Hints and rumoured sightings of the very shy 3.10
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    1080p H264/x264 mkv are being played flawless on G5 2.5Ghz. 720p h264 mkv are okish on PMac 3.1 G4 1.6Ghz. Buffering when skipping forward/backward is a problem but I assume that is caused due to the very slow and old IDE HD interface of my main system. Streaming over lan from a NAS is ok too. Highly compressed MP4 are usually proved to be a problem on the other hand.

With the G4, it could be a hard drive issue. And there is a fairly wide variation in how 720P videos are encoded.
    In any case, since redrumloa equipped the G4 I have with an SATA controller, I have an easy path to upgrading to an SSD (if I can find an SATA1 compatible drive).

BTW guys, I have an IDE to SATA adapter here I haven't tried yet that I'll eventually install on a dual layer SATA DVD-RW drive to see if that works. It would make upgrading to a dual layer drive easier than trying to dig up a PATA DVD drive.

Oh, and the G5's playback capability has been known for awhile, but the cpu utilization is still way too high with 1080P video.
    "Fiery the angels rose, and as they rose deep thunder roll'd / Around their shores: indignant burning with the fires of Orc."

"Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »08.02.17 - 20:16
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    I play movies in 720p on my pbook g4 1.5ghz whith a slow 5400 rpm hard drive have you tried to raise the stack of your filesystem?
  • »08.02.17 - 20:50
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

acepeg wrote:
    I play movies in 720p on my pbook g4 1.5ghz whith a slow 5400 rpm hard drive have you tried to raise the stack of your filesystem?

I'm pretty impressed with the data rates a 2.5" drive can produce, even the 5400 rpm models.
    I have them in two different X64 systems.
    They tend to be faster than 10K rpm 3.5" WD Raptors.
    "Fiery the angels rose, and as they rose deep thunder roll'd / Around their shores: indignant burning with the fires of Orc."

"Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »08.02.17 - 21:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> High-profile H264 in 720p didn't work too well on my 1.5 GHz Mac mini.

> Really? Can you send me the file you tried so I can check it out?

This was the case with virtually all Youtube videos (except rather static ones like OS screen captures).
  • »08.02.17 - 23:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Any word on 3.10?
  • »23.02.17 - 00:34
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    koszer
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Any word on 3.10?

I've seen it running just a few days ago. My source claims that the release is imminent, but won't happen in at least one month (it pointed at June perhaps, but don't beat me if 3.10 comes later. Or earlier).
  • »23.02.17 - 05:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    NewSense
    I was wondering if OWB is being updated for the next MorphOS release could I ask if it has been considered to add a gadget button (+) at the end of the TAB strip of windows to allow a 'New Tab' (+ gadget) to be opened as a result of that left click so you don't have to keep spawning a new window either by Cmd+T or right mouse click on a Tab and choose New Tab, as having the gadget would make it a lot easier - anyone else with an opinion on this request feature?

I'd also like when I go through my bookmarks and find the one I want to open to be able to either middle-click to directly open the bookmark in a New Tab, or right mouse-click to choose if I wanted to open it with as many options as possible (in same window/Tab or in a New Tab, or in a New Window, etc.). The option to open a Quick-Link in the same already opened Tab/Window or a New Tab or a New Window
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, Model 10.2, 64MB VRam, 250GB HDD, 1GB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, DVD-RW-DL+CD-RW, Iomega MiniMax, Belkin 6 port 3 x Firewire/3 x USB2, MorphOS 3.9, Mac OS X 10.4 & 10.5 & A1138 Powerbook MOS v3.9, Model 5,8
  • »28.02.17 - 20:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

NewSense schrieb:
    I was wondering if OWB is being updated for the next MorphOS release could I ask if it has been considered to add a gadget button (+) at the end of the TAB strip of windows to allow a 'New Tab' (+ gadget) to be opened as a result of that left click so you don't have to keep spawning a new window either by Cmd+T or right mouse click on a Tab and choose New Tab, as having the gadget would make it a lot easier - anyone else with an opinion on this request feature?

What about the gadget button (+) in front of the URL line?
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.9
  • »01.03.17 - 21:54
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

I'd also like when I go through my bookmarks and find the one I want to open to be able to either middle-click to directly open the bookmark in a New Tab, or right mouse-click to choose if I wanted to open it with as many options as possible (in same window/Tab or in a New Tab, or in a New Window, etc.). The option to open a Quick-Link in the same already opened Tab/Window or a New Tab or a New Window

I see that button in all other browser. Firefox, Safari, etc.
    But actually I don't use it at all. A feature I wouldn't need.

Manfred
  • »02.03.17 - 09:42
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    Quote:

I've seen it running just a few days ago. My source claims that the release is imminent, but won't happen in at least one month (it pointed at June perhaps, but don't beat me if 3.10 comes later. Or earlier).

awesome! i'm really looking forward to having something that unleashes the potential of my X5000. MOS+updated odyssey should be a great combo.

-- eliyahu
    Check out the latest on next-generation Amiga computing at IntuitionBase.com!
  • »02.03.17 - 14:37
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    Quote:

NewSense schrieb:

What about the gadget button (+) in front of the URL line?

Yes, it is already there, and for me it is already a waste of space. And if youz have a few tabs open you have to scroll around anyway to reach it. Cmd+T is the quickest way and always works.
  • »02.03.17 - 17:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    NewSense
    Quote:

polluks wrote: What about the gadget button (+) in front of the URL line?

Well, knock me down with a rolled up copy of the Amiga Future magazine! I never noticed that button specifically - even though it has MUI Bubble-Help as my mouse rarely goes within that area of the browser, but you have 'enlightened me' - I am so grateful. :-D

It's just a pity that it's not moveable to where you want to place/position it on the page/Tab area, but I can live with that I suppose, after all it's been there all that time, and I hadn't even noticed it. :-o
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, Model 10.2, 64MB VRam, 250GB HDD, 1GB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, DVD-RW-DL+CD-RW, Iomega MiniMax, Belkin 6 port 3 x Firewire/3 x USB2, MorphOS 3.9, Mac OS X 10.4 & 10.5 & A1138 Powerbook MOS v3.9, Model 5,8
  • »02.03.17 - 18:31