Multi OS install
  • Just looking around
    lerche
    Hi

I want to install OS X 10.4, 10,5 and MorphOS on the same PowerBook (5.8)

Have any of you succeed doing that??

[ Edited by lerche 04.03.2017 - 09:01 ]
    Best regards

Henry Lerche Rasmussen
    Denmark
  • »04.03.17 - 09:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Double install is quite easy, but I've never thought about triple (two OSX) one.
  • »04.03.17 - 09:11
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    It's been a while since I did a dual install on a Mac. From memory MorphOS has to be installed on an internal drive. OSX does not. So unless you have a large internal drive one or both of your OSX's can be on an external drive.

Have fun.
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »05.03.17 - 13:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    If you find some general Mac dual-boot instructions for several OSX installations, MorphOS can always be added afterwards if you just leave some space for it... or MorphOS first and maybe OSX's later depending how the dual boot goes with them :) Anyway, I think the key question here is if you can do dualboot with OSX's easily. MorphOS will always work with its own boot partition etc.
  • »05.03.17 - 14:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    I've multi-booted OSX on PPC Macs in the past without issue. That should not be an issue. Besides holding down the Option Key during boot you can select or while running OSX go into the System Preferences and select Startup Disk.
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »05.03.17 - 16:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

fmh wrote:
    I've multi-booted OSX on PPC Macs in the past without issue. That should not be an issue. Besides holding down the Option Key during boot you can select or while running OSX go into the System Preferences and select Startup Disk.

Over time, I have stopped using OSX entirely, its not updated for PPCs and don't I run MacOS on my X64 platforms.
    So my Macs only have MorphOS installed on them (although I'll occasionally play around with Linux).

Personally, since we now have cores and memory to spare, instead of switching between OSX and MorphOS, I'd like to see a Linux distro that could be run on the unused excess capacities of some of our higher end systems (concurrently with MorphOS).

Updating Ambient to handle the display duties for two OS' probably would not be as difficult as some of the other proposed upgrades.
    And if SMP was ever enabled in MorphOS, it would still be nice to be able to support more than one environment.
    And Linux could provide a quick path to full OpenGL compatibility.

I'm not proposing a replacement of Quark here, just a possible expansion idea (low hanging fruit again, I know).
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »05.03.17 - 17:40
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    I have 2 osx and morphos in ibook
    First was 10.4, after 10.5 and the remaining space is Morphos
  • »05.03.17 - 19:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > we now have cores [...] to spare

Just one single core, until the X5000/40 gets supported.

> I'd like to see a Linux distro that could be run on the unused excess capacities of
    > some of our higher end systems (concurrently with MorphOS).

That would be nice. Pity that Apple irreversibly disabled the PPC970's hypervisor in their G5 machines via firmware.

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9326&forum=11&start=15

> Linux could provide a quick path to full OpenGL compatibility.

...within the Linux environment ;-)
  • »05.03.17 - 20:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Personally, since we now have cores and memory to spare, instead of switching between OSX and MorphOS, I'd like to see a Linux distro that could be run on the unused excess capacities of some of our higher end systems (concurrently with MorphOS).

Sounds like you would enjoy something like A.L.I.C.E., but built for MorphOS, instead of AmigaOS3.x. I am not sure how the A.L.I.C.E. system works with multiple CPUs, or CPU cores, but I assume that any Linux software run on the A.L.I.C.E. system, would still be capable of using all available CPUs/Cores, while the AmigaOS3.x running would be limited to a single CPU/Core.

Quote:

And Linux could provide a quick path to full OpenGL compatibility.

That would be provided with A.L.I.C.E., but only for the Linux programs running transparently from the A.L.I.C.E. desktop.

Quote:

I'm not proposing a replacement of Quark here, just a possible expansion idea (low hanging fruit again, I know).

An A.L.I.C.E. like solution for MorphOS, would require replacement of Quark, as it would be running on top of a minimal Linux system, if I understand how A.L.I.C.E. works correctly.

I have been meaning to install an A.L.I.C.E. system on one of my computers for a while now, so I could check it out more closely, but haven't taken the time to do it yet. It seems to me to be a very desirable choice for an all-in-one Amiga-Like system, that can also run most Linux and Windows (through WINE) software applications and games, transparently, just as if such software were running natively on AmigaOS3.x.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »05.03.17 - 23:05
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    I've done it, and also installed linux, for a total of four os's on one powerbook :)

It wasn't super hard. I can't remember the details but as long as you use OSX to partition the disk initially and you ensure you create the required boot partition for morphos, it isn't too bad.
  • »06.03.17 - 00:17
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >Just one single core, until the X5000/40 gets supported.

Or we can convince them to port to a Quad G5.
    And you have to wonder why the hypervisor there was disabled.
    After all, Apple loves control schemes and proprietary technologies.

>> Linux could provide a quick path to full OpenGL compatibility.

>...within the Linux environment ;-)

Yeah, that IS the ugly part.

At least I didn't suggest concurrent BSD (although in a weird way that would be one step closer to OSX).
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »06.03.17 - 00:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Or we can convince them to port to a Quad G5.

MorphOS does run on a Quad G5, the question is - will this version ever be public?
  • »06.03.17 - 06:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > you have to wonder why the hypervisor there was disabled.

My IBM-related suspicion is stated in the comment I linked to :-)
  • »06.03.17 - 09:02