Radeon 1950 for the Sam460
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    bennymee
    As my Sapphire X1950GT Ati pci-express halts at the boot.img in my Sam460, is there a recommended (single slot) 1950 card which will work in the Sam ?

[ Edited by bennymee 13.07.2016 - 16:23 ]
  • »13.07.16 - 12:22
  • rob
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    What version of Uboot are you using? Apparently newer version are recommended.

ATI Radeon X1950 pro 256 MB RV570 0.17 Working Sam460ex users are recommended to
    use U-Boot 2010.06.04 or better

If that's not the problem I know Pampers had a Sam460 with X1950 so he should be able to advise on which card to use.
  • »13.07.16 - 20:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    I had (and still have) Sapphire X1950PRO and there was no problem with that. Do you have serial cable to see the debug output?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »14.07.16 - 05:26
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    bennymee
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    I had (and still have) Sapphire X1950PRO and there was no problem with that. Do you have serial cable to see the debug output?

@Rob
    I have the newest: 2015a
    The system is booting fine from another OS with the 1950 card.

Update 15-7: the X1950PRO also does NOT boot in a Sam460ex with uBoot 2010.06.05a from jan. 30 2012.

@Pampers
    Yes, I have a cable, but need to setup the machine it goes to.

[ Edited by bennymee 15.07.2016 - 14:09 ]
  • »14.07.16 - 09:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Bennymee, if it's windows machine I can recommend RealTerm, worked for me like a charm. Easy to setup.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »14.07.16 - 11:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    It's likely that the driver simply doesn't recognise your particular variant of this chip/card. If you can get me the PCI device ID of the card, then I can probably send you a Radeon update that will work with the card.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »14.07.16 - 15:19
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    bennymee
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    It's likely that the driver simply doesn't recognise your particular variant of this chip/card. If you can get me the PCI device ID of the card, then I can probably send you a Radeon update that will work with the card.

Thank you, I read from my Windows machine, the Hardware id's:

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_72A8&SUBSYS_E191174B&REV_9A
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_72A8&SUBSYS_E191174B
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_72A8&CC_038000
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_72A8&CC_0380
  • »19.07.16 - 12:01
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Unfortunately you got the device ID from the Radeon's secondary function. But based on that, I'm guessing the device ID of the primary function is 0x7288, and if so, I've sent you a link to a new Radeon file and instructions on how to use it in a private message.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »19.07.16 - 12:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    @ bennymee

Hey, let us know how Mark's driver works on a PCIe machine.
    I'd like to hear how an X1950 compares to whatever you were using before.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »19.07.16 - 18:53
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    bennymee
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Unfortunately you got the device ID from the Radeon's secondary function. But based on that, I'm guessing the device ID of the primary function is 0x7288, and if so, I've sent you a link to a new Radeon file and instructions on how to use it in a private message.

I did the instructions and the card is booting normally, thank you!
  • »19.07.16 - 21:24
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    bennymee
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    @ bennymee

Hey, let us know how Mark's driver works on a PCIe machine.
    I'd like to hear how an X1950 compares to whatever you were using before.

Well I had a Radeon 5450 PCIe in the machine, but slow due, no [accelerated] 2D support I think. And the buildin gfx chip of the Sam460ex, which is not fast either.

So it is a lot faster and compatible with 4.1 en MOS.

With Gfxspeed from the Benchmark folder, there is a score of 7298.

[ Edited by bennymee 20.07.2016 - 16:07 ]
  • »19.07.16 - 21:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

bennymee wrote:

Well, there's still much room for optimization I guess. The Radeon 9800 Pro scores 12485.
  • »20.07.16 - 08:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > slow due, no 2D support I think

2D is supported, obviously, but not accelerated.
  • »20.07.16 - 08:57
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    bennymee
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > slow due, no 2D support I think

2D is supported, obviously, but not accelerated.

Thank you, corrected.
  • »20.07.16 - 12:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

bennymee wrote:

Well, there's still much room for optimization I guess. The Radeon 9800 Pro scores 12485.

That is a big difference, but what system was the 9800 test on?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »20.07.16 - 13:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

bennymee wrote:
    Well I had a Radeon 5450 PCIe in the machine, but slow due, no [accelerated] 2D support I think.

You can make it a bit more usable by disabling enhanced display.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »20.07.16 - 13:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    I have the same problem with my sam460 and a sapphire X1550 PCI-E.

Can you PLEASE help me out too Bigfoot ?
    I've sent you a PM.

Thank you.
  • »05.10.16 - 18:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Mozzerfan wrote:

I've sent you a PM.

Thank you.

And I've replied to your PM ;)
  • »06.10.16 - 19:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Quote:

Mozzerfan wrote:

I've sent you a PM.

Thank you.

And I've replied to your PM ;)

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! It works now.

Many thanks Bigfoot ! I've got a couple of problems, but I'll patiently wait for Morphos 3.10.
  • »07.10.16 - 05:08
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    If you mention those problems now, there's a bigger chance you won't have them with 3.10 ;)
  • »07.10.16 - 08:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    If you mention those problems now, there's a bigger chance you won't have them with 3.10 ;)

Ok, I use a 1920x1080 monitor (it only has HDMI and VGA input), and I'm using a HDMI-DVI adapter with the X1550. But the screen is too wide and too large when using DVI output. I have the date/time screenbar module activated, but the screen only shows the date. I can't see the time or the screen gadget.
    Also the morphos boot screen doesn't show the system info under the morphos logo.
    When I use the VGA connector it's slightly better, but again the screen is slightly too wide. I can only see part of the screen gadget. But the morphos boot screen shows the system info.
    I also have a HD6570 with DVI and I don't have these problems with this card.

My second problem is with Mplayer. I don't know if it's possible to use overlay with the X1550, but when I use overlay, Mplayer plays the video, but the screen goes crazy. When I use cgx-wpa everything is ok.
    I don't even know if I can use overlay with the X1550, but I can see mplayer plays the video, it's just that the screen goes crazy. I read an article on Obligement that says it's possible to use overlay with the X1550, but I can't use it. That's why I wanted to try it.
    Again the HD6570 doesn't have this problem.

My third problem is that I can't use enhanced display with the X1550. If i use it in combination with double and triple buffering it hangs at startup. When I disable double/triple buffering in display engine prefs it works, but eventually I get lockups.

EDIT: BTW my gfxbench score is 9232.

That's about it. I hope you can fix these problems.
    Anyway, many thanks Bigfoot. You've done a great job !!!

[ Edited by Mozzerfan 08.10.2016 - 02:41 ]
  • »07.10.16 - 13:33
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    FYI Bigfoot, I just checked the information my monitor gives me.

The optimal setting for a 24-bit 1920x1080 mode for my monitor is:

Horizontal frequency: 67.500 kHz
    Vertical frequency : 60 Hz
    Pixelclock: 148500
    Polarity: +/+

But my monitor says the vertical frequency is 59 Hz. And the polarity is -/-

I checked monitor prefs, and the correct values are in there.
    But it seems other values are used.

I hate to say this, but everything is ok with OS4.

Anyway, I just thought it was important to mention.
  • »08.10.16 - 11:49
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Mozzerfan wrote:
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:

Ok, I use a 1920x1080 monitor (it only has HDMI and VGA input), and I'm using a HDMI-DVI adapter with the X1550. But the screen is too wide and too large when using DVI output. I have the date/time screenbar module activated, but the screen only shows the date. I can't see the time or the screen gadget.
    Also the morphos boot screen doesn't show the system info under the morphos logo.
    When I use the VGA connector it's slightly better, but again the screen is slightly too wide. I can only see part of the screen gadget. But the morphos boot screen shows the system info.
    I also have a HD6570 with DVI and I don't have these problems with this card.

The HD6570 and X1550 use completely different code for setting up the screen mode. Since I don't have any issues in that regard myself, to get this fixed you'd need to be willing to do quite a bit of testing. If you're interested, we could probably look at that in the near future.

Quote:

My second problem is with Mplayer. I don't know if it's possible to use overlay with the X1550, but when I use overlay, Mplayer plays the video, but the screen goes crazy. When I use cgx-wpa everything is ok.

I don't even know if I can use overlay with the X1550, but I can see mplayer plays the video, it's just that the screen goes crazy. I read an article on Obligement that says it's possible to use overlay with the X1550, but I can't use it. That's why I wanted to try it.
    Again the HD6570 doesn't have this problem.

Yeah, MorphOS has no overlay support on the HD6570, so when you play videos on that, it won't be using overlay. For the X1550 issue, is there a chance I can get you to grab a video of it with some sort of camera? A phone camera is fine. It could be a few different problems, but they're easy to identify if you know what to look for, so a video would help here.

A lot of work has been done on overlay support on the R500 series of cards for MorphOS 3.10, so it could be that whatever issue you're having is gone now, but to be safe let's just double check.

Quote:

My third problem is that I can't use enhanced display with the X1550. If i use it in combination with double and triple buffering it hangs at startup. When I disable double/triple buffering in display engine prefs it works, but eventually I get lockups.

Hmm, yeah, I do have an idea what's going on there, but again we'd need to do more testing to be sure.
  • »08.10.16 - 13:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:

The HD6570 and X1550 use completely different code for setting up the screen mode. Since I don't have any issues in that regard myself, to get this fixed you'd need to be willing to do quite a bit of testing. If you're interested, we could probably look at that in the near future.

Yeah sure, I'm willing to do some testing.

Quote:

bigfoot wrote:

Yeah, MorphOS has no overlay support on the HD6570, so when you play videos on that, it won't be using overlay. For the X1550 issue, is there a chance I can get you to grab a video of it with some sort of camera? A phone camera is fine. It could be a few different problems, but they're easy to identify if you know what to look for, so a video would help here.

Of course,I can make a video. But the screen is so messed up, maybe a picture would be sufficient.

EDIT: I just made a video. It's not the best quality (it's an old digicam), but I think it's good enough. Just tell me where to send it.

Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Hmm, yeah, I do have an idea what's going on there, but again we'd need to do more testing to be sure.

Ok, if you want me to do some test, please tell me.

Thanks again Bigfoot !

[ Edited by Mozzerfan 08.10.2016 - 18:03 ]
  • »08.10.16 - 13:31
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    Hi Bigfoot,

I've sent you a PM.
  • »09.10.16 - 05:01