G4 Mac Mini MorphOS Skin
  • Just looking around
    relyt
    I came across this thread from a few years ago that discussed the availability of a MorphOS skin for the Mac Mini. It looked like someone from Germany was selling them. The referenced thread has been inactive for a while, so I figured I'd start a new one to express interest in purchasing one. Any of you guys across the pond know how I can go about ordering a skin like this or similar?

Example photo here (not mine - referenced from Google Images):
    1.jpg
    UDP packet bar walks a into.
  • »01.12.16 - 06:17
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    me2
    regards
    eliot
  • »01.12.16 - 09:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Something like that could probably be done quite simply with a good quality piece of white card/paper, colour laser printer and then put into a hot laminate pouch, and the paper pre-cut/shaped to suit the rounded edges of the top of the MacMini before it was laminated - and the clear folded edges slid down the edge of the top of the Mac Mini, with a double-sided sticky backing to hold it in position. The Morph butterfly is easy to source, and the name can probably be typed out, as long as the MorphOS guys are OK with it being used for this purpose, and can supply the correct typeface, if that is an issue.

Or, were you meaning something more professionally done like a plastic/acrylic sheet with the artwork etched/screen printed onto the surface?

The problem, as far as I see it, if it was on a plastic/acrylic surface thicker than a few microns is how to keep it 'flush' with the top, as there would be no way to get the edges down the edge of the aluminium housing.

(yes - it's A l u m i n i u m, as you don't refer to Potassium as - P o t a s s u m, or Calcium as - C a l c u m, or Magnesium as - M a g n e s u m, or Plutonium as - P l u t o n u m . . . now do you?) 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »02.12.16 - 02:07
  • Just looking around
    relyt
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Something like that could probably be done quite simply with a good quality piece of white card/paper, colour laser printer and then put into a hot laminate pouch, and the paper pre-cut/shaped to suit the rounded edges of the top of the MacMini before it was laminated - and the clear folded edges slid down the edge of the top of the Mac Mini, with a double-sided sticky backing to hold it in position. The Morph butterfly is easy to source, and the name can probably be typed out, as long as the MorphOS guys are OK with it being used for this purpose, and can supply the correct typeface, if that is an issue.

Or, were you meaning something more professionally done like a plastic/acrylic sheet with the artwork etched/screen printed onto the surface?

The problem, as far as I see it, if it was on a plastic/acrylic surface thicker than a few microns is how to keep it 'flush' with the top, as there would be no way to get the edges down the edge of the aluminium housing.

(yes - it's A l u m i n i u m, as you don't refer to Potassium as - P o t a s s u m, or Calcium as - C a l c u m, or Magnesium as - M a g n e s u m, or Plutonium as - P l u t o n u m . . . now do you?) 8-D

Haha! Actually, in American English, we DO spell it aluminUM. So, you know, potato or potatio.

What I had in mind was just an adhesive vinyl skin that would adhere (or cling) directly to the existing acrylic. There is a website that offers skins for these Mac Mini's, but they don't allow you to create a custom one for this model.
  • »02.12.16 - 02:27
  • Just looking around
    drakon
    Hi folks,
    I can make a stickers like in the photo. High quality vinyl foil with laminate, pre-cutted. But i didn't have the dimensions, cause i don't have MacMini actually.
    Here are examples of my stickers:

n1arma.jpg
    11h8mfa.jpg
    Experience the future!
  • »02.12.16 - 07:53
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

relyt wrote:
    Any of you guys across the pond know how I can go about ordering a skin like this or similar?

There are numerous vendors that are still selling custom skins for older Mac Minis. Here is an example of a company located in the United States: StyleFlip

You can upload any picture you like and they will print it on a skin for you. At $14.95 USD plus shipping, the costs seem reasonable.
  • »02.12.16 - 08:37
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

drakon wrote:
    Hi folks,
    I can make a stickers like in the photo. High quality vinyl foil with laminate, pre-cutted. But i didn't have the dimensions, cause i don't have MacMini actually.

Where are you located?
  • »02.12.16 - 08:51
  • Just looking around
    drakon
    Poland. I think that $14.95 USD is far too much.
    Experience the future!
  • »02.12.16 - 09:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    Are there similar offers in Europe, too?
  • »02.12.16 - 09:48
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Shipping costs seem to be $18 from StyleFlip to Finland (probably elsewhere in Europe too)... total price would be something the whole Mac mini costs nowadays :P And if you want more than just one of them... like I do...

drakon's offer would sound interesting if we'd get proper graphics... ASiegel?
  • »02.12.16 - 10:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    drakon
    Well, tracked shipping around the world it's cost about 6-7 EUR total.
    Experience the future!
  • »07.12.16 - 05:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    If several members here are going to order one of these skins, I will probably join in as well, to make it more worthwhile for the person making them. I imagine that it will be more cost effective to make a dozen or two dozen of them, than just one or two.

I would be interested in buying a half dozen myself, then I could sell or give them away at the annual AmiWest Show each October. I did a paper version of a picture of the Morpho butterfly, and painted the remainder of the MacMini top, but don't like the way it turned out (I'm no artist, by a long way), so I would like to remove it, sand down the existing paint job to make it smooth again, and then cover the entire top with one of these proposed vinyl skins, to make my Mini look good again, and show off that it is a MorphOS computer, not a MacOSX system any more.

Let me know if anyone here decides to produce these skins, so I can order several of them.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »07.12.16 - 07:35
    Kronos
    Back in the day I removed the white (or yellow...) part of the topcase and replaced it with a a piece of plexiglass and a printed out grey butterfly underneath looked quite o.k. for a 30min job.

Later on I bought a few of those stickers and there should still be 1 or 2 of the grey/white ones lying around here somewhere.
  • »07.12.16 - 14:49
  • Just looking around
    relyt
    I wonder if a guy can create a design in a format that will work with any vinyl plotter/printer. I'm sure it's possible in something like Adobe Illustrator. Does anyone have access to the simple MorphOS butterfly image and would it be alright with the Dev. Team or whoever owns the rights to use said image to create the skin? Since we're all spread out, I think it would be of great benefit to design the skin, save it in a universal format, host it online, then let others download it so they can choose the service that is most affordable to create the skin.
  • »07.12.16 - 17:40
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

relyt wrote:
    I wonder if a guy can create a design in a format that will work with any vinyl plotter/printer. I'm sure it's possible in something like Adobe Illustrator. Does anyone have access to the simple MorphOS butterfly image and would it be alright with the Dev. Team or whoever owns the rights to use said image to create the skin? Since we're all spread out, I think it would be of great benefit to design the skin, save it in a universal format, host it online, then let others download it so they can choose the service that is most affordable to create the skin.

I will look into it.
  • »09.12.16 - 14:46
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

drakon wrote:
    Poland. I think that $14.95 USD is far too much.

You have to remember that this is the cost for a single unit production run that allows everyone to have their own completely personalized skin.
  • »09.12.16 - 14:51