smbfs and samba newer than 4.5.0
  • fx
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    fx
    I just spent quite some time trying to figure out why my MorphOS machine (and my Amiga 4000) didn't want to connect my Samba shares anymore, and thought this might be useful for others who might have upgraded samba recently.

After some digging around and getting samba to actually log something I could see that the password authentication failed, so I checked through the changelog of samba to see if they had changed anything and in the changelog for 4.5.0 I found this:

Code:
    NTLMv1 authentication disabled by default
    -----------------------------------------

In order to improve security we have changed
    the default value for the "ntlm auth" option from
    "yes" to "no". This may have impact on very old
    clients which doesn't support NTLMv2 yet.

The primary user of NTLMv1 is MSCHAPv2 for VPNs and 802.1x.

By default, Samba will only allow NTLMv2 via NTLMSSP now,
    as we have the following default "lanman auth = no",
    "ntlm auth = no" and "raw NTLMv2 auth = no".

So I simply added these lines to my smb.conf:

Code:
       lanman auth = yes
    ntlm auth = yes
    raw NTLMv2 auth = yes

And now everything works again! I guess not all of these are needed for smbfs but since I have blocked samba access from the outside I didn't really dig deeper.
  • »02.01.17 - 14:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Thanks for sharing this! At the moment I am running samba 4.2.11 on my gentoo-box for file-sharing with my MorphOS-clients. But as soon as 4.5.x would hit stable in gentoo I would have had the same problem and the need for annoying research. ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »02.01.17 - 17:48