IOmega External HDD Model GDHDU 1 TB working fine in MOS 3.9
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WeiXing3D
    I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this before, but I just found out that the IOmega external HDD model GDHDU 1 TB works fine in a MacMini G$ 1.5GHz running MOS 3.9.

I was trying to recover the data from this old HDD using PC's with different versions of Windows, such as 7, 8 and 10, without success. None of the PC's or these OS versions was detecting the unit, so I decided to give it a try with MorphOS, and voila...it opens in a flash and I can access all my old files there.

I'm now transferring all my files from the IOmega to a more modern external HDD, just in case. But I will definitely keep using the unit for back ups and see how it continues behaving.

So if you have one of those old IOmega units, don't throw it in the trash just yet, give it a try in MOS. You may end up like me with huge extra storage space.
    MacMini G4 1.5GHz with MorphOS 3.9 FPGA MiST w/AmigaOS 3.9 (PFS3), FPGA Replay w/AmigaOS3.9, Amiga 1200 SCSI CD-RW, X-SURF 100 w/Rapidroad USB, External FDD with Chinon and Gotek units and Acer Aspire One ICAROS
  • »20.01.16 - 19:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I am unfamiliar with the IOmega external 1TB hdd, as I only own ZIP and JAZ drives from IOmega. If it is 1TB in size as you wrote, I would guess that it is not terribly old, like my ZIP and JAZ drives are.

Since you have it connected to your MacMini, I am guessing that it is either a USB or Firewire externally connected drive, and since you mentioned that you also tried to use it on your Windows7, 8, & 10 machines, I'll guess it is a USB drive, as most people don't have Firewire ports on their Windows PC's.

Glad it is working for you. The Poseidon USB stack included within MorphOS is very good at connecting to most USB storage devices, as well as some other types of USB devices as well. I hope that more work is progressing to update Poseidon (or another USB stack), to soon give us the capability to use USB sound devices, video capture devices, etc.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »20.01.16 - 21:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WeiXing3D
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I am unfamiliar with the IOmega external 1TB hdd, as I only own ZIP and JAZ drives from IOmega. If it is 1TB in size as you wrote, I would guess that it is not terribly old, like my ZIP and JAZ drives are.

Since you have it connected to your MacMini, I am guessing that it is either a USB or Firewire externally connected drive, and since you mentioned that you also tried to use it on your Windows7, 8, & 10 machines, I'll guess it is a USB drive, as most people don't have Firewire ports on their Windows PC's.

Glad it is working for you. The Poseidon USB stack included within MorphOS is very good at connecting to most USB storage devices, as well as some other types of USB devices as well. I hope that more work is progressing to update Poseidon (or another USB stack), to soon give us the capability to use USB sound devices, video capture devices, etc.

Yes, you are right. It's connected via USB port to the MacMini.
    MacMini G4 1.5GHz with MorphOS 3.9 FPGA MiST w/AmigaOS 3.9 (PFS3), FPGA Replay w/AmigaOS3.9, Amiga 1200 SCSI CD-RW, X-SURF 100 w/Rapidroad USB, External FDD with Chinon and Gotek units and Acer Aspire One ICAROS
  • »20.01.16 - 21:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I hope that more work is progressing to update Poseidon [...] to soon give us the
    > capability to use USB sound devices, video capture devices, etc.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10495&forum=9&start=8
  • »20.01.16 - 22:33