaper. A TV Episode from The Arthur Show: When D.W. Read was tricked into eating a green potato chip and was told it was poisonous, her family put this story in the newspaper and humiliated her. She demanded they grab every newspaper and recycle it. Her attempt to destroy her embarrassing story had failed; They redelivered more newspapers.

If somebody wants to post online they should be proud of the words or picture or film they are uploading and not be bothered by whoever might see it. Expect anybody to see it. Expect everybody to see it. If you do not want that possibility, then simply do not post it. If you really want to post to certain people then simply call, text, email it to them. "Address Book" and "Contacts" lists were exist very long time before "Friends" List ever had. Add their name to the message and then Send it. They even have "Direct Message" function also on these silly "Social" websites. But the best thing to do is if you do not want the content to "fall into wrong hands" then keep the content to yourself.

If I ever post something I do not bother with the illusion of Privacy Settings. I double check the content is satisfactory or if it is embarrassing. And then I post it. But I never post on any "Social" websites. Actually I do not like how everybody Flocks from one website to another (even a web browser was named Flock!) ... And if I create a Social Networking called "Cliff" then I would write "Sign up today to Jump Off The Cliff!" because there is a saying "If everybody jump off cliff, will you jump off?" The reply today is: "If Jumping Off Of The Cliff Is Trending, Then Absolutely!". Also, the "Social" (reposting chain letters) platforms are now only available for the "Trending" Smart Phones. I will keep my current telephone devices for years. I do not want to upgrade it twice in the same day. And I have also learned that I prefer not using any website that has "Friend" List. And I have no interest in Chain Letters which means I do not want to watch people "share" the Chain Letters constantly.

My reply to the topic was not necessarily a concern of privacy. It is the concern of people not even realizing that it is actually not private. And every time I even read about "Social Networks" ...

Please Excuse My Rant.

If this software not already exist, then I suggest this type of software:

They have Computer Based Email Client which interfaces with the Web Based Email, and you do not have to have to use the Web Browser?

Perhaps there could be a MorphOS Developed software that interface with Google Docs. This gives people the option to use Google Docs in a Office Suite computer based application.

And they can back up their files to Google Docs or decide to only store it locally. If a new Office Suite was designed by MorphOS Developers, it will be superior. :-D

Should a Bounty be launched?
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »14.03.17 - 15:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:
    And they can back up their files to Google Docs or decide to only store it locally. If a new Office Suite was designed by MorphOS Developers, it will be superior. :-D

Should a Bounty be launched?

A Google Drive connector actually is available for MorphOS and it works. Well, ok. I only tested it with DropBox.

Designing a office suite from scratch is an enormous undertaking. I would rather take a look what is already being developed.
    Like Ignition spreadsheet, which is unfortunately not available on MorphOS. LibreCalc add-ons could be developed for it.
    Then there is FinalWriter. Probably possible to also enhance it for ODS formats.
    MUIBase?

Manfred
  • »14.03.17 - 17:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Perhaps there could be a MorphOS Developed software that interface with Google Docs.

The Google Docs frontend is written in HTML5. There already is a "MorphOS Developed software that interface" with HTML5 :-)
  • »14.03.17 - 22:15
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:

Manfred

Again, LibreOffice has compatibility issues, so if I can't use the spreadsheet or the presentation software with my existing files, why not focus on native software?

Not with ODT, but M$ kept DOCX format quite closed a long time. Gladly, new Offices support ODT too,
    just not as default format.

I have used Libre 3.x on Ubuntu 12 on x1000, and most recent 5.x on UbuntuMATE and even Windows
    and situation has greatly improved, for Word Documents and Presentations at least.
    I dont use Excel / Libre spreadshit.

It is fast, reliable and rich office package. Once it loads it quickly opens any mentioned type
    of document, which is a great concept. It doesnt slow much with large documents, unlike M$.

And keeps menus alive :-)

Surely, I would love to see Final Writter by Terminilis and USB Printing support as
    major milestones.

As of AmigaOS4 port it was "nearly done" and "almost betatesting" at time I purchased OS4,
    couple years ago. And I suppose its 3.x
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »16.03.17 - 01:51
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

As of AmigaOS4 port it was "nearly done" and "almost betatesting" at time I purchased OS4,
    couple years ago. And I suppose its 3.x

What? I hope you're not talking about Final Writer. The AROS version has always and will always be the first release. As for AOS4 that will happen when it happens and frankly I would expect to see a native MorphOS version first. ;)

[ Edited by terminills 16.03.2017 - 09:05 ]
  • »16.03.17 - 09:02