Can't boot from usb in Open Firmware to install Morphos
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    tl;dr Sorry, but I'm busy... As long as you've got a working OS X, put the MorphOS iso somewhere (not buried too far down in a nest of directories) on that partitiion and extract the boot.img file and put it there too. Then, instead of battling with usb in OpenFirmware, try the same boot process with the Mac partition as the source device.

btw The command I enter to start MorphOS (because alt-booting is too time consuming for me):

> boot hd:3,\boot.img

Bear in mind you'll still need to direct boot.img to the iso you want it to boot from...
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »13.02.16 - 22:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Quote:

jPV schrieb:

Those steps are if you want to boot an installed system from USB, which isn't your case now. Nothing to do when you just want to boot an ISO image from USB.

If I understood that right: He want's to boot from a ISO-image copied on a Stick? ...AFAIK OF doesn't know anything about ISO-structure......So boot.img must be copied outside the image to make it visible for OF - am I right? After booting MOS-Kernel the iso will be known.
    [edit: this step is also discribed in the intallation guide..]

But:
    From my point of view it makes no sense to copy a ISO-image on rewritable medium! In any case he had to copy the content of the ISO-image on the stick - you may call that a installed MOS, but ist only a 1:1 copy of the ISO content. The small HFS-Partion is usefull to copy the propper boot.img there (in his case the full content of dir "mac-ppc32" on the iso).

You don't have to have the contents of the ISO image on the stick. Usually, unless there's now an exception with certain Mac models.

It should be enough just to have two files on a FAT (or maybe HFS) formatted stick: boot.img and morphos.iso. OF is commanded to boot from the boot.img file and the bi (bootimage) option defines the ISO file which boot.img uses to boot the actual MorphOS system from. The boot.img file (MorphOS kernel) is able to boot the system from unextracted ISO files. I find this much more simple solution than to create an installed system on the stick.

But as there clearly are difficulties with that generally working method, the question is if the stick is somehow incompatible or if the whole machine is incapable to do boot from any usb device with this way for some reason.

Now when I try to remember harder, I think I had similar difficulties with a PowerMacG4 (3,5) machine which I had loaned for some time. I couldn't get it to boot from the same USB stick I did use successfully with other machines (like two minis, two IBooks, one Powerbook). And I ended up to boot from a CD to install the system.

BUT then I also played around with a stick which had an INSTALLED system on it, just like you said, a small HFS partition for the boot files (the bootinfo.txt file probably needs "blessing" after copying) and a SFS partition for the installed MorphOS system files. And I not only succeeded to boot from it on that PowerMac, but that PowerMac was the only machine which actually did show the stick on the alt-key bootmenu! So, your method could actually work, but it's quite hard to create the SFS partition with the installed system, if you don't have any other MorphOS machine.

So, there might be some differences between Macs or their firmware versions, and the usually working USB guide might not work on all models afterall.

But it also could be just because of the stick or its format. I also had some very old 256MB stick, which probably had some older FAT version, and that stick didn't work until I reformatted it.

Quote:

ud: interessting - did'nt found any Mac without this alias til yet.....

I've had two out of six machines where it hasn't worked.

ud available on these here:
    Mac mini 1.5GHz, PowerBook5,9, IBook 1.33GHz/12", and IBook 1.42GHz/14".

ud not available on these:
    Mac mini 1.42GHz and PowerMac G4/800MHz

Maybe it's about OF version?

For example...
    Mac mini 1.42GHz model 10,1 (not working): 4.8.9f1 12/10/04
    Mac mini 1.5GHz model 10,2 (working): 4.9.4f1 07/12/05
    IBook 1.42GHz model 6,7 (working): 4.9.3f0 07/05/05

Maybe ud appears from bootrom version 4.9.x onwards for example? Unless there's some setting that you could create it yourself? That would be nice to know if there'd be such :)
  • »14.02.16 - 10:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    ud can't be created manualy, because ist done during run-time by OF. OF has to look on what USB-port the stick is located.
    You may create a dev-alias to a hardware-address specified port (type dev-alias in OF an you will see all specified devices with their hardware address). If you do so, your stick can only used with this specified port......
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »14.02.16 - 12:51
  • Just looking around
    pm1zrnsuj

As you said that maybe it's the openfirmware version, here is a photo took from it.

I tried with another stick, verbatim 8gb Fat32 formatted and nothing...
  • »14.02.16 - 14:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    You may try following:
    In your pic dev usb0 gave /disk@1 That means that OF found there something.
    Now type dev disk@1 and hit return. This should give something like this: /pci@f2000000/usb......./disk@1.
    This is now your path to the Stick to boot:
    boot /pci@f2000000/usb......./disk@1:,\boot.img bi..........

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 14.02.2016 - 17:43 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »14.02.16 - 15:41
  • Just looking around
    pnKCPoEQj

Tried... Nothing.
  • »14.02.16 - 16:49
  • Just looking around
    I am writing right now from Mac Os X Leopard
  • »14.02.16 - 17:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Thats a bit strange.......
    Please type devalias and show us the output (with pluged in Stick)

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 15.02.2016 - 11:08 ]
  • »15.02.16 - 08:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    XzIt
    have you tried other usb devices?
    are you sure usb0 is the one you connected to ?

try "dev /aliases .properties" or "devaliases", to list your devices.

the boot should look something like this, "boot usb0/disk@1:,\boot.img bi umsd0:morphos.iso"

atleat thats what i think, maybe worth a try ;P

X
  • »16.02.16 - 00:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I'checked your last pic again: I think there is missunderstanding in the way OF displays disc-contents!
    With ls disk@1 or disk@1 ls you won't get a dir of a stick or hd. You have to specify the partition too!
    In your case it may be ls usb0:0 or ls disk@1:0
    You can check that with ls hd:0 (hd should be defined as your first built-in harddrive)
    btw: ls is a command and has to be in command-line in front of a path....not behind (then it shows only the content of the active node - which may nothing if no node is specified....)

btw2: why creates the term disk@1:0 a bold output on this website?
  • »16.02.16 - 08:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > why creates the term disk@1:0 a bold output on this website?

The forum software thinks a string containing an "@" with one or more characters prefixed and two or more characters suffixed must be an email address, thus embedding it in an anchor with href attribute and prefixed "mailto:".
  • »16.02.16 - 09:18
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

pochopsp wrote:
    I am writing right now from Mac Os X Leopard

Try this then: copy the boot.img file to the root of the OS X partition, and have the morphos.iso file on the USB stick connected to the machine.

Then find the OS X partition from the OF prompt by typing "dir hd:0,\", "dir hd:1,\", etc (unless you know the correct partition number yourself).

When you find the partition containing OS X files and the boot.img file, try to boot with this line:
    boot hd:x,\boot.img bi umsd0:morphos.iso
    (where x is the partition number you found)

For example, I have the OS X partition as hd:8 on one machine.

dir hd:8,\
    results this macofboot1.jpg

And then I can boot with this:
    boot hd:8,\boot.img bi umsd0:morphos.iso
    macofboot2.jpg
  • »16.02.16 - 13:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Guys here they are the photos from openfirmware

pn9T8AHvj

pmohH5Xxj

@amigaharry I tried, the results are in the photo

@jPv i'll try, thanks for the suggestion
  • »16.02.16 - 19:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    On 2nd pic I can see 2 ports at /pci@f2000000/usb@18 and 19. (Do you have only 2 ports?).
    Now do following: Take a HFS-formated stick (or first partition), and copy only the boot.img for 32-Bit-MACs on it. Insert that stick to your port and reboot.
    Back in OF type following:

>dev usb0 [Return]
    >ls [Return]

Now the output should be /disk@1
    (If nothing happens, reboot and try the same with usb1 - and if then also nothing happens - read last sentence below)

Now type:

> dev disk@1 [Return]
    > pwd [Return]

Now the output should be something like this /pci@f2000000/usb@18/disk@1 .
    This is the path to your stick.

To boot Kernel use this path and add ":,\boot.img BM"

>boot /pci@f2000000/usb@18/disk@1:,\boot.img BM

This will bring you into early-startup-menue of MOS. If that works, we can look further to boot the rest from the stick. If that doesn't work, then your OF does not recognizes masstore-devices on USB-ports (same problem as on Pegasos-computers).

------------------------------
    Addendum: I've also seen that your MAC defines both ports as usb0 and usb1. You may also try the short form:
    >boot usb0/disk@1:,\boot.img BM
    ------------------------------
    Addendum2: You may also look here: https://sites.google.com/site/shawnhcorey/howto-boot-apple-powerpcs-from-a-usb-drive-in-open-firmware
    This seems t be the same hardware as yours (refering to the usb-hardware-address).
  • »17.02.16 - 08:44
  • Just looking around
    Hi guys! I'm sorry for my absence, it is due to winter exams session in my university. I'll make some attemps and I'll let you know.
  • »29.02.16 - 14:10
  • MH2
  • Just looking around
    MH2
    The line boot usb0/disk@1:,\boot.img bi=umsd0:morphos.iso

should bee

boot usb0/disk@1:,\morphos.img bi umsd0:morphos-3.9.iso

That becuse the lates download MorphOS iso-file are named morphos-3.9.iso.

This are the best line from the guide :D

"To boot MorphOS, type boot usb1/disk@1:,\boot.img bi umsd0:morphos.iso and press enter.

Mind the spaces, slash, backslash, comma, dots and the colon!"
  • »12.03.16 - 19:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Update! As i did not have success with USB boot, i got work a CD reader and the first thing i did was try to install morphos. Still no success so i had fun with Linux... But now i want to try again. I made a video showing the CD that does not boot. I tried with 3.9 and 3.6 version.

https://youtu.be/jRvX-nN4NQQ
  • »18.03.16 - 18:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Seems that your burned CD ist not recognized! Normaly the MOS-CD appears in Mac-Boot-Menue as a CD-Icon with a small blue butterfly in right lower corner of the icon - I can't see that in your boot-menue......
    Maybe CD is burned incorrect....

http://img4web.com/view/S32XSU

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 19.03.2016 - 15:21 ]
  • »19.03.16 - 13:08
  • Just looking around
    you have to watch it again then... there is the butterfly icon... i burned the cd at 2x... but i would exclude that it is not burned well because i burned three versions of ubuntu at the same speed and i am writing right now from lubuntu 14...
  • »19.03.16 - 14:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Ok - not easy to recognize in the video..... then it's strange. I burned my CD with Jalapeno (MOS) and had never any problem.....
    I think it's better to ask a developer - maybe your Quicksilver itself is the reason.....
  • »20.03.16 - 08:43
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    what happens when you do start MorphOS from OpenFirmware.
    Code:

boot cd
  • »20.03.16 - 11:42
  • Just looking around
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GoO611ssXOeHdVcEhUZDhIZkk/view?usp=docslist_api

Here is what happens when trying to boot CD in open firmware
  • »01.04.16 - 19:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    This may happen if loading unknown or wrong bootfile. Burn a new CD, but with the propper bootfile in root-directory of CD. On original MOS-CD this file is located in directory mac_ppc32. It seems that your Quicksilver does'nt find it in that directory (which is a bit strange....).
    After that type boot cd again (presumeing that your boot-file-name is defined as boot.img in OF-env-variables).
    If not , type boot cd:,\boot.img

Will see what happens then.....
  • »02.04.16 - 09:18
  • Just looking around
    I did not burn a new cd, because i am sure it is burned well as this is the second one, burned at 2x, and all linux cds burned this way worked well. So I tried to open the propper boot img from the exact directory, and this is the result, just the same i had when trying to boot the cd by keeping pressed alt at boot time of my mac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJjuwkLbJ20
  • »03.04.16 - 14:28