Best graphics card for PowerMac G5 1.6 (No PCI-X), MorphOS 3
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Sergio
    Quote:

Sergio wrote:
    Thanks, I'll try that and let you know

No luck. I copied the "Radeon" file to MOSSYS:Devs/Monitors after renaming the standard one to Radeon.old. It doesn't have any tooltypes, but I checked the Radeon.old info and none were active anyway. Should I move Radeon.old somewhere else?
  • »23.12.15 - 16:29
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Sergio wrote:
    Should I move Radeon.old somewhere else?

Well, yeah. Otherwise you risk it getting run before the new driver.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »23.12.15 - 16:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Sergio
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Well, yeah. Otherwise you risk it getting run before the new driver.

I moved it to MOSSYS:Devs/Monitors/old/

Still no luck. The 9600 works, the x1950 doesn't. I tried both DVI connectors.
    Could it be that the x1950 is trying to output a different resolution that my monitor can't handle?
    Or could it be that it doesn't get enough power from the powermac to display a picture but still enough to talk via AGP?

[ Edited by Sergio 23.12.2015 - 18:04 ]
  • »23.12.15 - 16:42
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Upon rechecking your PCIScan output, I see that the Radeon is missing a memory base, the one that contains the Radeon registers. That unfortunately makes it seem like that the G5 firmware is having problems mapping the PCI bases properly, and is not something that's an easy fix.

HAK previously mentioned that he's had problems if he's had other cards installed alongside his X1950, but worked fine without. Do you have any other cards installed?
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »24.12.15 - 07:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Sergio
    Quote:

HAK previously mentioned that he's had problems if he's had other cards installed alongside his X1950, but worked fine without. Do you have any other cards installed?

Yes and no... the only other 'card' in the Powermac is the airport express.

[EDIT]

I removed the Airport, but nothing changed.

[ Edited by Sergio 25.12.2015 - 21:54 ]
  • »24.12.15 - 08:05
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Sergio
    OK, let's try something different... and fail:

I have a PC X800Pro that I believe is in working condidition (I have no PC to make sure).
    It looks like this http://microdream.co.uk/ati-radeon-x800-pro-256mb-gddr3-agp-video-graphics-card.html#.Vrouz_nhCHs
    Try it in the G4 and it won't even boot (what a surprise, neither did the X1950GT:()
    Try it in the G5 and it is not listed in pciscan output (but MOS did boot)

There must be somthing I fail to understand in AGP magic...
    Should I try to reflash it?
  • »09.02.16 - 18:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have a PC X800Pro [...]. [...]
    > Try it in the G4 and it won't even boot (what a surprise, neither did the X1950GT:()
    > Try it in the G5 and it is not listed in pciscan output (but MOS did boot)

As is expected, see comment #34.
  • »09.02.16 - 22:48
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Sergio wrote:
    OK, let's try something different... and fail:

I have a PC X800Pro that I believe is in working condidition (I have no PC to make sure).
    It looks like this http://microdream.co.uk/ati-radeon-x800-pro-256mb-gddr3-agp-video-graphics-card.html#.Vrouz_nhCHs
    Try it in the G4 and it won't even boot (what a surprise, neither did the X1950GT:()
    Try it in the G5 and it is not listed in pciscan output (but MOS did boot)

There must be somthing I fail to understand in AGP magic...
    Should I try to reflash it?

There is no supported Mac rom for the X800Pro, so you can not re-flash it.
    An Apple X800XT would work in the G5 and is probably the best current option for this machine.

Very few Apple Radeon 9600 Pro cards will work in a G4.
    I have one on my desk now, a PC/Mac compatible PN 109-A7353-00.
    These, and the very earliest Mac 9600s will work, but they can be hard to locate.
    Most available 9800 are for the G5.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »09.02.16 - 23:34
    Kronos
    Got a PC/Mac combo 9800 with 256MB from eBay for about 25€ and it works without problem in the Quicksilver.

Sadly it lacks DualDVI so I can't use it with the 27".
  • »10.02.16 - 10:12
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Sergio
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I have a PC X800Pro [...]. [...]
    > Try it in the G4 and it won't even boot (what a surprise, neither did the X1950GT:()
    > Try it in the G5 and it is not listed in pciscan output (but MOS did boot)

As is expected, see comment #34.

Yes and no, I was kind of expecting the X800Pro/G5 to work.

so if I sum it up:

If it fits it won’t damage your system, but you can’t tell for sure it will even power up
    The powermac may display OF if the card ever had an apple version
    MOS might display something if Mac boot doesn’t (non-reflashed cards), but it really depends on your card’s exact ID (as seems to be my case)

Does it sound correct?
  • »10.02.16 - 12:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> As is expected, see comment #34.

> Yes and no, I was kind of expecting the X800Pro/G5 to work.

As I wrote in comment #34, only X1950/G5 combination works. X800Pro/G5 combination doesn't work because the feature relies on AtomBIOS, which is built into Radeon R500 and up*. X800 is R400-based.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=9888&start=38

> The powermac may display OF if the card ever had an apple version

OpenFirmware display requires actual PPC ROM (be it genuine or flashed) present in the actual graphics card.

> MOS might display something if Mac boot doesn’t (non-reflashed cards)

Yes, with R500-based AGP graphics card on G5.

> but it really depends on your card’s exact ID

It depends primarily on the presence of AtomBIOS*.

Edit: * While early AtomBIOS versions came already somewhen during R400 series, the MorphOS AtomBIOS parser seems to require the newer AtomBIOS versions that started with the R500 series.

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 19.01.2021 - 00:54 ]
  • »10.02.16 - 13:59
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Sergio
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

As I wrote in comment #34, only X1950/G5 combination works. X800Pro/G5 combination doesn't work because the feature relies on AtomBIOS, which is built into Radeon R500 and up. X800 is R400-based.

But the x800Pro is listed in http://morphos.de/hardware and the X800XT, which was recommended in the present thread, is not R500-based.
    Then what is the real compatibility statement regarding R420?
  • »10.02.16 - 21:05
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    A PCIe X800Pro might work in a SAM460.
    The AGP version, as mentioned before, can not be flashed for OF compatibility because there is no compatible Mac rom for it.
    So it just will not work in a Mac.
    And I could be wrong, but while the Pegasos will take PC AGP cards, I don't think that card would work there because of the voltage provided by the Peg2's AGP slot.

Sorry if you were confused by the hardware support list.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »10.02.16 - 22:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the x800Pro is listed in http://morphos.de/hardware

Yes, but it doesn't say an X800 Pro with x86 ROM will work in a PPC Mac, does it?

> the X800XT, which was recommended in the present thread, is not R500-based.

At that point the discussion wasn't about x86 ROM graphics cards. The X800XT with PPC ROM will work in a G5 Mac, of course.
  • »10.02.16 - 23:35