2.5 GHz Quad Core PowerMac G5
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I took a chance on a quad core PCIe G5 that was listed on eBay (with no hard drive) for $110 shipped.
    It just arrived from New Jersey today and works perfectly.
    I'm going to swap in my Radeon X1900GT, add a hard drive, and install Ubuntu tomorrow.

BTW - It came with a full 16GB of memory.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »15.06.16 - 00:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    I took a chance on a quad core PCIe G5 that was listed on eBay (with no hard drive) for $110 shipped.
    It just arrived from New Jersey today and works perfectly.
    I'm going to swap in my Radeon X1900GT, add a hard drive, and install Ubuntu tomorrow.

BTW - It came with a full 16GB of memory.

Nice!

But may not be something I would want, if it never gets supported by the MorphOS Dev. Team. Has anyone seen a demonstration from any of the Dev. Team members, showing a partially working port of MorphOS running on that model of G5? I know there was a partially working, non-released, version of MorphOS, which was shown running on a G5 iMac, but don't know if any similar beta version has been made by any of the team members, who own a Quad G5 PowerMac.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »15.06.16 - 01:02
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    It may never happen.
    I would not encourage others to buy hardware in anticipation of a port of MorphOS that has not been announced.

I just had a chance to buy the best G5 Apple produced and the price was good so I went for it.
    And I already had an Apple Radeon X1900GT video card on hand, so now I can make use of it.

Also I just plain like PPC based systems.
    I intend to buy a P5040 X5000 when it is introduced.
    So if I cannot compare MorphOS benchmarks, I will be able to compare the systems running Linux.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »15.06.16 - 12:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Didn't mean to discourage you regarding your purchase, not that I think I did. I was just saying I wouldn't buy one with hopes that MorphOS is going to be ported to it, but I wouldn't mind having that model to speed up my PPC version of Final Cut Pro, video editing software (not sure if the version I have is also x32, or x64 capable as well as ppc). I also think it is important that we stress to others that the chances of MorphOS being ported to the Quad G5 model is probably only slightly better than my chances of getting a port of MorphOS for my X1000, which is slim to none. You and I have made that pretty clear, so if anyone buys a Quad G5 thinking that they will be able to run a future version of MorphOS on it, they do so informed and at their own risk.

The price you paid was a great deal, but prices for G5 hardware will continue to go down, probably rapidly, in the near future.

[ Edited by amigadave 16.06.2016 - 21:18 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »17.06.16 - 03:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > not sure if the version I have is also x32, or x64 capable

You probably mean IA-32, as x32 is something else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IA-32
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI
  • »17.06.16 - 08:26