Saying Hi
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    drphil
    Just wanted to post to say Hi to everyone on the forums,

I'm Phil from New Zealand

I Joined the MorphZone forum as of yesterday, although I have been using MorphOS since ver 3.6

I knew absolutely nothing about AmigaOS or MorphOS until I fired up MorphOS on an old Apple G4 that was being chucked out.(Unfortunately it died in the end)

Since then, I picked up a free PowerMac G5 and have slowly been making the transition to MorphOS. I recently got rid of my x86 desktop and I'm determined to make MorphOS 3.9 my daily driver.

I enjoy following Yasu's Blog and reading through the Morphos Library.

Each day I seem to discover something new about MorphOS and how clever and lightweight it is!

See you round the forums

Cheers,
    Phil
    1.6Ghz PowerMac G5, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, MorphOS 3.9.

Why make life difficult when with a bit of effort you can make it impossible
  • »29.11.15 - 23:51
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    wolfe
    Hello, welcome and enjoy . . . :-)
  • »30.11.15 - 07:03
  • ASiegel
    Thanks for sharing :-)
  • »30.11.15 - 07:28
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Welcome, mate.

Have you already registered your MorphOS copy? If so - what was your licence number and date? We need more data to do a better graph
  • »30.11.15 - 10:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Welcome to our gang, and thanks for the kind words about my blog :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »30.11.15 - 12:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    drphil
    Thanks guys :-)

Really great to be here!

Apart from the MorphOS Library (Which I Find extremely useful!) is there a complete guide or book I can read about MorphOS?

>Have you already registered your MorphOS copy? If so - what was your licence number and date? We need more data to do a better graph

Yup, all registered. Where do I find the licence number and date? Is that the invoice ID on the paypal receipt?

• »30.11.15 - 19:31
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    drphil
    Is there a time and place where people from the forums meet together? Like a MorphOS get together?

• »30.11.15 - 19:37
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    drphil
    >Have you already registered your MorphOS copy? If so - what was your licence number and date? We need more data to do a better graph

Found it!

2351 on 18.06.2014

• »30.11.15 - 20:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    The only one I know is Geit@Home in Germany. I want to go there someday :-)

http://www.geit.de/eng_index.html
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »30.11.15 - 20:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    drphil
    I've always wanted an excuse to go to Germany :-)

• »30.11.15 - 20:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

drphil wrote:

Really great to be here!

Apart from the MorphOS Library (Which I Find extremely useful!) is there a complete guide or book I can read about MorphOS?

Yup, all registered. Where do I find the licence number and date? Is that the invoice ID on the paypal receipt?

Hi Phil,

Welcome to our little community. Most people are very friendly and bend over backwards to help each other.

There are plenty of old Amiga documents and books available that will help you understand a lot of MorphOS stuff.

If you PM me your email address I can send you a bunch of PDF's if you like?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »30.11.15 - 21:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

drphil wrote:
    Is there a time and place where people from the forums meet together? Like a MorphOS get together?

Quite a few MorphOS users are somewhat active in demoscene (many going to demoparties, and some even coding demos. I'm somewhat active in Finland, but mostly code demos for C64)
  • »30.11.15 - 21:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    drphil
    >If you PM me your email address I can send you a bunch of PDF's if you like?

Yes Please! Just PMed you now

--

>Quite a few MorphOS users are somewhat active in demoscene (many going to demoparties, and some even coding demos. I'm somewhat active in Finland, but mostly code demos for C64)

Finland too?! Man, I need to get to Europe!

• »30.11.15 - 21:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > 2351 on 18.06.2014

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=14&topic_id=5875&start=684

That's strange :-)
  • »30.11.15 - 21:40
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    drphil
    Good spotting batman

Yup! That's me, so It's already been recorded :-)

I completely forgot about that!

That was probably when I first signed up to WArMUp back in 2014 with my RIP PowerMac G4

• »30.11.15 - 22:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Daff

Welcome to MorphOS.

If you want more readings, you can go to my website : http://obligement.free.fr/

It's in french but you can translate in english (googlish :)) with the little flags in the left.

Obligement have hundreds of MorphOS related articles with reviews of softwares, hardwares, interviews with MorphOS guys, reports of MorphOS events, various tutorials, history articles, etc.

The main article about MorphOS is "Débuter sur MorphOS" specially wroten for beginners: http://obligement.free.fr/articles/debutermorphospegasos.php
    Obligement - L'Amiga au maximum
    http://obligement.free.fr
  • »01.12.15 - 05:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

drphil wrote:

The Pegasos Book could be a good read for newbies too. It's mainly from MorphOS 1.x times, but you get the basics covered further than just reading the Amiga books :)

You'll find if for example here: http://www.morphos-files.net/find.php?find=pegasos+book

Edit: well... took a quick look to it now and it indeed is pretty outdated information on many parts :) But well.. if you're interested to take a look anyway, but don't go installing the system programs etc it recommends ;)

Official Amiga manuals are good read for example for AmigaDOS (shell) parts.

[ Edited by jPV 01.12.2015 - 10:38 ]
  • »01.12.15 - 07:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

drphil wrote:

Really great to be here!

Welcome to these forums! Always great to learn of a new MorphOS user who did not come from a background of being a current or former Amiga user. Even more interesting that someone outside the Amiga community would think of trying to switch to using any Amiga variant as their primary daily computer, though some of our older long time Amiga and MorphOS users claim that they continue to try to use MorphOS as their primary "daily driver" computer system.

You'll find more reading material for AmigaOS1.0 to AmigaOS3.9, than for MorphOS, and a lot of it will apply, or give you a background on how MorphOS works, or is organized, but MorphOS has really moved a long way forward (onward and upward) from where the Amiga was at in 1994 when Commodore went bankrupt.

I have tons of books on the original Amiga and during my recent packing to move to a new house, I found that I have several duplicates of some of the Commodore ROM Kernel manuals for the Amiga. If you want to pay the shipping from California to New Zealand, you can have them for free, but the information on the MorphZone.org Library is more useful and specifically for MorphOS, so it will be better for you than the old ROM kernel manuals for AmigaOS1.3 and 3.0.

I envy you for the place you live. My sister and her husband moved to New Zealand over 30 years ago and still live there today. I visited there several years ago in February for a couple of weeks, and I am convinced that it is one of the most beautiful places on the whole planet and would love to live there permanently, but it is too far from my adult Sons, and my Grandson, and my Sister has told me that it is not easy to emigrate and become a permanent resident if you are retired, like I am now.

Again, welcome, and please share more info on how you are progressing with your switch from Windows and/or Mac, (of Linux) to MorphOS, and why you prefer to use it over those other choices.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »01.12.15 - 08:25
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    drphil
    @Daff

Thanks mate, I have a good read through using google translate and add it to my ever expanding library on MorphOS, I think I may have come across your website before during a late night googling session.

I need to understand the basics.
    --

@jPV

Thanks! Just downloaded it ;-) I'm keen to start from the beginning to see how MorphOS has developed. It's important to understand the background and yes, shell commands are something I really need to get down pat!

--

@Amigadave

I'm determined to quit windows and make an effort. There is so much support from the MorphOS community, and it's making the transition so much easier!

Thanks so much for your offer of books, i'll let you know. Not sure what the cost of shipping would be, books can be surprisingly heavy!

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated with how I'm getting on, it's just taking time to find replacement apps for every things I would do on Windows. Luckily, most things are web based these days so its much easier

Thanks for your kind words about middle earth :-) You're welcome to come down this way anytime, the airfares can be a bit pricey, but it depends on the season.

We've had our ups and downs with earthquakes. The Christchurch re-build it taking forever, but the rest of the country (Wellington in particular) is doing great ;-)

What part of NZ is your sister living in?

Yes it can be a bit difficult to immigrate here, but most countries are visa-waiver and you can spend up to 3 months at a time without worrying visas :-)

I remember reading on a blog somewhere that Trevor from A-Eon lives down this part of the world too!

Phil

• »01.12.15 - 22:37
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    drphil
    @Amigadave

Quote:

Again, welcome, and please share more info on how you are progressing with your switch from Windows and/or Mac, (of Linux) to MorphOS, and why you prefer to use it over those other choices.

Probably the main reasons I prefer MorphOS so far are because:

>It's different to everything I have used so far, I like the way the interface is laid out. It has a classic look, but yet it has a very smooth polished 3D feel about it

>I'm from NZ, I love to be green and recycle things. Being able to pick up old Apple hardware instead of it going to the tip (Dump) and load a modern OS is just fantastic! Most apple hardware is well built and there are plenty of parts.

>It's fast. It boots in seconds, the apps are lightweight and web browsing is a breeze (YouTube videos aren't great though, don't know if that's just my settings)

>It's maintained by a small group of core developers. The license fee is very reasonable and it shows that money isn't everything in a quality product. They are doing an awesome job.

>There's quite a large amount of free apps on Aminet and MorphOS files

>The community. People are friendly, helpful, and it makes the OS so much more enjoyable knowing the support is there

I mean, i'm not a developer or a programmer, but I really want to contribute anyway I can

• »01.12.15 - 22:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Trevor from A-Eon lives down this part of the world too!

Yes, in Wellington.

http://www.studiopacific.co.nz/projects/2011/dickinson-house/
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/business/residential-property/7932674/Revamp-highlights-striking-landscape
    http://www.ilikearchitecture.net/2013/04/dickinson-house-studio-of-pacific-architecture/
    http://www.archdaily.com/424256/dickinson-house-studio-pacific-architecture
  • »01.12.15 - 23:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > YouTube videos aren't great

Follow jPV's description there:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11378&forum=53&start=1
  • »01.12.15 - 23:45
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    drphil
    Really? Me too, Eastbourne is less than 30 minutes drive from where I am!

[ Edited by drphil 02.12.2015 - 13:32 ]

• »02.12.15 - 00:31
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    drphil
    Quote:

Follow jPV's description there:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11378&forum=53&start=1

I keep getting "full screen is unavailable"

• »02.12.15 - 00:48