OT: The other side of the fence. OS4.1FE and WinUAE?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

It looks a bit like KennyR wrote above - Cloanto just don't give a shit.

Anyway, it looks like this is the latest example of using IP theft, copyright violation and piracy as a way to develop or improve or increase value or inrease marketability of OS4 and its peripheral packages.

:-(

I have to admit that I am a bit shocked. We've come to expect shady, unethical or outright illegal actions by HYPErion, but I always viewed Cloanto as one of the good players. I'm very surprised at this outright piracy in order to help OS4 sales.
  • »22.12.15 - 18:52
    Senex
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > they are freely available for download by individuals from Aminet

Are they?

This interpretation by TMHG points at the source of confusion: the freely available ROM updates. Going by the background information available to us at amiga-news.de, it seems that by a misunderstanding in 2014 Cloanto had to assume that the according licence had been granted as applied for, and thus acted in good faith!

That the ROM was licenced thus was also included in the documentation of Amiga Forever. Now that it has become clear that there seems to have been a misunderstanding, it might be a good mid-term measure of course to create an alternative solution in WinUAE for initializing the emulated Cyberstorm turboboard (given that the actual content of the ROM isn't really needed without the physical board), but for now it is good that the continued usage is tolerated.
  • »23.12.15 - 04:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    If Ralph sues them for infringement and gets their assets awarded to him as payment that would make him the legal owner of the Amiga operating system Workbench trademark.

"Amiga Workbench 4.0" has a nice ring to it for the version after next of MorphOS. ;)

Why are you trying to bring that curse down upon us?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »23.12.15 - 20:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    WOW... Cloanto..tsk tsk... such assholes.
  • »23.12.15 - 22:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    I'm quite sure I saw OS4FE_RC1 on WinUAE running in better than AGA GFX.

They are running PicassoIV emulation, which UAE can do these days. The UAEGFX driver doesn't work (yet?) from the PPC side to my knowledge.

Edit: sorry, it seems this was answered earlier in the thread. I seem to run the forum in some weird old reversed-order-setting which confuses the hell out of me, sometimes. :) Time to change it...

[ Edited by Chain-Q 24.12.2015 - 04:34 ]
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »24.12.15 - 03:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > With WinUAE-ppc you can have OS41FE but only 128 MB
    > (or use the other card model that have 256MB but is so slow so useless )

"the RAM restriction with BigRAM+ and ZorRAM is being lifted in the next release due any time. This will allow the BPPC and CSPPC versions to address more than just the RAM on the CPU cards. It will also do this for the WinUAE installs as a bonus."
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=815116

Screenshot:
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=815114
  • »12.10.16 - 15:55
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > With WinUAE-ppc you can have OS41FE but only 128 MB
    > (or use the other card model that have 256MB but is so slow so useless )

"the RAM restriction with BigRAM+ and ZorRAM is being lifted in the next release due any time. This will allow the BPPC and CSPPC versions to address more than just the RAM on the CPU cards. It will also do this for the WinUAE installs as a bonus."
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=815116

Well lookie there, a smart move by HYPE.
  • »12.10.16 - 17:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the source of confusion: the freely available ROM updates. [...] it might be a good
    > mid-term measure of course to create an alternative solution in WinUAE for initializing
    > the emulated Cyberstorm turboboard (given that the actual content of the ROM isn't
    > really needed without the physical board)

Apparently, such alternative solution isn't even needed as the ROM updates contain everything needed to create a full ROM file:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1118089
  • »13.11.16 - 10:02