OpenBSD try
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DSLCC
    I managed to get it running on my Peggy. Then managed to screw it up when I tried to install KDE. Not really sure what I'm doing is the main problem. A Pegasos install guide including installing KDE would be most helpful. :-)
    Pegasos 1 G3 MorphOS 1.4.5* Mac G4 Sawtooth 1Ghz Tiger 10.4.1* Both Rock! :-D
  • »09.12.03 - 14:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Coder:

OPenBsd works great on the Pegasos. Actually, the person who maintains the PPC version of Open BSD works for Genesi! (Dale Rahn) We will be at the InfoSec show @ the Javits center in NYC this weeks showcasing the Pegasos Guardian that runs OpenBSD!

Magnetic

BTW We have our own BSD developer forum off of PEgasosppc.com - check out "operating systems" link..
    :-D
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »09.12.03 - 15:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    Magnetic:

I already went to the site a lot but at the forums I cannot submit anything or see anything. Do I have to activate something? I am member.

I think I will go with OpenBSD (Why do I always type OpenBeos first?). To try it out and see.

Coder
  • »09.12.03 - 16:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    _coliN_
    Hello!

Is the install for OpenBSD very big?

I would really be happy to try OpenBSD, but the download with annalog
    modem takes to long...

Is there another way to purchase OpenBSD for Pegasos?

Greets! Bo
  • »10.12.03 - 10:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @_coliN_

Quote:

Is the install for OpenBSD very big?

Around the 128mb. I got it with my analog modem. That's all I have. I can get "fast" inet here in Bangkok but that only means 24 hours a day acces for a fixed price. And a heavy price that is. The speed is the same as analog. I think the rest of the OpenBSD cd's will be around 3? I can only download what I need I think. They sell Linux a lot here in Bangkok but only x86 and if you ask for a PPC Linux (if they have it) they look at you like you come from another planet. Hmm maybe because of the bucket.

Anywho, I am going to put OpenBSD on the testbank to see if it does what it should do.

Coder
  • »10.12.03 - 18:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DSLCC
    It's about 130 megs like Coder said. Wonder if I could mail you a copy?

David
    :-D
  • »10.12.03 - 20:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    Hi,

Installing OpenBSD is a pain in the ass. It does state that but after giving it a try I must say it's very difficult. But that might be attractive for some people.

Coder
  • »10.12.03 - 20:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    BobDawg1
    Having installed 3 of the BSD's, Free/Net/Open, on many systems I find the OpenBSD install the easiest. What was so hard about it? Granted I've been running OBSD since version 2.3, released May 1998. Wow!! How time flies.
  • »11.12.03 - 01:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    what window manager comes with openbsd?
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »11.12.03 - 02:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @BobDawg1

It's ok after digging into it but as a first user experience I would say difficult. It's not suited for Joe Avarage. But maybe I am a bit strict. :-)

Coder
  • »11.12.03 - 09:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DSLCC
    I think my problem with it is just ignorance. :) I'm used to apt-get on debian and although there is a similar proggie for openbsd, it failed to get a few files necessary for a kde install. I need to do some reading. It also completely trashes the console screen after exiting from xwindows - that may be due to my Radeon 9000 pro...don't know. I'm gonna once again remove my MorphOS drive and give it another shot. I very much like a challenge and I'll probably get little or no rest until I've figured it out. :)
    :-)
  • »11.12.03 - 17:12
  • Just looking around
    BobDawg1
    The default X install comes with fvwm & twm.

however there are many other WM's available via the packages/ports system.

I've always used my OBSD boxen as servers and firewalls, I know others that use it as desktop systems. You should join the openbsd ppc list if you are really interested in running OBSD on your PEG. Dale Rahn is the guy that did the Peg port and he's on that list as are some other Genesi people.
  • »12.12.03 - 00:51
  • Just looking around
    BobDawg1
    per the OpenBSD Peg page; http://www.openbsd.org/pegasos.html

supported Video Cards

* ATI Radeon 7500 QW
  • »12.12.03 - 00:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    Hi,

Still did not get it straight, the forums on the Pegasos OpenBSD site do not work, right? At least I cannot post. Would be handy though when I am running into probs.

Coder
  • »12.12.03 - 20:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    BobDawg1
    I noticed that the Pegasos OpenBSD forum isn't working either. I thought it might have been because I wasn't logged into the OpenBSD PPC Developer Connection when I tried to go to the forum.
  • »13.12.03 - 16:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    @BobDawg1

Even logged in it does not work. I mailed the man of the port about it. I need it to work since I am installing it and I sometimes run into some things I want to talk about. :-)

Coder
  • »13.12.03 - 17:09
    Profile Visit Website