Radeons PCI don't work in the Pegasos1! ...but maybe in Peg
    Miky060
    Hi guys.
    I don't like picture quality of Voodoo's boards that on my 22 inches CRT monitor give me really bad image, so I'm useing a Radeon 7500 AGP for months. But as you all know Radeons still miss 3D support in MorphOS so I wanted to find a combiantion of Voodoo/Radeon boards to have both things in my system.
    I tought to add a PCI Voodoo3 to my AGP Radeon to use this one only for 3D gameing. But I immediately discovered it was not possible. Guys on #morphos told me that the OpenFirmware initialize PCI boards first at the boot and that the not-initialized AGP Radeon will not be recognized-usable in MorphOS. So I trashed this solution...
    I thought to the other solution: to use a PCI Radeon (that will be initialized first by OF, so usable in Mos) and an AGP Voodoo. I spoke of this solution on #morphos and it seemed this solution had to work. So I buyed a Radeon 7000 PCI, but I'm sad to state that it totally doesn't work in the Pegasos!
    I tryed it togheter with a Voodoo3 AGP and alone: in every case the Pegasos freezes at the boot (I see the HD led always 'on') and I'm not able to see the OF at all!. :-( :-( :-(
    Some help? Does this mean that the OpenFirmware of the Pegasos can't handle PCI Radeons? If so, don't you thing this miss thing should be elencated somewhere in Peg/OF specs-characteristics?
    :-( :-( :-(

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »07.12.03 - 16:40
    Profile Visit Website
    You should setup a serial link to show what's happening, if your card has no x86 bios, the display will be send to the serial port .

Use this method to see what's hapening.
    If not, send me the card directly :)
    Pegasos rulez since august 2002
  • »08.12.03 - 07:29
    Miky060
    I'm not able to use a serial connection, never done. I don't know which cable to use and wich software. Moreover I have no PC near the Peg.
    However this board was in a PC so it should have x86 bios. I don't thik a board for Mac can work in a PC, or am I wrong? If not the problem is not the GFX board bios, but the Pegasos OF.

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »08.12.03 - 14:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hi Milky
    I have recently tried a Radeon 7000 PCI and the peg wont even get to the OF screen. THis means OF is not reading it... this is not good, as I assumed it would work. I do think that the Peg2 OF may recognize it though..

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »09.12.03 - 15:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    You need a 5euro null modem cable.

You can use a PC, a Mac, an Atari, an Amiga or even you pocket
    calculator as long as it handles 115200bps and has a terminal program
    (there are several for each system, there is even one in Windows's
    default install).
  • »09.12.03 - 20:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    maxellmini
    ah micky this is proof you dont know jack what you are talking about . Espeically in the hardware side. If you like that quality you are sure lacking in high standards. :-x 8-)
  • »11.12.03 - 15:50
    Miky060
    @maxellmini
    I don't understand your english, what are you trying to say? I don't understand what!?

@Henes
    I'm looking for a null modem cable, stay tuned, you'll have to work to fix Radeons PCI cards problem ;-)

• »11.12.03 - 17:22
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    Hi people!!! Good news!! ....Maybe
    Just tryed Radeon 7000PCI in PegII (togheter with the usual Voodoo3 3000AGP) and it works!!
    Now I have this problem, Warp3D seems to not work :-( If I launch Wipeout or QuakeII I have this error message:"Warp3D: drive not found!". Why this? I choose Voodoo3 screen to run them? I also tryed to set Ambient to use Voodoo and launch the 2 games from there, same results. Why this? It could be that the games doesn't recognized which GFX board to use (even if I selected Voodoo3: 24 bit 640x480...), but it's impossible because I launche also Ambient on voodoo: pratically the Radeon in this mo,ment is only phisically plugged inside the pegasos.
    I hope someone can help me. Henes, are you tuned? :-)

• »03.01.04 - 12:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Well, the Voodoo 3 can only do 3D in 16 bit, only the Voodoo 4 and 5 can do in 15, 16 and 32 bpp.

If you tried a 32 bit mode for all of these things, then that could be the reason.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »03.01.04 - 12:45
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    Yep, I am so stupid, I forgot that Voodoo can handle only 16 bit 3D stuff. Just tryed at 16 bit and Wipeout works!!!! 8-)
    Quake II still doesn't work, any tip?

• »03.01.04 - 14:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Milky this is very cool

I want to go with Radeon for better gfx but dont want to lose 3d for cool euro demos and games.. so:

1. you are saying that AGP Radeon wont work with PCI Voodoo? why not?

2. You say AGP voodoo and PCi radeon are ok?

3. what other combos have u tried?

thomas
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »07.01.04 - 20:03
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    Hi magnenNNnntic, my name is Miky not Milky!! :-D

> 1. you are saying that AGP Radeon wont work with PCI Voodoo? why not?

As I already wrote, guys on #morphos told me that the OpenFirmware initialize PCI boards first at the boot. The not-initialized AGP Radeon will not be recognized-usable in MorphOS. So I trashed this solution and tryed the other one (Voodoo even not inizialized as first by OF can be used by MOS the same, I don't know more technical details, sorry)

> 2. You say AGP voodoo and PCi radeon are ok?

I'm useing them togheter for almost a week and it seems to go ok. I have strange crashes playing DVDs in these day, but I still don't know if it is connected to my 2 GFX combo or to others iussues. Moreover to play QuakeII on Voodoo I have to remove Radeon driver from DEVS:monitors and reboot the system (even if I switch Ambient to a Voodoo screen and launch QII it tells that it can't find Warp3D drivers..). Wipeout instead runs without problems, I launch it from Ambient (on Radeon screen..) and select a Voodoo screen mode...

> 3. what other combos have u tried?
    On Peg1 I also tryed to use two Radeons (AGP + PCI), I have still not tryed here, I will do, even if this combo is almost useless (apart of the double monitor opportunity.)

• »07.01.04 - 21:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    theone
    What he was trying to get across to you ,which was very clear. Is that you dont understand hardware or software archuticeture . In otherwards you are blind as a bat and just as brainwashed to the wrong Ideas. Thats what he said. 8-)
  • »10.01.04 - 10:03