MorphOS - better or worse if there were no AmigaOS4 anymore?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Andreas_Wolf

You are right. English isn't my first language so I blame my misunderstanding on that :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »04.11.15 - 14:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    @Andreas:

Ok... I don't want to waste more words to this topic.
    We should have positive feelings about the world, becuase the negative ones make us sick! ;)

[ Edited by deka 04.11.2015 - 16:19 ]
  • »04.11.15 - 14:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @deka

I think a lot of people stay for the popcorn :-) The infighting is sometimes annoying, but they are also sometimes pretty entertaining too.

My MorphOS blog
  • »04.11.15 - 14:22
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @deka

I think a lot of people stay for the popcorn :-) The infighting is sometimes annoying, but they are also sometimes pretty entertaining too.

Was that infighting?
  • »04.11.15 - 14:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @deka

I meant in the broader Amiga community. People never argued like this about if the A600 was a better Amiga than the A1200 or if the CD32 was a real Amiga or not.

My MorphOS blog
  • »04.11.15 - 14:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    As happy user of Morphos and Amiga Os 4 I have to say:

Morphos is only little better than Amiga Os 4. Both os are very outdated.

Both main features are running on non-pc, integration with 68k software, mui.

There is no feature in Morphos worth resignation from Amiga Os 4.

Great advantage which Amiga Os 4 has over Morphos is it run in WinUAE.

Soft made for Amiga Os 4 will be able to run even when last mac stop working.
  • »04.11.15 - 16:22
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

MUI4 is closed source, so the real question is the one I already linked to: Did they get 2006 MUI4 source code from Stuntz (or whoever) or did they completely reverse-engineer it? None of these two possibilities would be illegal per se.

Some people were given MUI CVS access to port MUI3.9, more than a decade ago.
    As you may know, having access to a CVS file means you get access to all its versions. Past, present and future...
  • »04.11.15 - 19:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Some people were given MUI CVS access to port MUI3.9, more than a decade ago. [...] having
    > access to a CVS file means you get access to all its versions. Past, present and future...

Thanks for the clarification.
  • »04.11.15 - 20:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    If they got the code to port 3.9, where does 4.0 comes into the picture? It sounds to me then that they had access to the 4.0 beta, but where not allowed to use it but did anyway.

Am I correct?

My MorphOS blog
  • »04.11.15 - 21:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I personally dont give a crap about OS4. Yes its needed for one thing only, competition. Just like some or a few stated, if OS4 disappeared, you wouldnt have a mass exodus from it to MorphOS and vice versa. I wouldnt because the hardware is overpriced and underpowered.
  • »04.11.15 - 21:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    Just like some or a few stated, if OS4 disappeared, you wouldnt have a mass exodus from it to MorphOS and vice versa. I wouldnt because the hardware is overpriced and underpowered.

I feel that most of the OS4 users have other machines (mostly Windows or OSX) as their main computers, and they mostly buy/talk OS4 systems for support for the name and because of some day dreams that they'd one day actually use it instead of their mainstream system. So, my bet is that if OS4 disappears, they'd just continue using what they've actually been using until now too, and yes, still wouldn't care about MorphOS, because of the name.

Of course same applies partly to MorphOS too, but not in that extent at all, IMHO. MorphOS is almost completely bought with usage in mind and not with name worshipping. If MorphOS would disappear and OS4 would keep evolving to better than MorphOS ever was and usability value would turn around, I'd very likely go that other route then.

[ Edited by jPV 05.11.2015 - 08:30 ]
  • »05.11.15 - 05:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fransexy
    And if MorphOS disppears? better or worse for Amiga community?. Never is a clear image of the situation if you do not ask at the two sides of the question
  • »05.11.15 - 20:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    The no question in fact, because both exists, the users are not the same, Os4 fans invest money actively into everything they want, even if it's vapor, Os4 users are not more rich for many of them but they think that it's the price of the boingball :-)
    For me i prefer Morphos, it's because it was the first amigaos child in powerpc. I consider Morphos as a real AmigaOS but more stable more efficient and i imagine that MorphosNg will be excellent.
    I have many friends which uses the both operating systems, many of them prefer Morphos,but the some of them prefer Os4. I like also morphos cause some mens which i consider as friends are in the Mosteam. Some coders says that debbuging is easier on Os4 but they also sayed that morphos is more advanced in many things.
    For me whith Os4 was not the right question, whitout hyperion was the better one. They do nothing real they just hype, like timberwolf,gallium,smp,memory protection,libreoffice....many of Os4 developpers and programmers i know are sure that hyperion want all the glory for them but they are just vapor.

[ Edited by acepeg 05.11.2015 - 23:08 ]
  • »05.11.15 - 21:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > For me whith Os4 was not the right question, whitout hyperion was the better one.
    > They do nothing real they just hype, like timberwolf, [...] libreoffice....

These are not Hyperion projects.
  • »05.11.15 - 21:23
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    Quote:

Fransexy wrote:
    And if MorphOS disppears? better or worse for Amiga community?. Never is a clear image of the situation if you do not ask at the two sides of the question

Well, the community would be a lot smaller, if MorphOS disappears. I don't think the community would be smaller if OS4.x disappears, people would still be using their classic hardware. I would have left the community a long time ago. For me, MorphOS has much more to offer than OS4.x.
  • »05.11.15 - 22:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Fransexy wrote:

I wouldnt switch to OS4 because of my previous reasons. I dont know what would happen to OS4, I dont know how far along its come or what it can/cant do vs MorphOS since I dont go looking for OS4 info. I'm assuming it would surpass MorphOS but for how long, nobody knows. How relevant will any of these OS's be? Will they be developed for another 5,10,20 years or fade into obscurity since its closed source? I hardly ever use my MorphOS machine, but come to MZ frequently just in case something good pops up software or hardware wise.

I will tell you something though..I cant wait to install Tower 57 on my MorphOS box!!!
  • »05.11.15 - 22:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Fransexy wrote:

I would give almost the exact same answer as I did for OS4.

What would happen to OS4.x if there were no MorphOS? In 2015?

Nothing. No change.

There is a small number of users who use both, but for the most start people who use one side aren't much interested in the other side.

Speaking personally, if MorphOS disappeared and everything else being equal, I would not buy an OS4 system. I may watch AROS a little closer than I do now, but I wouldn't suddenly want a staggeringly expensive niche system.

[ Edited by redrumloa 05.11.2015 - 20:32 ]
  • »06.11.15 - 00:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I think that if one side would disappear a lot of users on the winning side would gloat. To exess.

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.11.15 - 06:30
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Fransexy wrote:
    And if MorphOS disppears? better or worse for Amiga community?.

I don't know is it better or worse, but I think it doesn't matter anymore, because I get back to Linux/BSD/maybe AROS/anything else. (Not to OS4)
  • »06.11.15 - 08:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Quote:

I don't know is it better or worse, but I think it doesn't matter anymore, because I get back to Linux/BSD/maybe AROS/anything else. (Not to OS4)

Heh, I will keep using MorphOS the very same way Classic users keep using WB 3.1, 20+ years after it was released. Even if the developers quit and throw away the code you can still use MorphOS just like today :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.11.15 - 12:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Quote:

Heh, I will keep using MorphOS the very same way Classic users keep using WB 3.1, 20+ years after it was released. Even if the developers quit and throw away the code you can still use MorphOS just like today :-)

+1 :)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »06.11.15 - 13:32
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Even if the developers quit and throw away the code you can still use MorphOS just like today :-)

Yeah... but
    1: Our machines getting outdated day to day. MOS NG is vital, to have a system, which is fast and healthy. These Mac-s will not live forever.
    2: If the MOS dev. team quits, probably there will hardly appear any new app since they are the main app developers too. There will be no sense to stay (and s..ck without modern applications) anymore. Most of the MOS users don't use their machines for every day tasks today. Why should they have their machine anymore? Maybe, just for nostalgic reasons...
  • »06.11.15 - 13:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @deka

1. True, and I'm all for an ISA shift. The sooner the better. But considering that a lot of original Amigas are still up and running 20-30 yars after being made we don't have to exptect that every PPC Macs will suddenly just become useless.

2. I don't know if they are the main app developers too. Apps are being written, even though you at least get the impression that the AOS 4 guys are better at it. And I use my Mac Mini as my main machine. Because I can. But I'm probably in the minority there :-)

And why is "nostalgic reason" a bad reason? It works for a lot of Amigans in general.

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.11.15 - 14:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    @Yasu:

I think MOS and a classic Amiga is a slightly different thing, since
    1: Mos has much less programs
    2: It is created to be modern and usable for current tasks.

If it becomes outdated, it is very questionable the sense of it.

Btw, I also use a PB for everyday (home) computing. ;)
  • »06.11.15 - 14:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @deka

1: True, but a lot of of useful classic programs works just fine.
    2: Just like the original Amiga. People find their own reason to stick with outdated things. I think it will be the same with MorphOS, but probably on a much smaller scale. Some people still use BeOS and OS/2 for pretty much the same reasons.

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.11.15 - 15:07
    Profile Visit Website