Powerbook G4 video card compatible?
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Hi all,

I'm looking at a Powerbook but I'm not sure if the video card is fully supported as in 3D support. The card it has is the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (4X AGP) graphics with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM.

According to the hardware compatibility list at http://www.morphos.de/hardware it is supported but no W3D. Does that mean no Warp 3D or something else? Going by that list, none of the video cards in Powerbooks has W3D support.

Am I reading the list correctly? Are there any Powerbooks that DO support W3D?

Thanks for your help. This is my first foray into MorphOS and I don't want to mess up before I begin :)
  • »12.03.16 - 20:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > [...] no W3D. Does that mean no Warp 3D or something else?

Yes, "W3D" means Warp3D.

> Are there any Powerbooks that DO support W3D?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=8874&start=27
  • »12.03.16 - 21:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Pgovotsos wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm looking at a Powerbook but I'm not sure if the video card is fully supported as in 3D support. The card it has is the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (4X AGP) graphics with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM.

According to the hardware compatibility list at http://www.morphos.de/hardware it is supported but no W3D. Does that mean no Warp 3D or something else? Going by that list, none of the video cards in Powerbooks has W3D support.

Am I reading the list correctly? Are there any Powerbooks that DO support W3D?

Thanks for your help. This is my first foray into MorphOS and I don't want to mess up before I begin :)

Wazp3D from aminet sorts that problem out mostly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vBZMyNrAnKA
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »12.03.16 - 22:33
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Thanks for the answers. What impact does not having Warp 3D have? I know games are much slower but games aren't an issue for me. Does Warp 3D improve OS or productivity application performance? Does it help multimedia programs?

OS4 makes a big deal about how it helps with things like MPlayer or maybe it's the compositing with the Radeon driver and MorphOS is probably completely a different matter. Honestly I have trouble figuring out what does what on OS4 with all the "marketing speak". That's why I'm looking at MorphOS - it seems to be more user oriented.
  • »13.03.16 - 00:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Does Warp 3D improve OS or productivity application performance?
    > Does it help multimedia programs?

No, at least not on MorphOS.

> OS4 makes a big deal about how it helps with things like MPlayer

MPlayer doesn't benefit from Warp3D.

> or maybe it's the compositing with the Radeon driver

Yes, it is.
  • »13.03.16 - 00:20
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

So Warp 3D is only of any use when you're running games?
  • »13.03.16 - 00:28
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    Quote:

Pgovotsos wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

So Warp 3D is only of any use when you're running games?

only old Warp3D games. There are only a handful of games for W3D. All newer MorphOS Games dont need Warp3D anymore. They're based on TinyGL.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »13.03.16 - 09:47