Powerbook g4 not powering on
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Fresh install of 3.9, PB g4. Shut down the system and now it doesnt power on.

Edit: nevermind. yanked battery, held power button.. put battery back, plugged into outlet and now it works. I'll shut down again to make sure it all works.

[ Edited by TheMagicM 04.02.2016 - 21:59 ]
  • »05.02.16 - 01:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Ok. If I shut down, it doesn't power back up. I have to remove the battery, hold power, put battery back and then power back on with the psu. The battery is bad but shouldn't it boot on ac power anyway?
  • »05.02.16 - 04:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Yes, it should boot with AC power in any situation. I think I had similar issue while ago. My Powerbook suddenly stopped powering up and I thought it broke down. But then googled around and found a way to reset something which helped and it started to work just fine again. Too bad I didn't do any notes for the future references and seems I only have vague memories about it now :)

But my guess is that I did reset the PMU (Power Management Unit) like this:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1431

It was really easy for my PB5,9...

If that doesn't help, I guess reseting nvram/pram or something like that could help. In any case I'd bet that it isn't hardware failure even if I could look like that. Luckily we have these common machines and web is full of information about them :) Imagine these problems with custom boards which have sold few hundreds max ;)

With an old machine you probably should also do battery calibration at some point. I think it went like this: charge the battery full, unplug the PSU, use the machine until it shuts down, connect the PSU and let it charge the battery full while machine is turned off.
  • »05.02.16 - 07:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I'm guessing the previous owner knew about this issue and didnt tell me about it. I also just ordered another battery. Its pretty cool to have MorphOS running on a laptop! Its fast as hell! I'm going to install a SSD drive to make it even faster.
  • »05.02.16 - 11:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    new battery in, all is well.
  • »12.02.16 - 02:11
    Profile Visit Website