FLAC Bounty - update
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Nearly 3 years ago Krashan decided to open up a bounty for FLAC support in Reggae. Unfortunately he didn't completed the bounty, he dropped so we still have money to spend.

I've asked Krashan several times if it's possible to get that bounty done as it was quite close already (progress was posted in this topic: https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=32&topic_id=8807&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&start=0) and I didn't get definite NO by that time.

Now, as time flies and I don't want to hold that money any more I would you to decide what to do with the cash. The main problem is that the main donor Fraggle is deceased :( I don't feel in position to speak in behalf of him at all.

The best option would be if Krashan could finish that bounty so the problem will solve itself and we will get one more functionality in MorphOS. I encourage Krashan to finish the bounty but I understand if he won't. So in case if Krashan won't finish it - what should we do with the money?

The donors list can be found at:

http://morphos.pl/format-flac-w-reggae/

If anyone wishes to get his donation back, please drop me a mail or PM and I will
    send his contribution back.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »12.01.16 - 12:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    If not Krashan is up for the job any longer, maybe some other volunteer could be offered to step up?

Or if nobody is interested to work with FLAC at all, then how about some other codec for Reggae?

Personally, I would love to see MorphOS native (through Reggae) read/write support for WebP:

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »12.01.16 - 12:42
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    My hobby activity has shifted lately towards classic Amiga and electronics. I see no point in making void promises. While I have released a limited (but working) decoder (only decodes 44.1 kHz, 16 bit streams), bounty requires also an encoder. I cannot predict if I ever write one. Therefore I finally and officially give up the bounty.
  • »12.01.16 - 17:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I can't see encoder being that important... there are other ways to produce flac files, and we already have Flacapella to rip CDs into flac. And current decoder format would be enough for me, but I'd still like to see metadata support added into it. I could donate if that'd be made :)

[ Edited by jPV 12.01.2016 - 20:53 ]
  • »12.01.16 - 18:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:
    My hobby activity has shifted lately towards classic Amiga and electronics.

Sad to 'hear' that...
  • »13.01.16 - 08:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    In my opinion if Krashan would add meta support and other streams decoding we could close that bounty as finished (without encoder).
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »13.01.16 - 10:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    In my opinion if Krashan would add meta support and other streams decoding we could close that bounty as finished (without encoder).

Sounds good to me. If not, I leave it up to you Pampers to re-distribute my donation where you think best.
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »13.01.16 - 13:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Krashan

A FLAC decoder without encoder is better than no decoder. There are other ways to encode FLAC really well in MorphOS anyway. But I do hope you are not quitting working on MorphOS though.

I didn't donate to this bounty, but I think it would be fair that Krashan got paid for the work done at least.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »13.01.16 - 17:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Seems that Krashan is not interested at all.

Quote:

I didn't donate to this bounty, but I think it would be fair that Krashan got paid for the work done at least.

I don't feel comfortable deciding on my own in here as the main donor is not with us any more.. I think we could pay a half for example and move other half for different bounty.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »14.01.16 - 08:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BSzili
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    Seems that Krashan is not interested at all.

Quote:

I don't feel comfortable deciding on my own in here as the main donor is not with us any more.. I think we could pay a half for example and move other half for different bounty.

That sounds like a fair solution, since half of the work is done. I guess Fraggle would have been okay with putting his money into other MorphOS related bounties.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »14.01.16 - 08:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    But I do hope you are not quitting working on MorphOS though.

It seems like I am, if by "working" you mean programming. I will probably stay a not very active user. For this reason I do not want to receive any part of FLAC bounty. I'm not short of money anyway.
  • »17.01.16 - 07:51
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Drako^lM
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    But I do hope you are not quitting working on MorphOS though.

It seems like I am, if by "working" you mean programming. I will probably stay a not very active user. For this reason I do not want to receive any part of FLAC bounty. I'm not short of money anyway.

Is time for some vacation im morphos coding .
    But you will fixed bugs in you morphos software ?
    Hardware :
    Power Mac G5 2.3 Ghz & MorphOS 3.18 & OSX 10.5
    Mini G4 1.5 Ghz & MorphOS 3.18
    BlaBla Team Member -> http://blabla.ppa.pl
    AmiParty Team Member -> http://www.chal.pl/
  • »17.01.16 - 09:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:

It's not about being short or not, that's not our business at all but it's about being fair and imho fair is to pay you 50% of the bounty money as you did some of the job.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »17.01.16 - 09:15
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Drako^lM
    Quote:

pampers wrote:

It's not about being short or not, that's not our business at all but it's about being fair and imho fair is to pay you 50% of the bounty money as you did some of the job.

Very good idea
    Hardware :
    Power Mac G5 2.3 Ghz & MorphOS 3.18 & OSX 10.5
    Mini G4 1.5 Ghz & MorphOS 3.18
    BlaBla Team Member -> http://blabla.ppa.pl
    AmiParty Team Member -> http://www.chal.pl/
  • »17.01.16 - 09:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    If not Krashan is up for the job any longer, maybe some other volunteer could be offered to step up?

Or if nobody is interested to work with FLAC at all, then how about some other codec for Reggae?

Personally, I would love to see MorphOS native (through Reggae) read/write support for WebP:

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP

Reggae video part has been mantained by me since a long time (just check version of decoder files :) ) and most of important image decoders and encoders have been written. Now, i'm working on image filters which will be included in next MorphOS release. Then i'm going to extend video formats (starting from iff anim and all divx, etc.) But i won't work on sound classes, so no Flac encoders/decoders from my side.
  • »17.01.16 - 11:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @krashan

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you return someday.

My MorphOS blog
  • »17.01.16 - 11:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Krashan

Sorry to hear that! :-/

@zukow

Glad to hear that! :-)

;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »17.01.16 - 12:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Any news about this? I would really like native FLAC support in Jukebox :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »09.03.16 - 17:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    No, krashan definitely said that he won't do anything more in this matter and we've decided in here to pay out 50% of the bounty sum. Thanks for reminding me to finish that one.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »09.03.16 - 18:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Krashan just got 50% of the bounty sum. We have to decide where to transfer remaining money.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »02.04.16 - 16:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I'm going to prepare an archive containing current flac.demuxer and flac.decoder binaries as well as source code. I expect to have it ready before the end of April.
  • »02.04.16 - 16:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:
    My hobby activity has shifted lately towards classic Amiga and electronics. I see no point in making void promises. While I have released a limited (but working) decoder (only decodes 44.1 kHz, 16 bit streams), bounty requires also an encoder. I cannot predict if I ever write one. Therefore I finally and officially give up the bounty.

Very sad, we lost with you a good coder.
    Hope in the future you can reconsider your position.
    Do you think to release public all morphos sources you are working on and worked in the past in order to keep someway alive the projects for morphos platform?
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »03.04.16 - 19:16
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Quote:

Do you think to release public all morphos sources you are working on and worked in the past in order to keep someway alive the projects for morphos platform?
    As for projects being part of MorphOS, it is the MorphOS Team decision. As for those being separate applications not distributed on MorphOS ISO – which ones are you interested in?
  • »03.04.16 - 19:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:
    Quote:

As for projects being part of MorphOS, it is the MorphOS Team decision. As for those being separate applications not distributed on MorphOS ISO – which ones are you interested in?

There is a PCB editor you have started years ago...
    What is the progress of it? Do you plan to finish it one day?
  • »04.04.16 - 08:15