USB-Printer
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GMKai
    How does one bind a printer device to the respective class?

My Printer "HP Laserjet Pro 400 M401a" gets bound to "Mass storage" when MorphOS is already running,
    and, restarting within Poseidon leads to a hung system.
    When first starting the printer and then starting the Macmini, the device is shown as "dead", but a "powercycle" makes it work.

What can/has to be done to make the printer work out of the box without rebooting, waiting for it to be started?
  • »23.12.16 - 07:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    You can try force binding to printer.class. Maybe it will help.

But I think the better way is to print over network (useing netprinter.device). As I can see, your version of HP Laserjet Pro 400 M401a does'nt support network, so it may be helpfull to use a (W)LAN2USB-Printer-server. I do the same with an old Laserjet6P (WLAN2Parallel) and it works perfect under MOS.......
    btw: even an old Seikosha SL80 needle-printer does it that way....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »23.12.16 - 15:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    If I've read your HP Laserjet Pro 400 M401a printer specs correctly then your printer supports - Print languages of:-

HP PCL 5e,
    HP PCL 6,
    HP Postscript Level 3 emulation,
    direct PDF (v 1.7) printing

With my HP 2500 Color Laserjet that is a PostScript enabled printer, I use Michał "rzookol" Żukowski's Beta prining system that uses "USBPAR:" - along with a few support files you have to copy to your MorphOS folder (which is the ONLY time I add anything to my MorphOS folder - which is not otherwise recommended) and that "USBPAR:" device works for virtually everything that you can send as a Postscript file (PAR: on Classic Amiga systems).

The files should be available via - Michał "rzookol" Żukowski's Beta printing "USBPAR:" - READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY

Having said that, I just tried the above link and it was inactive, and I don't know where the files might be otherwise, though I do have a copy of the files for my own backup purposes.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »23.12.16 - 19:03
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Sorry, i don't have brain.umcs.lublin.pl anymore. I'll upload archives to the Aminet.
  • »23.12.16 - 20:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Thanks Zukow, that's appreciated, especially the prompt reply, and have a very Merry Christmas, and to all.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »24.12.16 - 04:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GMKai
    Thanks for the given hints,

I really would like to avoid more hardware here.

Printing is fine sofar,
    so exchanging the printer-driver does not help that much.

Problem is limited to USB-connectivity and order of powering up printer and computer. Any more on this?
  • »24.12.16 - 06:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    As I wrote first: force him to printer.class and save prefs.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »24.12.16 - 10:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I get a USB system freeze, which does not affect the rest of the system, when I connect my Scanner and initiate SCANdal, and do some scanning.

Which means if I was to then disconnect my printer I would not get it to show up on the system again, unless I reboot, as a USB "Restart" does not fix this issue, it just locks up the entire MOS system if I click in the USB prefs to initiate a USB "Restart" and then I have to warm reboot there and then.

Wheras leaving it alone, even though the printer and scanner or whatever hardware is disconnected the system will carry on until whichever next piece of USB connected hardware is disconnected.

I presume it could be a piece of hardware drawing more power from the USB circuit than it has been 'trusted' to do, but it could be a software issue, as it only seems to happen after I have connected/used my Epson 1640SU scanner through SCANdal.

This information may not relate to your problem, but I thought I would offer it as a suggestion as to the cause - what's the harm. ;-)
  • »24.12.16 - 19:21