Seven Day MorphOS Challenge!
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Elric wrote:
    About ripping CD's, I'm impressed when you told about 30mn to rip a CD!!! Maybe you may try Ripper

Don't try to compare the time between the two. Flacapella uses cdparanoia, which will generally deliver on quality, where Ripper will just fail to read some CD sectors and return garbage.
  • »22.08.16 - 20:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Day 5

Day 5 gave me an excuse for unfeterred retro indulgence. Back when I was an a1200 owner, one of my favourite past times was perusing diskmags. One I enjoyed in particular was The Word by NFA. When I saw the 'Mags' directory in morphosfiles, I was intetested to see if there are still diskmags being produced. I downloaded the The Verge, from 2009, and was impressed by the quality of the production on the whole. I thought it might be fun to have a look at The Word too. This required loading up euae as it was created in Amos I believe. Very enjoyable going through these old vaguely remembered articles...and enlightening how long us Amigans have been holding out hope for a better future. Even in 1995 we felt like a highly endangered and misunderstood species.

The highlight of Day 5 was investigating whether there are any remaining Amiga BBSs. Probably the best telnet client for BBSing on the Amiga is DC Telnet, and this seems to work pretty perfectly on MOS. After a few false starts, I tried Genetic Point bbs in Finland. I was nice to have that mini surge of excitment, as you see 'Connecting' flick to 'Connected' and you know from that point you're in the carefully laid out world of a kindred spirit somewhere. Genetic Poinr is a Max's Pro BBS, which provided additional interest as I briefly ran a Max's BBS many years ago. After a brief explore, sysop chat popped up. This is where the sysop of the BBS can chat directly with you, and I enjoyed a good long chat about Amigas and BBSing with the sysop there. I heartily recommend installing DC Telnet (or SyncTerm on a pc) and giving Genetic Point a visit.

Telnet address to follow :)
  • »23.08.16 - 08:20
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Genetic Point BBS: g-point.tunk.org, port 500. Enjoy!
  • »23.08.16 - 19:48
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Elric wrote:
    Hello!

Good trip!

I personnaly use MorphOS mainly on a MorphBook 1,67 hight resolution 17', Pegasos (not anough) an Efika (quite only for gaming... ...but I play rarely)...
    Beside, I use a Linux laptop...

About ripping CD's, I'm impressed when you told about 30mn to rip a CD!!! Maybe you may try Ripper: already when I was using it on my A4060/604, it spends a somewhat 6 minutes to rip a CD in 192 mp3 quality, and eventualy editing meanwhile the IDTag over Internet...
    And as on the '4000 I had two cd readers, I was using two Ripper sessions so when no web, I edited the IDTags on one when ripping on the second... So I ripped my CD collection (around 200) in a quite short time..!

MorphOSian salutations.

Thanks Elric. Will take a look. Just about able to cope at the moment but good to know the options.
  • »23.08.16 - 19:50
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Elric
    Hi!

@jacadcaps: Ok for the reading wise differance! I wasn't know it and besides I can't remember a problem when ripping my collection with Ripper... Perhaps I was lucky this time..? ;-)

@Ginger1: pleasure! Just so with jacadcaps's good info... But again, I had no fail with it on memory (more than ten years)...

Good MorphOSian contiuation!
  • »23.08.16 - 20:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    How about giving the official MorphOS SDK a go, if you haven't already?

Could try compiling some example programs, if nothing else (many compile just fine, if you just cd to directory & run make)
  • »23.08.16 - 23:58
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:
    How about giving the official MorphOS SDK a go, if you haven't already?

Could try compiling some example programs, if nothing else (many compile just fine, if you just cd to directory & run make)

Good idea. Will take a look. Was planning on giving Hollywood a spin, but probably not time now to do it justice (within the Seven Day Challenge).
  • »24.08.16 - 07:21
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Day 6

There wasn't much time for computing on Day 6, with work and other commitments. In the half an hour I did have, I had another go and accessing gmail via OWB. Gmail for me and I dare say many other users is our main means of email, so not having convenient access has been one of the biggest negatives in my experiment to date. I do have gmail accessible through SimpleMail, but being able to drop into web access is useful for when I want to access my contacts and mailing lists, for example. A quick google suggested that Opera users have faced the same cookie conflict errror, and their solution was to delete the cookies. This had an affect. The error I then got was the google broken robot. Trying to spoof a variety of browsers resulted in the same problem. Hmm.

On a positive note, I installed Voxel Bird Saga and I thought it was a sensationall game. Excellent graphics and game play. The gf enjoyed it too!

[ Edited by Ginger1 24.08.2016 - 19:44 ]
  • »24.08.16 - 17:41
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Day 7

My seventh day if the MorphOS challenge saw two more serious and productive uses of MorphOS. Firstly, I needed to go through a set of a few hundred photos, and identify a subset for printing. I loaded up ShowGirls and pointed it at the photoset. This was able to churn through the large collection quickly, giving me a convenient set of thumbnails on the screen to work with. My task was fairly simple, and it's clear ShowGirls is a feature rich photo tool. I will definitely use it again when I need to, and take time to learn it properly. One small criticism is the name/default icon. It's humorous but perhaps doesn't add to MorphOS's identity as a serious future OS. Perhaps I'm being too harsh.

I also installed the 3.10 SDK which was a very simple process. I was able to compile one of the example programs as suggested, and am looking forward to exploring it more fully. I've done a bit of recent C programming, so keen to practice a bit more MorphOS.

My final conclusions to follow!
  • »27.08.16 - 10:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    Quote:

Gmail for me and I dare say many other users is our main means of email, so not having convenient access has been one of the biggest negatives in my experiment to date. I do have gmail accessible through SimpleMail, but being able to drop into web access is useful for when I want to access my contacts and mailing lists, for example.

I have access to gmail via links-2.13

Aminet

MorphOS Storage

It takes some time to get used to it and maybe we could use links to understand our problem with OWB.
    PowerMac 3.6 - Radeon 9000_64Mb - 1,5Gb Ram - SB Live - MorphOS 3.9
    CD32 TF330 SILP Wifi- PowerBook 1,67GHz 1GB/100GB - MorphOS 3 reg. 1455 IMac Isight
  • »28.08.16 - 19:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

defender schrieb:

This was my intention ;-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »29.08.16 - 18:31
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

defender wrote:
    Quote:

Gmail for me and I dare say many other users is our main means of email, so not having convenient access has been one of the biggest negatives in my experiment to date. I do have gmail accessible through SimpleMail, but being able to drop into web access is useful for when I want to access my contacts and mailing lists, for example.

Thank you for the tip. Now able to check webmail on MorphOS :)
  • »29.08.16 - 20:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    Quote:

This was my intention ;-)

Well done man :-)

"Links runs in graphics mode (mouse required) on X Window System (UN*X, Cygwin), SVGAlib, Linux Framebuffer, OS/2 PMShell, AtheOS GUI"

Is that possible MorphOS too ?
    CD32 TF330 SILP Wifi- PowerBook 1,67GHz 1GB/100GB - MorphOS 3 reg. 1455 IMac Isight
  • »29.08.16 - 20:50
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    Quote:

defender schrieb:
    Is that possible MorphOS too ?

Yep, there's already some SDL support but it's wrapped.

[ Editiert durch polluks 31.08.2016 - 00:27 ]
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »30.08.16 - 18:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    It's strange. I can log in into Gmail just fine without spoofing.

[EDIT] Did some testing and posted it here

[ Edited by Yasu 31.08.2016 - 14:24 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »31.08.16 - 10:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    Quote:

Yep, there's already some SDL support but it's wrapped.

übersetz mir dat ma ins niederrheinische - geht oder geht nicht ?
  • »02.09.16 - 21:10
    Profile Visit Website
    connor
    Geht. So wie GTK ;-)

( http://www.pegasosforum.de/viewtopic.php?p=39808#39808 )
  • »03.09.16 - 12:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Ginger1 wrote:
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:

I for sure had big problems to let my pen&touch wacom tablet being recognized and I failed. Yomgui who was the developer who made Wacomfix.elf moved to Canada and he is almost not developing anymore for MorphOS.

I looked through Yomgui's posts and there were some tantalising links to pics with the settings he used. Unfortuntately, the website where the screenshots were hosted is now defunt. Shame if his efforts and successes end up being lost. Or then again, perhaps those settings wouldn't have worked either :)

There is mirror site he created where you can find (almost) everything if you are capable to dig in it.

Repository:

https://bitbucket.org/yomgui/

Dead site:

http://www.yomgui.fr/

Active (?) site:

http://yellowblue.free.fr/yiki/doku.php

For example I want to install Griboullis paint program but I found program only and no dipendencies on Yomgui site!
    So to avoid any problems I used Grunch to install it, even if I hate Grunch as I want to control myself where to put any program, libraries and assigns I need to do.

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 03.09.2016 - 21:25 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »03.09.16 - 18:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > There is mirror site he created where you can find (almost) everything
    > if you are capable to dig in it. [...] Dead site: http://www.yomgui.fr/

It's no mirror site as yomgui.fr never had any webspace but was just a redirection domain (see 2nd link in comment #27).
  • »03.09.16 - 19:52