FolderSync2 finally released
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChrisH
    This is a small notice that I've finally released "v1.0" (actually r1) of FolderSync2. I didn't feel that a news item was justified, because it's 'just' a Shell utility (plus some clickable scripts to make it's use a bit simpler). Anyway, you can get it from here:
    http://aminet.net/package/util/cli/FolderSync2

If you don't know what FolderSync2 is, then read the start of the manual here:
    http://cshandley.co.uk/foldersync2

According to my notes, I've made beta versions of FolderSync2 available since around 2009, with the last beta release in 2011. With various improvements I've made to FolderSync2, I felt it was about time I polish it & make a proper release.

The biggest improvements since the last beta release are:

* The MorphOS version was not usable, because it would seem to freeze if it asked the user about a list of planned changes. Now fixed. (Oddly enough the 68k version was fine on MorphOS, I assume due to slightly better OS3 compatibility for 68k stuff.)

* The scripts with icons (EasyBackup2, EasyFolderSync2 & ProfileWizard) have now been fixed to work on MorphOS & AmigaOS3.

* It now ignores soft/hard links. I found this essential, as otherwise links could be accidentally replaced by real files. If you want to backup/copy links as well, then I recommend using my AmigaAttributes program.

* It now works with SMBFS (at least for OS4 - not tested on MorphOS but I assume it is similar). This is NOT heavily tested, but it has been reported to work. I'm waiting for some SMBFS issues to be fixed, before I use it with SMBFS heavily myself, but for less demanding use it should be OK right now...

* I've added UTF-8 support, which works great with FTP Mount. So finally files/folders with 'foreign' characters in their names work, which can be handy (for example) when backing-up Amiga program folders that contain Catalogs.

* The Windows version had a nasty habit of crashing after it had finished, but before it had fully written the log file, which was rather annoying (but not usually a serious problem). Now fixed.

And some smaller changes that some people may still find very helpful:

* It no-longer fails to update files that have been write/delete protected.

* Files to the TrashDir folder now get a file comment indicating their original path (just like FolderSync1 did), which means undeleting files is now much easier.

* The TrashDir folder is no-longer disabled for FTP Mount paths. Very handy, since you can now undelete stuff on Windows!
    Author of the PortablE programming language.
    It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue...
  • »01.06.16 - 10:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Thanx a lot ! I use FolderSync(1) for nearly 10 years know regularly to make my backups ! It's a great tool !
  • »06.06.16 - 22:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChrisH
    Quote:

pOS wrote:
    Thanx a lot ! I use FolderSync(1) for nearly 10 years know regularly to make my backups ! It's a great tool !

Nice to hear :) .

Beware that FolderSync2 works a bit differently to FolderSync(1), so be sure to read the manual properly!
    Author of the PortablE programming language.
    It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue...
  • »07.06.16 - 13:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
    Quote:

pOS wrote:

Nice to hear :) .

Beware that FolderSync2 works a bit differently to FolderSync(1), so be sure to read the manual properly!

Very useful program for several different situations. Thanks Chris, I'll check this out and plan to begin using it to sync data files across Amiga, MorphOS, AmigaOne, and Windows computers.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »09.06.16 - 21:07