Setting up dual boot on G5, do you recommend Linux or OSX?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Since my G5 is getting rebuilt from top to bottom, I might as well go whole hog and make the system dual boot at this time. Do you recommend a Linux distro or OSX? I'll be using a Radeon X850 which I assume should be good for either. Is there a big difference between Firefox or other browsers on the 2?

I know this question might be subjective, but I am curious on the responses.

BTW correct me if I'm wrong but triple boot is out of the question since each OS needs it's own HD?
  • »04.04.16 - 17:30
    Kronos
    Why would every OS need it's own HD ???

You can put them all on 1 HD with a Mac partition scheme.

You can even go as far as only placing the boot files for MorphOS and Linux on that one and have the main installtion of both on an HD with RDB.

Or even put that on an extra SATA card without PPC-BIOS (assuming PCI on the G5 supports that by now).
  • »04.04.16 - 17:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Why would every OS need it's own HD ???

You can put them all on 1 HD with a Mac partition scheme.

You can even go as far as only placing the boot files for MorphOS and Linux on that one and have the main installtion of both on an HD with RDB.

Or even put that on an extra SATA card without PPC-BIOS (assuming PCI on the G5 supports that by now).

Hmm, it seems I was confusing things and remembering wrong.

Doing a forum search it seems it is possible with a little effort. I'll do some more reading and take a stab at it. I'll also try to determine the best file system to set up a partition for data. I'm guessing that may be NTFS but we'll see.

Thanks.
  • »04.04.16 - 20:20
    Kronos
    If you skip OSX you might also use SFS, Linux can do that....
  • »04.04.16 - 20:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I would recommend dual booting MorphOS and MacOSX 10.5.8, unless you have no other x86 computers to run Linux on. I used MacOSX 10.5.8 as my main computer on a G4 PowerBook for a long time, and liked the experience. I gave away my 15" PowerBook that was my most used computer at the time, and saved a backup of the hdd on that computer, which I plan to try to re-setup on either my Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac, or on my 17" high definition G4 PowerBook (or both), with both systems dual booting MorphOS and MacOSX 10.5.8.

I still have not found a Linux dristro that I think I would like to use as my main system, but I haven't really tried looking lately, so there probably is one or more Linux distro now that could satisfy my needs and satisfaction with the UI. I might install one or two Linux distro's on my A-Eon X1000, if I get bored with AmigaOS4.x. I am already disgusted with the incredibly slow pace of development of AmigaOS4.x, and I am seriously doubting Hyperion will ever deliver version 4.2, with all the features they announced would be included in it. If they do manage to release a version called 4.2, I will be greatly surprised if it is complete, and mostly bug free.

Good luck with your work to setup your rebuilt G5, and if you decide to use MorphOS & MacOSX, take notes on how you do the installation (just in case you get yours set up before I reset mine).

I'm really too busy right now to even look at any of my Amiga, MorphOS, or AmigaOne, systems.

Edit: Sent from the lounge car on a train in California. 1st time I have ridden a long distance train in the USA since I was 8 years old. This is the best way to travel by far, even if it is terribly slow by European & Japanese standards of rail travel. When will Americans demand better mass transit options in this country?

[ Edited by amigadave 04.04.2016 - 11:58 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »04.04.16 - 20:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is there a big difference between Firefox [...] on the 2?

Firefox on OSX/PPC (TenFourFox) has JavaScript JIT while on Linux/PPC it has not.
  • »04.04.16 - 22:58
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 PPC runs fine on my PowerMac7,3 and PowerBook5,6, both in a dual-boot setup with MorphOS. The only downside is that Linux does not like my Radeon X800, so I have to use a Radeon 9600 on the PM. Hope I manage to get the X800 working somehow in the next weeks...

The good thing is that Ubuntu Mate and LUbuntu start the system in a Live CD mode. You can check if anything works without installing it.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »04.04.16 - 22:59