Youtube videos on G4 Powerbook 1.67GHz (A1138)
  • Just looking around
    TimoVo
    Hi,

I'm trying out MorphOS 3.9 in Powerbook and it seems to work quite nicely.
    However, youtube videos simply won't play very well. I'm using OWB 1.24 with youtube full screen fix.
    In full screen mode the html5 videos play slightly better but still even with the lowest 360 pixel -quality they only play ok for about 1-2 seconds and then it stops for a second or two and then continues again.
    I'm using the native resolution 24bit 1440x960.
    Is there something I can do to improve this since at the moment browsing youtube is unusable?
    ... Or is this hardware just too old to do this?

-Timo
  • »09.01.16 - 12:03
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

TimoVo wrote:
    Hi,

I'm trying out MorphOS 3.9 in Powerbook and it seems to work quite nicely.
    However, youtube videos simply won't play very well. I'm using OWB 1.24 with youtube full screen fix.
    In full screen mode the html5 videos play slightly better but still even with the lowest 360 pixel -quality they only play ok for about 1-2 seconds and then it stops for a second or two and then continues again.
    I'm using the native resolution 24bit 1440x960.
    Is there something I can do to improve this since at the moment browsing youtube is unusable?
    ... Or is this hardware just too old to do this?

Sounds like you have a slow network connection, if it plays fine for some seconds (cpu isn't probably at max either?) and then halts. Are you using the internal WLAN? BTW. which Powerbook model it is (CPU speed)?

If it's about the network spees as I suspect, using an Atheros5xxx card in cardbus slot or wired connection would help. Anyway, if you have >1GHz machine, Youtube videos should play just fine in full screen mode.
  • »09.01.16 - 12:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    TimoVo
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

Sounds like you have a slow network connection, if it plays fine for some seconds (cpu isn't probably at max either?) and then halts. Are you using the internal WLAN? BTW. which Powerbook model it is (CPU speed)?

If it's about the network spees as I suspect, using an Atheros5xxx card in cardbus slot or wired connection would help. Anyway, if you have >1GHz machine, Youtube videos should play just fine in full screen mode.

Thanks for your comments!
    It is a G4 Powerbook 1.67GHz (A1138).
    Network should not be the issue. I'm using wired ethernet connection. Also the Youtube progress bar shows that it has downloaded way more than where it is currently playing. If I pause the playback and let it download the whole clip into cache the playing problem is still there once I resume playing.
    System monitor shows that CPU jumps between 60% - 99.9%

[ Edited by TimoVo 09.01.2016 - 23:36 ]
  • »09.01.16 - 13:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Try using the flash script and flash settings in YT. Works for me.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »09.01.16 - 14:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    TimoVo
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Try using the flash script and flash settings in YT. Works for me.

Ok, Could you clarify which script this is and where can I get it, please?
    Thanks
    -Timo
  • »09.01.16 - 15:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Playing Videos in OWB is a challenge....better use MPLAYER instead!
    Please see this (german) thread: http://www.pegasosforum.de/download/file.php?id=1049 (starting at contribution from "igracki")
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »09.01.16 - 17:03
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

TimoVo wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

Thanks for your comments!
    It is a G4 Powerbook 1.67MHz (A1138).
    Network should not be the issue. I'm using wired ethernet connection. Also the Youtube progress bar shows that it has downloaded way more than where it is currently playing. If I pause the playback and let it download the whole clip into cache the playing problem is still there once I resume playing.
    System monitor shows that CPU jumps between 60% - 99.9%

Oops, sorry, didn't read the subject too carefully, you said the CPU speed there (although it should be GHz ;).

That machine should be perfectly fine to play 360p videos from YT, if the fullscreen fix script is working. I just tired few videos from YT:s main page without problems with PB A1139. CPU load was quite steady bit over 50%.

Pausing and waiting the video to fully load should indeed eliminate the network suspicions too...

Are you spoofing the browser as some other browser than OWB (default)? I remember that full screen fix didn't work correctly when spoofed as some other browser (IPad or something).

Full screen fix is enabled from the scripts window for sure? :) And it's the latest version from Fab's page (Grunch for example didn't fetch the latest one last time I tried, you should update it manually)?

You shouldn't need any HTML5 converter scripts with OWB anymore, just the full screen fix script enabled. And if the video doesn't play at all, it's blocked by AdBlock (add an allow rule for youtube.com then).

Can you give some URL to a video which does this for you that I can test if it's not because of a video?

[ Edited by jPV 09.01.2016 - 20:26 ]
  • »09.01.16 - 18:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    TimoVo
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

Oops, sorry, didn't read the subject too carefully, you said the CPU speed there (although it should be GHz ;).

Yes, GHz, of course :)

Quote:

That machine should be perfectly fine to play 360p videos from YT, if the fullscreen fix script is working. I just tired few videos from YT:s main page without problems with PB A1139. CPU load was quite steady bit over 50%.

Pausing and waiting the video to fully load should indeed eliminate the network suspicions too...

Are you spoofing the browser as some other browser than OWB (default)? I remember that full screen fix didn't work correctly when spoofed as some other browser (IPad or something).

Full screen fix is enabled from the scripts window for sure? :) And it's the latest version from Fab's page (Grunch for example didn't fetch the latest one last time I tried, you should update it manually)?

You shouldn't need any HTML5 converter scripts with OWB anymore, just the full screen fix script enabled. And if the video doesn't play at all, it's blocked by AdBlock (add an allow rule for youtube.com then).

Can you give some URL to a video which does this for you that I can test if it's not because of a video?

Yes, Full screen youtube script has been selected in the windows/scripts -section and it has the 'enabled' checked, also.
    The script was downloaded here:
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/scripts/YouTube_Fullscreen_Fix.js

The problem is with every video... For example with this Dire Straits & Eric calpton - Siltans of Swing -clip:
    https://youtu.be/6jxsnIRpy2E
  • »09.01.16 - 21:58
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    deez
    Hmm, can you make a sshot of OWB Settings/Preferences.../Media
    ...and Windows/Scripts... ?
  • »09.01.16 - 23:39
  • Just looking around
    TimoVo
    Quote:

deez wrote:

I failed to attach png file(s) here for some reason.
    Gave somekind of error about not being able to write to cache...(?)
    Let's see if these links work:
    https://imageshack.com/i/p7RWs4f6p
    https://imageshack.com/i/p3l6l8sJp
  • »10.01.16 - 07:46
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

TimoVo wrote:

The problem is with every video... For example with this Dire Straits & Eric calpton - Siltans of Swing -clip:
    https://youtu.be/6jxsnIRpy2E

That video plays just fine here on my Powerbook 1.67GHz (Atheros5000 wlan), iBook 1.33GHz (internal wlan), and with Mac mini 1.5GHz (wired network). Played it through on all machines without any hiccups.

Here's a photo of my PB playing it with CPU load displayed: link. CPU was at 100% at first in the embedded window mode, then in the fullscreen mode CPU load changed between 50-60% when downloading from the network, and then pretty steady 40% while watching the fully loaded video (few peaks from my other activity). Just for curiosity, Mac mini played it with 30%, maybe some driver or other config issue.

But hmm.. when it stops there, does the audio stop too or just the video display? Any gfx distortion anywhere? Do you still have free graphics memory (your machine should have it plenty, but getting out of ideas here)?
  • »10.01.16 - 09:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Using the provided link to the video of Dire Straits & Eric calpton I get following result on Mac Mini:

OWBYoutube.png

I cannot see the toolbar and cannot select fullscreen.
    I donnot even see the video, but I can hear the music/sound.
    The Fullscreen script is active.
    regards
    eliot
  • »10.01.16 - 10:03
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

eliot wrote:
    Using the provided link to the video of Dire Straits & Eric calpton I get following result on Mac Mini:

OWBYoutube.png

Maybe you have Youtube HTML5 Converter script enabled? Disable it if you do and relaunch the browser. Or are you spoofing the browser as some other browser?
  • »10.01.16 - 10:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

eliot wrote:

OWBYoutube.png

Maybe you have Youtube HTML5 Converter script enabled? Disable it if you do and relaunch the browser. Or are you spoofing the browser as some other browser?

Perfect, now it works well:
    OWBYoutubeWorking.png
    regards
    eliot
  • »10.01.16 - 10:29
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    deez
    Quote:

TimoVo wrote:
    Quote:

deez wrote:

I failed to attach png file(s) here for some reason.
    Gave somekind of error about not being able to write to cache...(?)
    Let's see if these links work:
    https://imageshack.com/i/p7RWs4f6p
    https://imageshack.com/i/p3l6l8sJp

Try enable WebM, FLV, Ogg. If don't help...
    Try "install" fresh OWB.
  • »10.01.16 - 11:07
  • Just looking around
    TimoVo
    Quote:

deez wrote:

Try enable WebM, FLV, Ogg. If don't help...
    Try "install" fresh OWB.

I did a fresh install of OWB 1.24 and after this the only change I did was that I installed the latest youtube full screen script
    ... It is working !!!!!! :)
    CPU load is also looking good : 30% - 70% ...mostly stays around 40%

Thanks everybody for helping out!
    -Timo
  • »10.01.16 - 16:53
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Good that it's working now :) One thing came in my mind which could have affected, if you had very old installation of OWB and fullscreen fix script, the allowed sites list for fullscreen fix script might have been outdated. I noticed once that newer scripts added more urls to that list than older ones. And in that case you should have removed the script completely and not just updating its file, before adding it again as newer one.

[ Edited by jPV 10.01.2016 - 19:58 ]
  • »10.01.16 - 17:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > if you had very old installation of OWB and fullscreen fix script, the allowed
    > sites list for fullscreen fix script might have been outdated. I noticed once
    > that newer scripts added more urls to that list than older ones.

Yes, I remember I had this problem as well:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=9462&start=119

> in that case you should have removed the script completely and not just updating
    > its file, before adding it again as newer one.

Strangely, the screenshot in comment #10 shows an "allowed sites" list that is the same as that of the current version of the script.
  • »10.01.16 - 22:15