OWB
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ok, guys, I hate to beat on it. But, OWB is causing me no end of problems. Lets not talk about youtube, let just talk about normal web surfing. I can't use OWB more then 10 consecutive mins without it locking the entire computer. I mean frozen, non responsive, the works. I have to hold and press the power button to reboot. I could take this if it wasn't so much. I'm not kidding, not joking. After having spent a few days getting things all worked out. I finally sat down and started doing some actual web surfing. Nothing too crazy, no youtube at all. Just Yahoo, Facebook and google/news. In the last 45min I have had OWB lock up this laptop 7 times. Each requiring a hard reset to bring back. This just can't be right. I can understand it not working with youtube and some other things. I can understand it not being the fastest. But, it literally is killing the entire OS..constantly. OWB is the only program to do this to me. Everything else I have tried has worked wonderfully.
  • »21.02.16 - 04:03
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Certainly doesn't sound right... OWB is pretty stable afterall on all my setups. How much do you have memory? Do you run out of RAM? Getting OWB crashed requesters? Which version of OWB (1.23 or 1.24)? Getting "hits" (hundreds of lines) to the debug log during the use, or even before starting OWB (enable debug sbar)? Is your RAM OK (check it with "memtest extensive" from the shell)?

Anyway, I can't remember when OWB would have crashed here so that it'd took whole system with it, and I use it in daily use. It hits occasionally, and I'll reboot just in case then, but definitely doesn't do that every day.
  • »21.02.16 - 06:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    I have a 2gig laptop. I have them memory monitor going and I can see the memory creep up and up. It doesn't seem to go down after I close tabs, or leave a site, it only seem to go up and up and up. After doing some googling. I found somewhere where a higher stack size was recomened. So, I changed mine and it seems to be better, as far a not crashing. Memory useage does continue to creep upa and up and up.
  • »21.02.16 - 06:31
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Adding stack shouldn't be needed on MorphOS (maybe the tip was for AmigaOS). But yes, 2GB should be fine for pretty long sessions. OWB (as well as every WebKit based browser) leak memory like hell (mainstream coders are so sloppy nowadays), so it's normal that it goes and goes, but you should check that it doesn't run totally out. When it's getting too low, restart the browser. OWB tracks down the leaks and releases them when quitted (which is quite nice compared to the original Webkit behaviour). Other (mainstream) systems mainly add more physical/virtual memory to solve that :P

You can also press F12 key to release some memory during the use, but the best thing is to quit and restart the browser when needed. But as said 2GB is quite fine and you probably won't need to do that often if not even daily.

[ Edited by jPV 21.02.2016 - 08:44 ]
  • »21.02.16 - 06:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Nothing too crazy, no youtube at all. Just Yahoo, Facebook and google/news.

Facebook will chew your memory in no time. If the Odyssey crashes even with still 100-200 MB or more free RAM to go then maybe your RAM is faulty? Perform memtest extensive from shell.
  • »21.02.16 - 08:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    That does sound strange. On my Mac Mini I can surf for a long time without crashes or running out of memory. The same with my iBook and PowerBook. MorphOS should not behave like this.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »21.02.16 - 11:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    do you run any 3rd party software simultanously? i had some strange OWB crashes when i had Scube (or weather programm, dont remember) running in the background.

Mostly 3rd party tools hit the system resulting in an overall unstable system.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »21.02.16 - 11:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    If you can go to the Modules (top right corner, the little box on the bar), right click, menu pops up (modules) and enable debug. A little bug pops up on your bar across the top. Reboot. When your system comes up, run OWB and do what you were doing and when it acts weird, open the debug log, copy, paste to this thread so the devs can see.
  • »21.02.16 - 13:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

DFergFLA schrieb:
    Ok, guys, I hate to beat on it. But, OWB is causing me no end of problems. Lets not talk about youtube, let just talk about normal web surfing. I can't use OWB more then 10 consecutive mins without it locking the entire computer. I mean frozen, non responsive, the works. I have to hold and press the power button to reboot. I could take this if it wasn't so much. I'm not kidding, not joking. After having spent a few days getting things all worked out. I finally sat down and started doing some actual web surfing. Nothing too crazy, no youtube at all. Just Yahoo, Facebook and google/news. In the last 45min I have had OWB lock up this laptop 7 times. Each requiring a hard reset to bring back. This just can't be right. I can understand it not working with youtube and some other things. I can understand it not being the fastest. But, it literally is killing the entire OS..constantly. OWB is the only program to do this to me. Everything else I have tried has worked wonderfully.

Is it really freezing the machine or just stalling with cpu load at 100% Quite some sites have scripts that eat up all cpu time for a while. In worse cases this can take quite some time which can make you think the machine has gone tits up. But once calculations are done it comes back.
    I use Oddyssey for very intensively (albeit no F*book, I am not (and will not become) a member there) and get real freezes very, very, very rarely - maybe once in two months or so. Hence I'd say stability of Oddyssey is good. What is more annoying indeed is that some sites don't worlk as expected...

__

Other thing could be the memory.: As you have 2GB instlled you have two memory modules. Are the two modules of the same brand and model? If not that can cause trouble. For testing purpose you may remove one module and check whether stability increases.

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 21.02.2016 - 14:58 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »21.02.16 - 13:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @Zylesea

When I say Frozen, I mean that, the mouse won't move, esc will not work, In order to get out of it I have press, and hold, the power button in order to the it to shut off.

It may be the memory. It seems to freeze at around 30% each time. I will have to test and verify.

P.S. I suspect memory. If I run "memtest extenive" the laptop locks up.

[ Edited by DFergFLA 21.02.2016 - 11:16 ]
  • »21.02.16 - 15:06
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Yep! Bad stick of RAM. When I opened up this thing I found two sticks of ram from two different manufactures. I tested both, one at a time, and sure enough. There is one that is bad. Now I have to order two new sticks. I would rather but two and have a "matched" set then two slightly different ram modules.. But with one stick out, OWB is much better.
  • »21.02.16 - 20:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Good that you found the cause. Bad RAM really makes a computer experience crappy. Hopefully you will have a better MorphOS experience now :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »21.02.16 - 21:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Yes, much better. It hasn't locked up on me in a while. I have actually been able to use it long enough to get to the 30 mn message,

Whoever told me that webkit has a memory leak wasn't kidding. This thing eats ram like M&M's. But, it doesn't crash my system anymore. :)
  • »21.02.16 - 22:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    PowerBook G4's are notorious for having a faulty by design second RAM slot. Mine is one of those with the dodgy slot so I can only run with one stick of RAM.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »22.02.16 - 00:50
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    Yes, much better. It hasn't locked up on me in a while. I have actually been able to use it long enough to get to the 30 mn message,

Whoever told me that webkit has a memory leak wasn't kidding. This thing eats ram like M&M's. But, it doesn't crash my system anymore. :)

And more precisely it's WebKit's Javascript engine which leaks the most. If you have to run OWB with a low memory machine (512MB or less), you could try to disable the javascript support by default, and only enable it on the pages it really is needed.

It will also speed up the browsing greatly, because there are so heavy javascripts running on pages nowadays.

[ Edited by jPV 22.02.2016 - 08:33 ]
  • »22.02.16 - 06:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    There should be a quick button for turning JS on and off :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »22.02.16 - 08:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    There should be a quick button for turning JS on and off :-)

It's quite easy still. There's a quick menu to turn it on, off, or to the default setting. You can use it to enable JS on the fly even if you have disabled it from the main settings.

And of course there are URL settings too, to enable/disable it permanently for certain sites.
  • »22.02.16 - 15:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

DFergFLA schrieb:

I had similar issues with OWB (and sometimes other software) and it turned out that I had a faulty RAM-slot in my PowerBook5,4. Unfortunately problems were a bit worse and it still freezed from time to time, MorphOS and Linux:
    http://www.cnet.com/news/powerbookibook-lower-ram-slot-failure-revisited/

Cleaning the RAM-slots was one solution I found in the forums apart from re-soldering the slots. But that didn'T work either. So I bought a replacement logic obard (about 30 $ on ebay) for this PB model. The RAM-slots on new board worked so my freezing problem was 'cured' instantly.

[ Editiert durch ernsteiswuerfel 23.02.2016 - 00:01 ]
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »22.02.16 - 22:53