I'm really enjoying the value (money wise) of MorphOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Some people dont like bitter truth, but it is obvious, new hardware which cost as much as slowest sam and is 30 times slower is overpriced, underpowered crap.
    Yes vampire is overpriced, underpowered crap.
  • »05.04.17 - 04:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:
    Some people dont like bitter truth, but it is obvious, new hardware which cost as much as slowest sam and is 30 times slower is overpriced, underpowered crap.

Yes it's a real shame that you are forced to buy one against your will.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »05.04.17 - 12:01
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:

no its not, because it is targeting the classic amiga/retro market as a classic amiga accelerator board and compared to existing/used and new available accelerators for the amiga it is pretty cheap for what it offers. you clearly mix up two totally different things. Vampire is a retro product aiming to compete in the retro market whereas MorphOS, Sam, X1000, OS4 etc are made to compete with modern operating systems- to a certain extent at least. So actually, it is the NG Amiga line which is way overpriced and underpowered - or to say it in your words: it is crap.
    Thats like saying an IPhone 7 or Samsung is way too overpriced and underpowered crap for the price you pay, because almost every modern PC in that price range is way better.

[ Edited by Cego 05.04.2017 - 15:23 ]
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »05.04.17 - 15:21
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

kolla wrote:
    I can only chip in why I do not use MorphOS much, and it has really been the same issue all the time.

* license model - to tie the license to hardware it just not something I accept, I have several systems that potentially could be running MorphOS, and I want to decide myself which one I want to use for whatever OS, MorphOS included.
    * MorphOS does not run on emulator, so I cannot easily bring it with me. In contrast, I can now easily run OS4.1FE (that I did buy) on whatever hardware I see fit.

And yet, for the most part, Windows licenses are tied to hardware.

No, they certainly are not.

Windows has a whole range of options when it comes to the license, only one of them (OEM, Home Edition) is tied to hardware.
    I own a license that I use for virtual instance of Windows on whatever hardware I see fit.
    -- kolla
  • »05.04.17 - 15:40
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    OS4.1FE Classic makes an exception, because it can be run in the emulation, but if you run them on the hardware they are designed, they are also quite tied to hardware in practise. AmigaONE X1000, older AmigaONEs, Classic PPC, Pegasos 2, Sam440, and Sam460 all need a different version of the OS4. If you have bought one version, it doesn't work on different type of machine, and if you have several types of machines, you need to buy several copies of the OS.

Not really no.

The differences in OS4.1 releases are in bootstrapping, and for example the last update has bootstrapping files for _all_ the systems, not just classic. To move an installation from "classic" to native non-classic, or changing between the different non-classic hardware options is neither impossible nor breaking the license.

[ Edited by kolla 05.04.2017 - 17:01 ]
    -- kolla
  • »05.04.17 - 15:59
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    @ Kolla

ALL windows licenses, unless they are institutional licenses, are for one machine.
    You violate the EULA if you want.
    I'm not that cheap.

One key, one installation.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »05.04.17 - 16:30
    Kronos
    In order to "violate" an EULA it needs to be a legally binding contract, which they aren't in most cases and most countries
  • »06.04.17 - 08:20
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    In order to "violate" an EULA it needs to be a legally binding contract, which they aren't in most cases and most countries

Does that means that I can do whatever I want with MorphOS?

And, in the US, the intentional circumvention of methods of copyright protection is a crime.

Further, unlike many Amigans, I believe IP owners deserve to be compensated for the use of their property.

Its just a matter of morality, ethics, honesty, and what is right.
  • »06.04.17 - 11:00
    Kronos
    I was merely commenting on the legalty of 1 OS4 or Windows copy being used on more than 1 computer, which is considered within "fair use" as long as it's only 1 machine at a time.

Circumventing a copy protection is grey area ( cc has to be "working" to have any legal effect).

If you were to find that the last 100bit of the MorphOS key are just the registered MAC address base64 encoded you were good to replace them matching a different HW (and use 1 at a time).
    If more effort was needed you may run into it being defined as "working".

All seen from Germany/Europe offcourse.
  • »06.04.17 - 11:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> In order to "violate" an EULA it needs to be a legally binding contract,
    >> which they aren't in most cases and most countries

> Does that means that I can do whatever I want with MorphOS?

Certainly not, but for instance item #1 of the terms of use for MorphOS 1.4.5 for PowerUP ("[...] may only be used on PowerPC accelerator cards by phase5/DCE. Usage on any other hardware and/or inside of emulation environments is strictly forbidden.") doesn't seem to conform to EU law.
  • »06.04.17 - 12:47
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >"[...] may only be used on PowerPC accelerator cards by phase5/DCE. Usage on any other hardware and/or inside of emulation environments is strictly forbidden."

Interesting.
  • »06.04.17 - 14:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Interesting.

Yes, it was discussed some years back when WinUAE was about to get PPC emulation. So far, no version of MorphOS has been made to run in a publicly available version of an emulator.
  • »06.04.17 - 17:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:

You sir have a mental condition, and need to seek help from a medical professional. Your obsession is not healthy.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.04.17 - 22:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    The G4 laptop I have works excellent. I like tinkering with my original A2k with an Indivision, HD, Gotek. Its cool but man, fiddling around with original hardware and getting the correct resolution, HD setup, cards, etc is a pain in the ass. For example, the Indivision ECS for the A2k, doesnt work with the 3 widescreens I tried. I went and bought a 17" non-widescreen and it works. Just little stuff. Maybe a floppy drive doesnt work or a card here or there doesnt..

When I boot up my G4 PB with MorphOS, everything works (other than built in wifi sometimes doesnt connect and is a pain in the ass), its fast, cheap, take it whereever I want. MorphOS Devs definitely made it worth my time and money to get a PB.
  • »07.04.17 - 03:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    I'm pretty happy as well with my PB G4.
    Usually I have it on a 24" screen. It's great. But when I unplug it MorphOS doesn't automatically switch back to the laptop screen resolution.
    That's pretty much the only complaint I have.

Manfred
  • »07.04.17 - 07:24
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    +1 satisfied user here.
    The USB port's weaknesses could be my main complaint... but this problem could be originated to Apple.
  • »07.04.17 - 10:59
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I'm really happy with the OS myself.

The hardware support has been great.
    My G4 boots from an SATA hard drive, with a SoundBlaster sound card, and a Radeon 9600 video card.

Overall, it runs quite a bit better than if I was using OSX.
  • »07.04.17 - 14:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    One of the most useful features of MorphOS for me, at the moment, is FileImageCtrl. I'm trying to transfer stuff to my Amiga 2000's Gotek USB floppy, so I mount an ADF using FileImageCtrl, copy what I need, unmount, copy ADF to USB stick and then insert into the Gotek USB drive.

While using MorphOS on my PB there are things that are obviously much better and faster. DiskMaster 2 looks better, runs better etc.

Still very fun though!
  • »17.04.17 - 02:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    @TheMagicM

Do you have any custom diskmaster 2 prefs to share or are you using the stock one? How can you make diskmaster run on pub screen when editing the prefs file? Where do you place the rexxx commands? Sorry for lots of questions but I have toying with it myself already and couldn't figure out some aspects of it :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »17.04.17 - 12:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    @Cool_amigaN

I wish I had some bad ass config file like that. LOL. no pub screen unfortunately. I'd love to do that. I run it 800x600 though on its own screen.
  • »18.04.17 - 13:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Quote:

Vampire is a retro product aiming to compete in the retro market whereas MorphOS, Sam, X1000, OS4 etc are made to compete with modern operating systems- to a certain extent at least.

All old software still worth opf use runs very well on ppc Amigas.
    There is no reason to buy overpriced, underpowered crap like vampire.
    Slow crap without FPU and MMU.

[ Edited by ppcamiga1 11.06.2017 - 05:28 ]
  • »11.06.17 - 05:28