MorphOS - better or worse if there were no AmigaOS4 anymore?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    > old PPC software [...] certainly will not run with simple recompilation. So it is
    > [...] a [...] strategy [...] different to Aros who want sourcecode compatibility

Geit is of different opinion:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=11382&start=51

they want to add 64bit, SMP and MP without changing the API?
  • »10.11.15 - 15:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> old PPC software [...] certainly will not run with simple recompilation. So it is
    >>> [...] a [...] strategy [...] different to Aros who want sourcecode compatibility

>> Geit is of different opinion:
    >> https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=11382&start=51

> they want to add 64bit, SMP and MP without changing the API?

No, what he says is that the API change won't entail source code incompatibility, so that "most of the stuff will require more or less just a recompile".
  • »10.11.15 - 16:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    >>> old PPC software [...] certainly will not run with simple recompilation. So it is
    >>> [...] a [...] strategy [...] different to Aros who want sourcecode compatibility

>> Geit is of different opinion:
    >> https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=11382&start=51

> they want to add 64bit, SMP and MP without changing the API?

No, what he says is that the API change won't entail source code incompatibility, so that "most of the stuff will require more or less just a recompile".

interesting... I thought those changes would not be possible without breaking heavy API changes
  • »10.11.15 - 16:45
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    +Eleventy1 to that Red.

I guess some people must have empty lives so they feel a deep need to belong to something bigger than themselves. Careers and kids usually suffice.

no, its just an hobby. maybe not for you. thatswhy i understand your point of view and argumentation. its totally legit. But dont be suprized that i have a different view. You don't care about community and commitment etc. but others do. Its just quite interesting that people like you are nonetheless so passionate when it comes to criticizing OS4... seems like there is still some kind of anger and trauma from way back when you were still "real" users caring about the community, lol

Empty life? Ok you wanna start with assumptions and speculation?
    Maybe you're just a hurt little kid, telling everybody all this doesnt matter. And maybe all you do is just reactionary to OS4. It seems like you don't have a real stance when it comes to using morphos. All you do and say is mostly OS4 motivated. As i said, people like you need OS4, because that is what gives you a meaning in using MorphOS. And now dont tell me that you dont feel better and greater when you look down to those pathetic OS4 users. This elite habit and arrogance is a big problem in our community. But hey not you, right?

If its not about Amiga, community and the passion, why use MorphOS in the first place? Just switch to any other operating system. There are tons of better products out there which can do everything better than MorphOS. They are cheaper, safer, uptodate, faster, more hardware, more software and better supported.

Using a niche system with so much disadvantages and then saying it's all about the product, leads me to saying that i cant take you serious. You must be out of your mind to seriously use morphos only considered as a product. Where is the benefit of this product? What does morphos as a product offer you thats any better than what OS X, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, etc has to offer? Where does it stand out?

oh and dont put any words in my mouth. i never said that everybody has to commit himself to a community or a greater goal. I say that people should stop wasting their energy in everything OS4 related and instead put some of that into community work. Everybody would win, if we gather more users and put out some good documentation and howtos. I think even somebody like you understands this basic concept of community. i never said that we have to be like a family and love each other, blah blah...
    Still funny that you're so passionate when it comes to OS4 bashing, but when its about MorphOS its just a product.

[ Edited by Cego 10.11.2015 - 18:25 ]
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »10.11.15 - 18:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    +Eleventy1 to that Red.

I guess some people must have empty lives so they feel a deep need to belong to something bigger than themselves. Careers and kids usually suffice.

no, its just an hobby. maybe not for you. thatswhy i understand your point of view and argumentation. its totally legit. But dont be suprized that i have a different view. You don't care about community and commitment etc. but others do. Its just quite interesting that people like you are nonetheless so passionate when it comes to criticizing OS4... seems like there is still some kind of anger and trauma from way back when you were still "real" users caring about the community, lol

Empty life? Ok you wanna start with assumptions and speculation?
    Maybe you're just a hurt little kid, telling everybody all this doesnt matter. And maybe all you do is just reactionary to OS4. It seems like you don't have a real stance when it comes to using morphos. All you do and say is mostly OS4 motivated. As i said, people like you need OS4, because that is what gives you a meaning in using MorphOS. And now dont tell me that you dont feel better and greater when you look down to those pathetic OS4 users. This elite habit and arrogance is a big problem in our community. But hey not you, right?

If its not about Amiga, community and the passion, why use MorphOS in the first place? Just switch to any other operating system. There are tons of better products out there which can do everything better than MorphOS. They are cheaper, safer, uptodate, faster, more hardware, more software and better supported.

Using a niche system with so much disadvantages and then saying it's all about the product, leads me to saying that i cant take you serious. You must be out of your mind to seriously use morphos only considered as a product. Where is the benefit of this product? What does morphos as a product offer you thats any better than what OS X, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, etc has to offer? Where does it stand out?

oh and dont put any words in my mouth. i never said that everybody has to commit himself to a community or a greater goal. I say that people should stop wasting their energy in everything OS4 related and instead put some of that into community work. Everybody would win, if we gather more users and put out some good documentation and howtos. I think even somebody like you understands this basic concept of community. Yeah, i know. you're so passionate when it comes to OS4 bashing, but when its about MorphOS its just a product.

Like I said "emotionally unstable halfwits".

See my signature, see your signature.

I have used OS4 for longer than I've used MorphOS, my closest friend who is " Uncle " to my children is one of the OS4 developers.

You come here insulting people who don't share your fetish and rant and rave incoherently based on false assumptions that you conjour up out of thin air to support your fantasies.

I have an autistic child with more refined social skills.

As Gandhi said "Be the change you want to see."

[ Edited by Intuition 10.11.2015 - 18:36 ]
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »10.11.15 - 18:34
    Cego
    mr gandhi:

i'm so sorry. please forgive me and enlighten me with your light!

i was so wrong stating that a lot of morphos users are arrogant, that we lack support for newbies, that we mainly discuss OS4 related topics and that people won't accept criticism towards themselves here.
    But it seems that you only read and filter my harsh words!!! For that i really apologize. Now i feel so bad and full of shit that i couldnt make you and others relate to my statements instead of bad words.

But to be honest, i just give it back to others, i'd never started things like that and mr gandhi, please... i'm not the one who started insulting and bashing users, developers of other platforms on this site. This has a long history and people like to keep that habit alive in here for a long time. I'm done with that and if you'd really be interested in understanding my point you would see that what i say is a generel perception and not limited to individuals here.

Go and tell those other people who are so passionate in bashing and trolling about OS4 that they have some mental problems and some major issues. They are the ones who cant relax and enjoy using a niche system with all its flaws and mistakes. If all this is so unimportant and just a product then why invest so much time in all those topics? it's so paradoxical. It makes no sense at all...

I don't see morphos as something big in my life or a huge part of it. I just enjoy it as a system in my free time and would like to see some more activity and help in here, especially towards newbies. Why can't all those other people constantly hating os4 enjoy it too and share those ideas? i'm absolutely ok if people are fine with just using it, but not when they at the same time start hating and bashing OS4. i cant and i wont respect such users. live and let live. ever heard of that? you're mr gandhi, you probably did...
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »10.11.15 - 19:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    i'm absolutely ok if people are fine with just using it, but not when they at the same time start hating and bashing OS4. i cant and i wont respect such users. live and let live.

You still haven't pointed out anyone "hating and bashing OS4" in this thread.
  • »10.11.15 - 19:36
    Cego
    @red

it's not about this thread dude and its not only about you, get it?
  • »10.11.15 - 19:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I say that people should stop wasting their energy in everything OS4 related

Please stop bashing OS4 ;-)
  • »10.11.15 - 21:11
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Hey Guys!

We should stop here...
    This kind of topics are simple waste of time, since not requesting/sharing any information wich has value.
    (Only excuse is, if you waste your working time... :)

We should use the time spent here to create something valuable... ;)
  • »12.11.15 - 09:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

deka wrote:
    Hey Guys!

We should stop here...
    This kind of topics are simple waste of time, since not requesting/sharing any information wich has value.
    (Only excuse is, if you waste your working time... :)

We should use the time spent here to create something valuable... ;)

+1
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »12.11.15 - 10:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    This thread should have been deleted before any replies were written, IMO.

I shouldn't (and won't in the future) test the current posters on this forum site, by starting useless threads like this again.

My apologies for this time wasting thread.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »14.11.15 - 02:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @amigadave

No. It's not your fault things spired out of control.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »14.11.15 - 07:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @amigadave

No. It's not your fault things spired out of control.

+1
  • »16.11.15 - 16:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>>>> old PPC software [...] certainly will not run with simple recompilation. So it is
    >>>>> [...] a [...] strategy [...] different to Aros who want sourcecode compatibility

>>>> Geit is of different opinion:
    >>>> https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=11382&start=51

>>> they want to add 64bit, SMP and MP without changing the API?

>> No, what he says is that the API change won't entail source code incompatibility,
    >> so that "most of the stuff will require more or less just a recompile".

> interesting... I thought those changes would not be possible without breaking
    > heavy API changes

Sounds somewhat different now than before:

http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/comments/294462.html
  • »12.01.16 - 23:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    shit.. I missed a fight.
  • »08.09.16 - 13:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

TheMagicM schrieb:
    shit.. I missed a fight.

It's never too late to stir it up again.
    Some things taste reheated even better ;-)
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »08.09.16 - 14:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    shit.. I missed a fight.

;) yeah, I get that.
    Funny, MorphOS users and developers get dragged into this stuff all the time by some OS4 users.
    And some of us have/use OS4, right David?

I'm SO sorry that I failed to conceal my opinion that I picked the better of the two OS'.
    But as I will receive a copy of OS4 with the purchase of an X5000, I promise
    I'll install it and play around with it.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »08.09.16 - 14:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MorphOS users and developers get dragged into this stuff all the time
    > by some OS4 users.

In this specific case, I guess whether you assess this statement as true depends on whom you believe :-)
  • »08.09.16 - 17:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

It's never too late to stir it up again.
    Some things taste reheated even better ;-)

LMAO!
  • »08.09.16 - 18:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > MorphOS users and developers get dragged into this stuff all the time
    > by some OS4 users.

In this specific case, I guess whether you assess this statement as true depends on whom you believe :-)

I'd prefer not to depend on beliefs or opinions.
    Those vary from person to person, facts do (or should) not.
  • »08.09.16 - 22:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> MorphOS users and developers get dragged into this stuff all the time
    >>> by some OS4 users.

>> In this specific case, I guess whether you assess this statement as
    >> true depends on whom you believe :-)

> I'd prefer not to depend on beliefs or opinions. Those vary from person
    > to person, facts do (or should) not.

So your statement may as well be false regarding this specific case. After all, we don't have enough facts.
  • »08.09.16 - 23:42
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >>> MorphOS users and developers get dragged into this stuff all the time
    >>> by some OS4 users.

>> In this specific case, I guess whether you assess this statement as
    >> true depends on whom you believe :-)

> I'd prefer not to depend on beliefs or opinions. Those vary from person
    > to person, facts do (or should) not.

So your statement may as well be false regarding this specific case. After all, we don't have enough facts.

Hey why not Andreas? Maybe, maybe not. Again, yet another issue with incomplete information.
  • »10.09.16 - 23:15