Crowdfunding for TALOS Workstation
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > 'Cheap'? I was always taught to say 'inexpensive' (when selling a cheap item). ;-)

You probably just unlearned your manners when writing comment #21 :-)
  • »20.07.17 - 19:39
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Nope, I was just resistant to some parts of the training.

For instance, even though I used to make a straight commission, I had a hard time selling something if it wasn't something I'd be willing to spend my own money on.

So 'inexpensive' cheap junk didn't go to far in my sales (because, hey, do YOU want to be blamed by your customers for it after the sale?).

Anyway, you've had a few years to get to know me.
    Do you really think I ever don't speak my mind? ;-)
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »20.07.17 - 21:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Well, here we are! $ 2300 for mainboard + POWER9 CPU + cooler certainly is not bad! :-)

https://raptorcs.com/TALOSII/

[ Editiert durch ernsteiswuerfel 08.08.2017 - 12:39 ]
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »08.08.17 - 11:39
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Update:

> Details: [...]

Pre-order has started and prices are public:

https://www.raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html

Edit: ernsteiswuerfel beat me to it

Prices seem more realistic this time around.
  • »08.08.17 - 12:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Prices seem more realistic this time around.

I find 2300 USD for the mainboard plus CPU (and heatsink and I/O plate) quite a bargain. After adding off-the-shelf RAM, graphics card, sound card, storage controller card, storage drive and case with PSU it should still be possible to arrive at below 3000 USD for a complete POWER9 system.
  • »08.08.17 - 22:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I find 2300 USD for the mainboard plus CPU (and heatsink and I/O plate) quite a bargain. After adding off-the-shelf RAM, graphics card, sound card, storage controller card, storage drive and case with PSU it should still be possible to arrive at below 3000 USD for a complete POWER9 system.

much more "Bang for the Buck", than the X1000, or X5000 systems. Now that work has begun on the MorphOS porting to x64, I wonder if any of the MorphOS Dev. Team members would even consider supporting the TALOS Workstation, if they were given one of them for free by community members?

I have not paid any attention to just how powerful the Power9 PPC CPU used in this workstation really is, when compared to the low cost x64 alternatives, but I can imagine that if it is even close to being comparable, then Jim must be salivating something terrible, wanting to have some great OS to run on it. Even if it wasn't MorphOS, I suppose he would be happy to run Linux instead, now that he has been using it more often.

I'm also guessing that running MorphOS that can only utilize one CPU core, on such a powerful system, would be a terrible waste, and we all know that we will most likely never see any form of SMP, or even ASMP for the PPC version of MorphOS.

Still, very interesting to see anyone outside the Amiga and MorphOS community still show an interest in a desktop PPC system. Edit: If this workstation can be considered a "desktop" computer?

[ Edited by amigadave 08.08.2017 - 20:26 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »09.08.17 - 04:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

much more "Bang for the Buck", than the X1000, or X5000 systems.

Yes, unlike overpriced Aeonkit HW, this is aftually kind of interesting and worth its price. But for MorphOS...?

Quote:

Now that work has begun on the MorphOS porting to x64, I wonder if any of the MorphOS Dev. Team members would even consider supporting the TALOS Workstation, if they were given one of them for free by community members?

Why should paying customers provide them with free hardware? The team have money. They can buy any HW they are interested in. And they do, they bought the X5000's, the Sam, and all other machines they have supported.

Quote:

I have not paid any attention to just how powerful the Power9 PPC CPU used in this workstation really is, when compared to the low cost x64 alternatives, but I can imagine that if it is even close to being comparable, then Jim must be salivating something terrible, wanting to have some great OS to run on it.

It's very powerful, but mostly in ways that aren't really relevant in a traditional Amigoid context I think. Considerable focus is put on massive bandwidth and parallellism. I can't really see where this makes sense or is harvestable for MorphOS.

I don't know. They have said that the Sam port meant nothing for platform growth of MorphOS, but meant a lot for cleaning and evolving the MorphOS source code. They have also said similar things about the X5000, i.e. not really about market/platform growth, they don't expect that to happen, that's not why they did it. Maybe a port to this system would mean possible cleanup and evolution of the general source code in some ways, that would be generally beneficial for MorphOS? Or just a cool journey of exploration for the developers?

But for users, a tight, highly integrated ARM CPU in a more traditional (low cost, cool and silent) computer context would be much more interesting IMHO.

Quote:

I'm also guessing that running MorphOS that can only utilize one CPU core, on such a powerful system, would be a terrible waste, and we all know that we will most likely never see any form of SMP, or even ASMP for the PPC version of MorphOS.

Theoretically, if "MorphOS NG" is made hardware agnostic, including the SDK with a build system similar to Linux distributions, then there is no reason to why not more than one platform/architecture could be supported, including PPC and POWER.

Quote:

Still, very interesting to see anyone outside the Amiga and MorphOS community still show an interest in a desktop PPC system. Edit: If this workstation can be considered a "desktop" computer?

IMHO it's something else. Even if it could be used as one, its features and design clearly has other areas of use in mind.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »09.08.17 - 08:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'm also guessing that running MorphOS that can only utilize one
    > CPU core, on such a powerful system, would be a terrible waste

...no more than running it on the X5000/40 would be :-)
  • »09.08.17 - 13:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The team [...] can buy any HW they are interested in. And they do, they bought
    > the X5000's, the Sam, and all other machines they have supported.

Did they?

http://morph.zone/modules/news/article_storyid_1978.html
    http://morph.zone/modules/news/article_storyid_2047.html

And Jim makes no secret of his numerous graphics card donations to Bigfoot.

> It's very powerful, but mostly in ways that aren't really relevant in a traditional
    > Amigoid context I think. Considerable focus is put on massive bandwidth and
    > parallellism. I can't really see where this makes sense or is harvestable for MorphOS.

POWER9 has also great single-thread performance, compared to high-end x86-64 CPUs. See these single-thread benchmark results for (the slower) POWER8:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9193/the-xeon-e78800-v3-review/11
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10435/assessing-ibms-power8-part-1/9

> They have said that the Sam port [...] meant a lot for cleaning and evolving the MorphOS
    > source code. They have also said similar things about the X5000, i.e. not really about
    > market/platform growth, they don't expect that to happen, that's not why they did it.

Actually, what was said is this (emphasis mine):

"it had some sideeffects everyone using MorphOS right now benefits from. Huge parts of the boot process and the kernel needed to be rewritten/cleaned. Tons of bugs sitting there were found and fixed. Stuff optimised. Less memory used. So the other systems are now even more stable, have a little more free memory for applications and boot faster. [...] It also (main reason for supporting the 460) allowed to support X5000 boards (getting it to boot) in hours instead weeks."

According to this, "cleaning and evolving the MorphOS source code" allegedly was just a welcome side effect. The "main reason for supporting the 460" allegedly was faster support of the X5000, a platform they now say there is no real market for (which is the same thing they said about the Sam460 before). Supporting a platform with no market to faster support another platform with no market? Weird, huh?

> PPC and POWER.

..."PPC (including POWER)" (or better: "Power Architecture (including POWER)") :-)

>> If this workstation can be considered a "desktop" computer?

> IMHO it's something else. Even if it could be used as one, its
    > features and design clearly has other areas of use in mind.

https://static.rptorcs.com/images/talos-page/banner-2-large.png ;-)
  • »09.08.17 - 14:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > is the processor quoted really a four core?

Yes, it is a four-core with SMT4 (= 16 threads) on a Sforza module:

"Currently on its way to my doorstep is a two-CPU, octocore (each core is SMT-4, so that's 32 threads) Sforza POWER9 Talos II "
    http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2017/08/and-now-for-several-things-that-are.html

Another interesting comment from the same source:

"if you were actually in the market for an AmigaOne X5000, this blows it out of the water. You could just run UAE on this and have cycles to spare!"

I guess this means that OS4 runs allegedly faster in (FS-)UAE on Talos II (is there even PPC emulation in UAE for anything other than x86(-64)?) than natively on the X5000.

Edit: Now also on the Raptor website:
    https://www.raptorcs.com/content/CP9M01/intro.html

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 10.08.2017 - 07:05 ]
  • »09.08.17 - 15:02
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Well, Mark might accept one, but that wouldn't guarantee a port.

Frankly, it would make more sense to buy him a Ryzen 1800X cpu, an AM4 motherboard and some DDR4.
    That way his compile times on the software he is working on would be faster.

And what I'm sending is rather modest, as my expenses paying for classes out of pocket rather taxes my income.

Anytime any of you feels like chipping in...(David has offered, but David's finances are probably tighter than mine). ;-)

BTW - I'd rather buy one of these than an X5000 myself.
    It's only a few hundred more, and so much more capable.

[ Edited by Jim 09.08.2017 - 10:28 ]
  • »09.08.17 - 15:27
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:
    Frankly, it would make more sense to buy him a Ryzen 1800X cpu, an AM4 motherboard and some DDR4.

I got a FX-8370 + MoBo + 16 GiB DDR3 to offer when I switch to a Ryzen-based gaming PC the next two weeks. Not quite the same league as a Ryzen, but for building jobs on Linux more than adequate. If some Dev is in need.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »09.08.17 - 18:48
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:

I got a FX-8370 + MoBo + 16 GiB DDR3 to offer when I switch to a Ryzen-based gaming PC the next two weeks. Not quite the same league as a Ryzen, but for building jobs on Linux more than adequate. If some Dev is in need.

Mark's current system is FM2 based. Not quite as powerful as the AM3+ based system you have, but I think he wants to move straight to an 1800x.
    He wants a significant reduction in compile times.

But thanks for offering.

[ Edited by Jim 10.08.2017 - 02:43 ]
  • »09.08.17 - 19:59
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:
    Mark's current system is FM2 based. Not quite as powerful as the AM3+ based system you have, but I think he wants to move straight to an 1800x.

No problem. I would only charge the postage if some other Dev has use for it.
  • »10.08.17 - 12:56
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:

No problem. I would only charge the postage if some other Dev has use for it.

If any of the developers want to take advantage of this offer, I'll pay the postage.
    I can highly recommend the FX8370, as I've used the very similar FX8350.
  • »10.08.17 - 15:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'd rather buy one of these than an X5000 myself.
    > It's only a few hundred more, and so much more capable.

Some more details:

"- E-ATX (12“ x 13“) mainboard
    - With the 3U HSF assemblies, noise is very low.
    - Power consumption of the POWER9 is far less than POWER8
    - If you buy the Dual CPU bundle, the PSU needs a dual EPS 12V connector
    - no mini PCIe slot
    - No M2 slot
    - 1x OCuLink port (what is this?)
    - 6x 4-pin fan connectors on the mainboard
    - To provide maximal PCIe bandwidth for all peripherals, each slot is serviced by a dedicated CPU. As such, two CPUs are required to activate all PCIe slots
    "
    https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/08/msg00005.html

The OCuLink sounds interesting. But the last point is not quite clear to me. The Talos II board has 3 PCIe x16 and 2 PCIe x8 slots. Which of these slots can be used with the single-CPU configuration?
  • »11.08.17 - 23:09
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I'd rather buy one of these than an X5000 myself.
    > It's only a few hundred more, and so much more capable.

Some more details:

"- E-ATX (12“ x 13“) mainboard
    - With the 3U HSF assemblies, noise is very low.
    - Power consumption of the POWER9 is far less than POWER8
    - If you buy the Dual CPU bundle, the PSU needs a dual EPS 12V connector
    - no mini PCIe slot
    - No M2 slot
    - 1x OCuLink port (what is this?)
    - 6x 4-pin fan connectors on the mainboard
    - To provide maximal PCIe bandwidth for all peripherals, each slot is serviced by a dedicated CPU. As such, two CPUs are required to activate all PCIe slots
    "
    https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/08/msg00005.html

The OCuLink sounds interesting. But the last point is not quite clear to me. The Talos II board has 3 PCIe x16 and 2 PCIe x8 slots. Which of these slots can be used with the single-CPU configuration?

Good question. Why not relay it to Raptor?
    Btw - The issue of EPS power connection is not such a big deal.
    I ran a dual Xeon system with a similar power connector using a standard 650 watt Thermaltake psu with an adapter for the second 12v connection.
    That type of thing does NOT require a specialized psu.
    The board form factor is more of a PITA, but I still have the case I bought for the Xeon system.
  • »11.08.17 - 23:35
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> The Talos II board has 3 PCIe x16 and 2 PCIe x8 slots. Which of these slots
    >> can be used with the single-CPU configuration?

> Good question. Why not relay it to Raptor?

Someone else did:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/08/msg00015.html

Odd, only one PCI-E X16 and X8 slot?
    If it has three, and they are split between the processors, which one controls the third X16 slot?
  • »15.08.17 - 15:17
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Totally confusing CrowdSupply post by Raptor Engineering.

Price now $3700 with cpu and some accessories?
    Talos or TalosII? Power8? Power9?
    Now available? Shipping in November if ordered now?

I can't decipher this crap, and it does nothing for my confidence.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/raptor-computing-systems/talos-secure-workstation/updates/talos-tm-is-back-talos-tm-ii-now-available
  • »01.09.17 - 20:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Totally confusing CrowdSupply post by Raptor Engineering.

I found nothing confusing about the post.

> Price now $3700 with cpu and some accessories? Talos or TalosII? Power8? Power9?

The right column isn't part of the post. Everything in that column is a remnant of the Talos I and to be ignored for Talos II.

> Now available? Shipping in November if ordered now?

Now available for pre-order ;-) "Pre-orders placed by the middle of September will ship this year."
  • »01.09.17 - 23:24
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Thanks for the clarification.
    While the reminants of the old listings may have made sense to you, their presence there just confused me.
  • »02.09.17 - 03:37