MorphOS pricing drop announced? Official?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I think everyone expects to pay a new license fee, for the X64 port of MorphOS,
    > due to the massive amount of work needed to complete it, and the fact
    > that it will essentially be a different OS, with modern features

There's even a more technical reason as to why this will likely be the case:

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=14&topic_id=5875&start=831

Isn't it quite obvious even with the current licensing scheme without thinking it too difficult? New machine, new license :) I think only question would be that if "4.0" will also be available for PPC and not only for X64, what would happen then.

I think a certain degree of confusion would happen then; same HW, same processor, but suddenly a MorphOS version (and programs made for it as well) that is incompatible with all previous versions. But if they really differentiate the name, like using a "4.0" branch version for example (or some suffix like "Nova", "Neo" or whatever), they could make it more clear. Perhaps they could then even continue with the old PPC branch in parallel, like 3.11, 3.12 etc? If someone has energy and time to do that...

In a way I think it would be interesting if the OS and SDK could be enough abstracted to become HW independent from a user/developer POV (compile your application for any and all platforms by setting a flag or something). When Amiga backwards compatibility requirement is dropped, this will of course much more realistic. Maybe the PPC could be supported then as well? And at least some ARM platform, like Raspberry Pi's. :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »28.10.16 - 10:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    someone should post a news item on AO about the new price........................

Maybe a moderator from Texas could do it? ;)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »28.10.16 - 12:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    someone should post a news item on AO about the new price........................

Maybe a moderator from Texas could do it? ;)

done deal. Hopefully it looks acceptable.
  • »28.10.16 - 23:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    At 79 Euro I may register my 2nd powerbook now. Its a shame I just paid 111.11 for my G5 a month ago, lol!

Over the time I had about 10 keys and the highest price paid was 150€

For the Efika........

OK, in light of what that has cost recently, that IS painful.

Oh, and worrying about the naming and numbering scheme for MorphOS NG seems way premature.
    But 4.0 seems wrong somehow. And new name (or at least a distinct variation) and a 1.0 designation would make more sense.

[ Edited by Jim 28.10.2016 - 20:20 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »29.10.16 - 01:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Oh, and worrying about the naming and numbering scheme for MorphOS NG seems way premature.
    But 4.0 seems wrong somehow. And new name (or at least a distinct variation) and a 1.0 designation would make more sense.

Naah, I'd be cool with it called 4.0. When Mac OSX switched to X86 the numbering scheme continued. It is a natural evolution. JMO
  • »29.10.16 - 17:03
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dirkzwager
    I am lucky.
    i am new ( here ) and i buy 2 weeks ago a powerbook g4 with a 17" screen at 1.67 Mhz.
    Becaus a lack of time i dint buy the key not 2 weeks ago. Now with the new price ... i buy it;
    I think it is a better price for a OS.
    111 eur is not cheap but i understand that it is somthing exclusief ...
    Powerbook G4 1.67 and 17", Morphos 3.13
    Power Mac G5 2.3 DP
    Sam 460 and AmigaOS 4.1 FE
    Amiga 4000/040 and The Picasso 4 ( yes the 4 )
    Amiga 500 plus
  • »31.10.16 - 16:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

dirkzwager wrote:
    I am lucky.
    i am new ( here ) and i buy 2 weeks ago a powerbook g4 with a 17" screen at 1.67 Mhz.
    Becaus a lack of time i dint buy the key not 2 weeks ago. Now with the new price ... i buy it;
    I think it is a better price for a OS.
    111 eur is not cheap but i understand that it is somthing exclusief ...

Welcome to MorphOS and Morphzone!
  • »31.10.16 - 16:12
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Quote:

redrumloa escribió:
    Someone posted to Facebook that MorphOS had announced a pricing drop for registration. I don't find that news here, on the official website nor Wikipedia. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If confirmed, news link?

Speaking of Wikipedia and pricing, the info on Wikipedia is grossly out of date. Also on the official website I don't find pricing info at all.

The low price is to conquest the Amiga, and the Bong Boll drop the Amiga scene.
  • »31.10.16 - 17:38
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    The pricing info now also has been updated in the FAQ:

MorphOS Team FAQ
  • »02.11.16 - 20:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    @cyfm : many users don't have paypal accompt. is it possible to add possibility to pay with a bank card or bank transfert ?

There is a paypal button on www.warmup-asso.org for donation with paypal and bank card option :-D

[ Edité par Papiosaur 03.11.2016 - 17:48 ]
  • »03.11.16 - 17:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    59EUR or at least 69EUR for Mac models that sport processors lesser than 1GHz frequency will be greatly appreciated and a sure bonus for those who want buying licence and install full version of MorphOS.
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »09.11.16 - 07:57