MorphOS on two hardrive booting problem
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    rlitt01
    Last night, I remove my gentoo installation and installed MorphOS on my G5. Now having MorphOS installed on two hardrives. After setting up my enviroment. I rebooted again using ALT in the GUI boot selector to use my second hard drive. Well some unexpected thing happen. Instead booting to my second hardrive. I was once again in my first hard drive enviroment. Not the results I was looking for :). So, I found HDConfig in the tools directory played with it a bit. Then rebooted and I was in my second hard drive OS setting things up. Everytime I want to use another hardrive I have to change the hardrive that has the boot partition(using HDConfig). Is there a cleaner way to do this?

Thanks
    Powermac G5(A1047) 2.3GHz Registered MorphOS
    Powerbook G4 PowerBook5,8 1.6GHz Registered MorphOS
    Powermac G5(A1047) 2.0GHz Registered MorphOS
    Icaros Desktop 3.0GHz
  • »09.11.15 - 19:18
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    1)

I assume you have HFS partition on both drives for boot images and also MorphOS system partitions on both too. You should keep both system partitions bootable (flag in HDConfig), but edit the bootinfo.txt file on the HFS partition to match the system partition device name on that HD. And remember to run "HFSSetMacBoot Boot:bootinfo.txt" command in the shell after every edit of the bootinfo.txt file!

For example, if you have DH0 (HFS partition) and DH1 (SFS partition) on the disk 1:
    - Add BD=DH1 to the boot-script line of DH0:bootinfo.txt
    - Run in the shell: HFSSetMacBoot DH0:bootinfo.txt

And if you have another HD partitioned for example like DH5 (HFS partition) and DH6 (SFS partition):
    - Add BD=DH6 to the boot-script line of DH5:bootinfo.txt
    - Run in the shell: HFSSetMacBoot DH5:bootinfo.txt

I think that should do the job and then you can boot either of the HD from the Alt key bootmenu. Unless there is some bug on using several HDs somewhere...

If you want to make it even cooler, you can edit the small butterfly gfx in the bootinfo.txt file to contain something to recognize which partition it is ;) I've added numbers there on the empty space :) But remember the HFSSetMacBoot again!

2)

If you don't want to have two HFS partitions, you might be able to select the boot device from MorphOS's early startup menu. But you have to boot the system with BM option for boot.img or press lmb or F1 keys when booting. You have to be sure that both installations are the same version then.

3)

And third option which comes in my mind, is to create a boot menu with Bootcreator program, then you can have just one HFS partition, but you get into the menu always which can be annoying too.
  • »10.11.15 - 06:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    4)

Change boot.device in OF
    boot-device hd:boot.img bd=dh1 ramdebug

G5 will now automatically boot from dh1

When you use alt key bootmenu, you choice start from dh6

5)

Pendrive like boot switch
    With pendrive in usb , G5 start from first Morphos.
    Without pendrive , second system

Are you interested in this method?

[ Edited by Norbi 11.11.2015 - 09:13 ]
  • »11.11.15 - 08:12
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    rlitt01
    All were noble choices but I just sticked with the K.I.S.S(keep it stupid simple) method. Edit the bootinfo.txt. ADDING my partition I want to boot. After changing the settings running HFSSetMacBoot Boot:bootinfo.txt. This method reminds me of grub. On my other G5, I used a Pendrive which I'm already familiar with but forgot about this method. Many Thanks!
    Powermac G5(A1047) 2.3GHz Registered MorphOS
    Powerbook G4 PowerBook5,8 1.6GHz Registered MorphOS
    Powermac G5(A1047) 2.0GHz Registered MorphOS
    Icaros Desktop 3.0GHz
  • »30.11.15 - 19:59