Yasu's MorphOS Blog
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Ginger1

Thanks :-) I plan to return one day. But first I need to finish this project and because of feature creep, it will take some time :-P

New WIP up, adding more colors (including MorphOS Icons own shade of blue). The cup turned out to need some more work on:

16386_New_Icons_Wip_2.jpg
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »18.09.16 - 10:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    @Yasu

No mate. A big, fat NO. You know that I admire your enthusiasm and followed your blog actively but this set of icons has absolutely nothing to do with the Amiga/MorphOS. The same goes for Papi's default icon set on Pack Ultimate. Hope someday we get a talented/dedicated user who will readjust the look and feel of MOS based on improving a classic Amigish icon set. Till then, hav to resort to OS4 icons :P
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »18.09.16 - 20:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Cool_amigaN

Critizism noted. But it doesn't change my taste for this style :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »18.09.16 - 21:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Another WIP. I'm not sure I like the result. Maybe I should try to find icons that match the different game genres, but I'm not sure if it will look good or be worth all the work. The idea is to have a clean set of icons where you can easily see what kind of games are in the folders. But the downside is that you will have a harder time navigating the different folders. On the other hand, if you do have different icons with all the different genres, then it will be very cluttered and hard to navigate through too.

Any ideas guys?

16397_Snap-1%20-%20899x1152x24.jpg

My MorphOS blog
  • »27.09.16 - 10:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:

Any ideas guys?

Maybe the idea of having graphical manifestations such as icons, is to use graphics to differentiate, and not text?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »27.09.16 - 18:53
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    I like the drawing style of your icons very much! But I doubt it will be necessary to have that many gaming category icons in MorphOS. ;) But then, different graphics for different categories would be best.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »27.09.16 - 20:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Yeah, the problem is the limited number of graphics I can use. And that I can't paint myself. But this really does seem like the wrong way to go.

My MorphOS blog
  • »27.09.16 - 21:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    @Yasu

No mate. A big, fat NO. You know that I admire your enthusiasm and followed your blog actively but this set of icons has absolutely nothing to do with the Amiga/MorphOS. The same goes for Papi's default icon set on Pack Ultimate. Hope someday we get a talented/dedicated user who will readjust the look and feel of MOS based on improving a classic Amigish icon set. Till then, hav to resort to OS4 icons :P

yeah i agree, it looks like some 10 years ago Gnome icon themes, very old fashionned. But if some like that then that's just fine. Keep up Yasu !
  • »28.09.16 - 12:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I didn't make the gfx, Mattahan did. I'm just rearranging them and try to make them MOS friendly.

My MorphOS blog
  • »28.09.16 - 12:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    I have to agree with the other two guys...

I like much more this kind of icons. A much cleaner design and suits well to the existing MOS data type icons.
  • »04.10.16 - 15:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @deka

I'm really not sure what to do with that sort of information. I don't like that style so I'm not interested in investing my time to make something like that for MorphOS. It boils down to taste.

"I don't like it because I don't like it" is not much of constructive critizism.

[ Edited by Yasu 04.10.2016 - 22:31 ]

My MorphOS blog
  • »04.10.16 - 18:31
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    @Yasu:

Don't get me wrong! ;) This is really the question of taste.
    I think, your icons are a bit old fashioned and contains a bit too much informations for me. Also reminds me to old Gnome icons.

What I prefer much more the simple but modern looking icons. My Screen is included in the previous post.
    These white icons suits well to the MOS icons and blue background.
    I have found these icons on the web, created for OSX.

Sorry, if I've hurt you. I know, that you're a really active MOS user and you did really the lot for the community.
  • »05.10.16 - 07:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Mattahan made these icons for Gnome so you are right about that. I myself am trying to make them MOS friendly but I'm stuck at the moment.

I like my icons to look lively, fun and also be useful in differenting the different contents. Today most folder icons don't tell me anything beyond being a folder which is a huge waste of potential. I have some ideas of how to correct that but since I can't draw for sh*t I can't do anything about that.

But I really don't like the flat, sterile and informationless icons that is so popular at the moment. It may be everywhere but it still look so boring.

Nah, I'm not hurt at all. Sorry if I gave that impression. I just can't please you if our tastes are so different.

My MorphOS blog
  • »05.10.16 - 08:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    But I really don't like the flat, sterile and informationless icons that is so popular at the moment. It may be everywhere but it still look so boring.

When you are in list mode and you look at scaled versions of folder icons, those flat and sterile icons really start to shine. While they might be preferrable in 64x64 sizes to some of us, angled perspectives and fancy color gradients really lose their appeal when they are scaled down to 20 by 20 pixels of mud.

Given that all of the noteworthy desktop operating systems feature file managers that offer a variety of list and icon modes these days, it is easier to understand the appeal of visually simpler, but ultimately more flexible icon designs.
  • »05.10.16 - 12:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @ASiegel

You may have a point there.

My MorphOS blog
  • »05.10.16 - 13:57
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    'While they might be preferrable in 64x64 sizes to some of us'

Or more bigger... I would love it!
    I mean, there are many really nice looking flat icon sets which are available in biger size. (256x256, ...)
    It could be really nice to have such big icons in Ambient. I know there is a mode (can't remember the name) on MOS which allows the old kind of working, but disables some modern features. It could be really good to have a modern desktop with unlimited icon size.

Example: http://apathae.deviantart.com/art/W-R-E-N-84310039

[ Edited by deka 05.10.2016 - 19:42 ]
  • »05.10.16 - 15:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

deka wrote:

I mean, there are many really nice looking flat icon sets which are available in biger size. (256x256, ...)
    It could be really nice to have such big icons in Ambient. I know there is a mode (can't remember the name) on MOS which allows the old kind of working, but disables some modern features. It could be really good to have a modern desktop with unlimited icon size.

Example: http://apathae.deviantart.com/art/W-R-E-N-84310039

Oooooh, I like the bolted together look of those folder icons, and I also like the idea of having an icon set of larger icons, specially for use when using a huge monitor, or large screen TV screen as your MorphOS display, which I have sometimes done, like at the Amiga30 event in Mountain View, California, and the 2015 AmiWest Show, when I used a 37-inch wide screen LCD TV, as my display monitor.

I also agree with others in this thread who have indicated that icons should be graphically different visually, and not depend on only alternate colors, and text to differentiate them from each other. Specially game icons, I think they should express some part of the game they are linked to, instead of the same folder and joystick icon used over and over again, with just the text name changed.

Still, I have to give Yasu credit for doing something, even if I would not use his modified icons myself, as it is time consuming and tedious to work on icons, and I appreciate his efforts trying to make something new/better, and also taking the time to keep up his blog, which is often very helpful and informative.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »05.10.16 - 16:32
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

deka wrote:

Please consider that 256x256 icons require substantially more memory, which is limited, as well as disk space, which, for instance, increases loading times.
  • »05.10.16 - 17:24
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

deka wrote:

Please consider that 256x256 icons require substantially more memory, which is limited, as well as disk space, which, for instance, increases loading times.

That is true... but
    1. MOS is slowly moving into the direction of having faster HW with more memory.
    2. Let this decision to the users: If they want a faster working or cooler look, they should be able to decide.

Of course, the 64x64 icons are big enough for a usual dir structure... makes no sense to have all the icons bigger, but lets check for exmaple the Music folder. How cool could be a huuuge icon for the performers or for the albums. It doesn't look very well in 64x64. Imagine, that your favorit performer could be twice big, as the others are. Isn't a cool thing?
    Or a well designed huge starting icon for an app as it was possible on old Amigas. I think such things has a really cool feeling, what isn't there on any OS now. (At last, I haven't seen such thing yet)

Other usage could be the bigger drive icons/links on the desktop. I don't like the crowded desktops. It really makes sense to have bigger things on it.
  • »06.10.16 - 09:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    @Yasu,

I got a G4 MDD configured for a friend of mine at a local Amiga club. I referred him to your blog. Its going to be very helpful for him!

Thanks again!
  • »07.10.16 - 13:05
    Profile Visit Website