Dual boot with Debian 8 possible?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    hello,

I want to install morphos 3.9 next to an already existing Debian 8 linux installation.
    The harddrive is ext4 formatted and it got yaboot installed.

Is there a chance to do this, without breaking the linux install?
    I had to keep it, because of some personal server-software I am running on it. (at least keep it for a while)

Can someone guide me thru that process or can give good advice from own experiences?

And how big (small) must a MOrphos partition be (at least) - like 2GB or 4GB?

Cheers!
    12" ibook G4 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, ATI 9550 32MB, 16GB SSD, WiFi, BT, ComboDrive
  • »18.01.16 - 18:45
    Kronos
    IBook ?

Google for "MorphOS dualboot" , that PDF should get you started.

In basic you'll need 2 partitions 1 small HFS for the boot.img and an SFS for the system.
  • »18.01.16 - 20:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    hmm, I´ve found this one here but it refers to an existing OSX install -which I do not have! I got debian linux on ext4 formated 16GB SSD drive.. in an ibook, yes ;)

Cheers!
  • »18.01.16 - 21:39
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    Morphos can start with file systems that support the Open Firmware (hfs, hfs+, ISO and FAT)
  • »19.01.16 - 02:59
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    to delete
  • »19.01.16 - 03:19
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    to delete
  • »19.01.16 - 03:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Quote:

Norbi schrieb:
    Morphos can start with file systems that support the Open Firmware (hfs, hfs+, ISO and FAT)

Oh - so it is not possible, I guess. I got ext4 formatted... really a shame, would love to have morphos installed on harddisk and play around a bit more in depth.

[ Editiert durch Elowan 19.01.2016 - 07:31 ]
  • »19.01.16 - 07:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > file systems that support the Open Firmware

...or the other way round ;-)
  • »19.01.16 - 07:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    now I am confused Oo
  • »19.01.16 - 07:49
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Elric
    Hello!

Can't you just modify your "ext" to create a little place? That means one "hfs" around 100Mo for the boot, one "SFS", say from 2 to 4Go, for MorphOS System; after, MorphOS can use ext, so your "work" can be (at least partly) your usual linux one...

MorphOSian salutations.
  • »19.01.16 - 11:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Elric wrote:
    Hello!

Can't you just modify your "ext" to create a little place? That means one "hfs" around 100Mo for the boot, one "SFS", say from 2 to 4Go, for MorphOS System; after, MorphOS can use ext, so your "work" can be (at least partly) your usual linux one...

MorphOSian salutations.

You always need *ONE* place the OF can read. This is preferable the first partition on HD. This can be HFS or HFS+.

As far as i remember you can simply copy the boot file for linux to that HFS partition and give it a go. Using a proper forth script you do not need another boot manager. Just launch the boot image and done.

If i am wrong and linux needs to read the boot partition as well, then you need to create an additional small FAT partition keeping the boot files. But no clue about that.

I always installed my dual boot systems (with OSX) the other way around. I installed them first and simply added a MorphOS partition later. The MorphOS boot.img i placed on the HFS+ partition and used a forth boot script to select between OSX and MorphOS command.
  • »19.01.16 - 11:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    ja, the process with OSX is pretty much explained in the document, I linked - but on linux you have other enviroment and yaboot and so on... I simply can not afford do make a mistake here.

What I need is a step-by-step guide from someone with experience with installing MorphOS after Debian ppc linux.

All I´ve found so far are outdated information, that I do not want to trust.

So please, if someone here around can bring useful information to the table, feel free to post !

Best Regards
  • »19.01.16 - 13:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Just downloaded gparted into my Linux install - please help me to go thru the partitioning process
  • »19.01.16 - 20:09
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    I've done MorphOS & Ubuntu MATE on two machines. The most important thing is that you need *two* HFS partitions, one for the MorphOS-kernel and the other one for yaboot.

Apart from that it's not that hard. In the install process MorphOS *will* overwrite yaboot, so you have to boot from the Debian DVD (or directly via Open Firmware if you are used to it) again to overwrite OF to use yaboot again. Adding a Morphos-boot-entry is simply a matter of adding one line in /et/yaboot.conf then. If you want I can post the yaboot.conf of my Powerbook so you can have a look.

[ Editiert durch ernsteiswuerfel 19.01.2016 - 21:11 ]
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »19.01.16 - 20:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    OK, so I create two hfs partitions (or hfs+?) with gparted on my drive and install morphos, right?
    Then I have to boot from Debian CD - but how to recover yaboot, then???

Yes, pls post your yaboot.conf

Thanks, mate

[ Editiert durch Elowan 20.01.2016 - 08:32 ]
  • »19.01.16 - 21:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    no?!
  • »20.01.16 - 15:30
    ausPPC
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    The MorphOS boot.img i placed on the HFS+ partition and used a forth boot script to select between OSX and MorphOS command.

Could you post your Forth script? I currently do something similar but less user friendly - every time I start the Mac I go into Openfirmware and boot via the prompt.

Back in the day I had boot selection script on my Efika but I haven't had any luck with Forth on Mac Openfirmware (and I've forgotten what little Forth I'd figured out by trial and error...).
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »20.01.16 - 21:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I haven't had any luck with Forth on Mac Openfirmware

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9934&forum=3&start=5
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9934&forum=3&start=9
  • »20.01.16 - 22:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    So yaboot will not do and an extra script is needed???
    Please guys, help me out! Configuring my debian and make everything work was kind of a pain and took
    hours after hours... I do not want to make a mistake here, when installing mos next to it.
  • »21.01.16 - 07:43
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Code:
    	## yaboot.conf generated by the Ubuntu installer
    ##
    ## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
    ## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
    ##
    ## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
    ## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200BEVE-00A0HT0_WD-WXE309J36020-part4"
    device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/@0
    partition=8
    root="UUID=e7580396-741d-4923-8a8a-50db1b938df3"
    timeout=20
    install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
    magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
    enablecdboot
    enableofboot

macos=/dev/sda3
    defaultos=macos

image=/vmlinux
    label=Linux
    read-only
    initrd=/initrd.img
    append="rootflags=subvol=@ quiet splash"

image=/vmlinux.old
    label=old
    read-only
    initrd=/initrd.img.old
    append="rootflags=subvol=@ quiet splash"

To boot MorphOS from yaboot you need to know the HFS+ boot partition of MorphOS. You need to add macos=/dev/sdX to your /etc/yaboot.conf, X is your partition which in my case is sda3. This adds a "Mac OS" boot entry to the boot menu.

After you edited yaboot.conf you need to write it to your disk with sudo ybin -v -C /etc/yaboot.conf. If you booted from the Debian CD you first need to mount your Linux partition with /etc/yaboot.conf on it of course.

Next time you boot you can press "m" to boot into MorphOS, or if you want to default to it you can add the defaultos=macos line to yaboot.conf like I did. enablecdboot or enableofboot are also nice.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »22.01.16 - 00:04
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    So yaboot will not do and an extra script is needed???
    Please guys, help me out! Configuring my debian and make everything work was kind of a pain and took
    hours after hours... I do not want to make a mistake here, when installing mos next to it.

No, with yaboot you don't need an extra script. Just the HFS-bootpartition for MorphOS and of course a partition for MorphOS itself.

The funny thing is that me too had much more pain to get Ubuntu running, MorphOS hardware support worked out of the box. ;-)
  • »22.01.16 - 00:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    heheheh, right! I tried the Morphos 3.9 CD and really everything is working out of the box, WiFi, sound, you can even configure the "FN" keys on ibook keyboard - awesome sauce!

Debian on the other side... well sound still not working (after contless hours of reading forums, setting things up, WiFi was a fiddle, too. Not to mention lacking support of "special keys", no hibernate when closing the laptop, ... oh and even Iceweasel is way too slow to watch youtube - but with OWB, it´s a snap.

this makes me wanna try Morphos for real and I think I would buy a license.

Ok, so I just have to make the two HFS partitions with gparted (by booting/starting it from a CD, because only unmounted partitions can be changed, I believe), then install MOS?

But how/when do I configure the yaboot entries? Can I do that in advange or later?

kind regards
  • »22.01.16 - 07:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > no hibernate when closing the laptop

Neither with MorphOS.
  • »22.01.16 - 07:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    I can live with that - if I only manage to dual-install...
  • »22.01.16 - 09:22
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Elowan schrieb:
    Ok, so I just have to make the two HFS partitions with gparted (by booting/starting it from a CD, because only unmounted partitions can be changed, I believe), then install MOS?

But how/when do I configure the yaboot entries? Can I do that in advange or later?

kind regards

At the moment you do boot your machine with yaboot, right? So there should already be a /etc/yaboot.conf which you simply need to edit with a text editor. This can be done after installing MorphOS because MorphOS overwrites the boot sector (really sda1 which serves as boot sector) anyhow. The important part is not to forget to write the changes with ybin to disk. Merely Editing yaboot.conf does not change anything.

What is your current partition layout? And what is your current yaboot-partition? As far as I know yaboot only works with mac-partition layout, so you already should have a HFS partition for yaboot. You can check this with gparted. Then you need another HFS-partition for MorphOS boot.img and a data partition for all the other MorphOS-stuff.

The most simple case is a 4 partition layout. 1 x HFS for yaboot, 1 x HFS for MorphOS boot.img, 1 x ext4 for Linux, 1 x SFS for MorphOS. The 5th partition (sda1) is automatically created when you choose a mac-partition layout with gparted.

man yaboot.conf would also be enlightening. ;-)
  • »22.01.16 - 14:34