Mobile-optimised version of MorphZone
  • ASiegel
    As of the past weekend, MorphZone features a new mobile-optimized layout that should help to make it easier to use MorphZone on smaller handheld devices (particularly in portrait mode).

The new layout has been briefly tested on Android, iOS and Windows Mobile devices.

While the design is still preliminary and will require additional improvements (including adding support for additional website modules), please do not hesitate to report any major usability bugs that you might encounter. Thank you.
  • »12.01.16 - 13:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    I would like to see REPLIES and LAST POST info in last topics list if possible.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »12.01.16 - 14:47
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    Did not find major usability bugs, but I second pampers' request. There are some minor issues with the thread view (like the fact that the username of the author of the post is really very small on my Android device).

Kind regards.
    Andrea
  • »14.01.16 - 23:15
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    New mobile version is wrongly being displayed on Android 2.3 Gingerbeard with Opera Mini 7.5.35199.
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »15.01.16 - 09:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I want a way to get the old version too. I hate mobile phone versions and always disable them when I can.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.01.16 - 14:42
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    Nice. How do I activate it on my tablet?
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »15.01.16 - 14:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    I want a way to get the old version too. I hate mobile phone versions and always disable them when I can.

+1, these days mobile devices handles "full" versions very well so I would prefer some switch as well if possible.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »15.01.16 - 15:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    I would like to see REPLIES and LAST POST info in last topics list if possible.

Hello, replies would be doable. Showing the last post is an issue due to size constraints. It is a tradeoff between showing more discussion threads at once or more information about each discussion.
  • »16.01.16 - 10:35
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

guruman wrote:
    Did not find major usability bugs, but I second pampers' request. There are some minor issues with the thread view (like the fact that the username of the author of the post is really very small on my Android device).

Would you mind sharing a bit more information about your device? What screen size? What resolution?

Some feedback I received was that the fonts could be smaller. Obviously, it all depends on what device you use. At the moment, I am using one setting for all mobile devices that match a certain display criteria. This could certainly be extended.
  • »16.01.16 - 10:38
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    Nice. How do I activate it on my tablet?

It depends on what tablet you own. The mobile mode is currently aimed at smartphones in portrait mode as useability on larger tablets is usually fine with the desktop layout of the website. That said, I can see the mobile version on my Android tablet as long as I hold it in portrait mode but the settings are not optimized for larger mobile screens at this point.
  • »16.01.16 - 10:42
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:

If you are running Android or Windows Phone, then just hold your phone in landscape mode when you load the website, which is arguably the only usable way to navigate the desktop version on a small handheld device anyway.

This should bring up the desktop version.
  • »16.01.16 - 10:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    It is ugly and it is a pain in the a**!!!!!

I discovered the existence of this monstruosity some hours ago answering pampers using smartphone.

I fell more confortable with full site even on my smartphone...

PLEASE GIVE US A BUTTON WITH FULL SITE OPTION!
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »16.01.16 - 12:53
    BSzili
    I must be the only person who found this useful on a small smartphone screen in portrait mode :)
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »16.01.16 - 13:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @ASiegel

I'm using an Iphone 6. I don't need a mobile version as the screen is big enough. I still want a way to switch back. Mobile view may be a nice feature, but it's not my cup of tea.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »16.01.16 - 17:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    I must be the only person who found this useful on a small smartphone screen in portrait mode :)

Yeah, time for mobile upgrade ;)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »16.01.16 - 17:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @ASiegel

I'm using an Iphone 6. I don't need a mobile version as the screen is big enough.

The main idea is to enable one-handed use of the site, i.e. navigating with your thumb. This is simply impossible with the desktop layout as it requires constant zooming and panning.

Quote:

I still want a way to switch back. Mobile view may be a nice feature, but it's not my cup of tea.

I will look into it as time permits.
  • »17.01.16 - 08:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    If you are running Android or Windows Phone, then just hold your phone in landscape mode when you load the website, which is arguably the only usable way to navigate the desktop version on a small handheld device anyway.

It doesn't unfortunately on Galaxy S6.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »17.01.16 - 09:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

pampers wrote:

Did you load the site when you were in landscape mode? Rotating the screen after it was loaded will not result in any changes.
  • »17.01.16 - 10:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

pampers wrote:

Did you load the site when you were in landscape mode? Rotating the screen after it was loaded will not result in any changes.

Yes I did. Also I've noticed that site is unavailable from time to time, in the morning especially.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »17.01.16 - 11:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @ASiegel

I'm using an Iphone 6. I don't need a mobile version as the screen is big enough. I still want a way to switch back. Mobile view may be a nice feature, but it's not my cup of tea.

+1

Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

This is IMHO a better way than "buttons" or such. Only that on iPhone/iOS/Safari, it doesn't work. :-(

Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

Why not? Isn't this merely a case of CSS @media rules?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »17.01.16 - 12:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Here on my Zenfone2 I also get always the mobile version, whether I load the page in portrait or landscape.
    Could you make the thread list also horizontally scrollable so one could see which are new?
    Or could the thread titles have a different color (or bold) which have new articles since last visiting?
  • »17.01.16 - 12:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

I don't think so as resizing in desktop browser doesn't give you mobile mode. Looks like some plugin for forum engine or so.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »17.01.16 - 14:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

I don't think so as resizing in desktop browser doesn't give you mobile mode.

That is because I am using max-device-width rather than the far more generic max-width.

I see no point in switching to a touch-focused mobile layout when somebody resizes a browser window on a desktop computer.

Quote:

Looks like some plugin for forum engine or so.

It's not.
  • »18.01.16 - 03:34
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

This is IMHO a better way than "buttons" or such. Only that on iPhone/iOS/Safari, it doesn't work. :-(

It should work now.

Quote:

Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

Sure. But when I find a minute to post here, that does not automatically imply I have access to the necessary files and software to update the website instead.
  • »18.01.16 - 03:39
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    Here on my Zenfone2 I also get always the mobile version, whether I load the page in portrait or landscape.

Would you mind testing again?

Quote:

Could you make the thread list also horizontally scrollable so one could see which are new?
    Or could the thread titles have a different color (or bold) which have new articles since last visiting?

I am looking into displaying information about the latest post for each thread.

Highlighting unread threads or posts is possible but it is an imperfect solution as it only works reliably as long as you are always logged in on all devices you might access this website from.
  • »18.01.16 - 03:48