Morphos 3.9 does not remember windows and pictograms
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    hello,

I got a problem with MorphOS 3.9
    I want to have "show all files" as standard setting just for some windows. Amiga-like, I went to "fix all" in contextmenu (fix means freeze) but after reboot, only folders/drawers are shown again...

Is this normal or what am I doing wrong?

cheers
    12" ibook G4 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, ATI 9550 32MB, 16GB SSD, WiFi, BT, ComboDrive
  • »15.08.16 - 10:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I want to have "show all files" as standard setting just for some windows.
    > Amiga-like, I went to "fix all" in contextmenu (fix means freeze) but after
    > reboot, only folders/drawers are shown again... Is this normal or what
    > am I doing wrong?

Amiga-like, folders/drawers to be fixed need an icon. That's where the setting is stored.
  • »15.08.16 - 11:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    You can use settings to decide what the default should be like, and then like Andreas_Wolf said you need a folder icon in order to save individual settings.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.08.16 - 11:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    A folder-icon? hmmmm, all my folders have icons (mostly the standard ones)... ?!
  • »15.08.16 - 12:39
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Elowan wrote:
    hello,

I got a problem with MorphOS 3.9
    I want to have "show all files" as standard setting just for some windows. Amiga-like, I went to "fix all" in contextmenu (fix means freeze) but after reboot, only folders/drawers are shown again...

Is this normal or what am I doing wrong?

cheers

If this setting is needed for the top level of a volume (eg the system: or work: volumes) then you need a "disk.info" icon file in the root of the volume (system:disk.info or work:disk.info). This allows the snapshot information for the top level of a volume to be saved, analogous to a folder's icon.

This disk.info file won't show up using Ambient's "icon" view, but will show up using "list" view or using the CLI. You can safely use drag/drop these to copy this file between drives if needed, or use the CLI if you prefer. If you don't have a suitable icon handy, there are some in system:prefs/presets/deficons that should suit your need.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »15.08.16 - 18:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    hmmm, maybe I am just too stupid or do not really understand:

I got a drive icon (disk.info) and also got a folder icon, but it´s not working.
    Maybe my install is corrupt or something. Was not 100% from the beginning

I´ve found another way, in Ambient, I just set something like "remember Window position/size" and now at least position and size get´s saved. Now I only have to set "view all Files" sometimes, to see everything inside a folder...
  • »16.08.16 - 07:57
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Elowan wrote:
    hmmm, maybe I am just too stupid or do not really understand:

I got a drive icon (disk.info) and also got a folder icon, but it´s not working.
    Maybe my install is corrupt or something. Was not 100% from the beginning

I´ve found another way, in Ambient, I just set something like "remember Window position/size" and now at least position and size get´s saved. Now I only have to set "view all Files" sometimes, to see everything inside a folder...

A couple of things to note:

1) there are two views (list, and icon) as well as the three view modes (icon, thumbnail, all files). The defaults for these can be set in Settings>Ambient>Window>View behaviour. This will affect all folders (with and without icons)
    The 'view mode' setting will be overridden for folders with icons which have saved snapshot information.

2) There is a setting to 'inherit view mode' (also in Settings>Ambient>Window) which keeps the current view mode when navigating between folders.
    This is also overridden where folders have saved 'snapshot' information.

3) List/Icon view behvaiour is not snapshotted, however 'List' and 'Icon' views each have their own 'snapshot' - snapshotting 'all files' in 'icon' view will have no effect on the 'list' view (and vice versa). These can be set seperately (eg 'show all' in list view and 'thumbnails' in icon view) for the same folder/volume.

4) Snapshotting does not influence the 'view' - ie if you are in lister mode, the window will not automatically switch to 'icon' mode as a result of previous snapshotting - point 3 gives the reason why.

I'd recommend setting the default view you want (in my case 'icon', 'view all', and DO inherit view mode), and then over-riding this with snapshot information on a per-folder (or per-volume) basis.

It should work, so if you continue having trouble, do carry on asking questions!
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »16.08.16 - 09:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    It will be easier putting in Preferences a standard system tool to keep selected/unselected "view all files" as default for all devices and directories
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »16.08.16 - 11:44