1/3 ram gets eaten up straight after boot
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Here's a trouble I am facing: boot, opened owb, updated yWeather, launched vnc server via crabum (for the first time), left the default settings, connected successfully through real vnc viewer for Android, messed around for 10 mins (cool experience btw). Halfway through I am getting the "system is low on memory" warning (I 've set it a <250MB/1.5GB though I was only messing with a single tab OWB window and anr). Didn't pay any further attention. Shutdown the system. Boot the next day and I thought I was getting stuck at the splash screen. I didn't. I 've left it unattended and seems that boot from 5 secs is now around 40. Checked the hd with sfsdoctor and it's ok. user-startup hasn't been modifed for approx. 6 months, network-user-startup is completely empty. startup on mos:s hasn't been modified for 6 months as well.

Reboot a couple more times and I noticed that straight afterwards around 500MB are vanishing. System recognizes all 3x512mb dimms but ram gets fragmented in a straight line (no empty blocks) for about 1/3. Checked envarch: and all look good (biggest file is about 43kb). But I did the procedure manually. How can I print out the contents and size of a drawer? What could be wrong? And generally speaking, how I can check how much ram is allocated per program in MorphOS?

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 15.04.2016 - 00:03 ]
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »14.04.16 - 19:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    How about some memtest extensive?
  • »14.04.16 - 19:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    @Cool_AmigaN,

You use anr I see. Check first in envarc:/mui for the size of anr.cfg. After a certain amount of time listening streaming music with anr it can become big. Once it was 40 mb on my pegasos 2. So I deleted it. After this verification use dirsize, http://morphos-files.net/download/DirSize, from itix to see the size of the directories of your choice. Dirsize will reveal to you their size and you will find which of them are big.

I do not see other clues to help you more.

Brumiga
  • »14.04.16 - 20:05
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    @Brumiga

You were right! anr.cfg was 560MB at env/mui! Wtf, is this a bug? Could invoking anr from vnc have caused it?

However, even if I delete the .cfg it keeps returing after each boot. Should I mess up with anr's options directly instead?

edit: jPV to the rescue :) Have to delete the fucker from envarc as well :P Ram size back on track along with boot speed :)

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 21.04.2016 - 22:30 ]
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »21.04.16 - 17:21
    Profile Visit Website