Replacing the hard disc in MorphOS Power Mac that has a lice
  • Just looking around
    Symbola
    Hi, my 2nd question… MorphOS is new to me :)

I got a Power Mac off EBay without a hard disc, I have just fitted an old one I had lying around. If I purchase a licence key with this hard disc, can I fit a newer bigger hard disc at a later date without affecting the licence? I ask as I'm not sure what hardware the licence is tied to…

also, do SSD drives give any advantage speed wise? (in a Power Mac)
  • »23.09.15 - 19:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Yes, you can change the hdds.
    The licence key is bound to the MAC address of the ethernet controller.
    You can copy the whole sytem or just the key from one partiton to another.
    regards
    eliot
  • »23.09.15 - 19:57
  • Just looking around
    Symbola
    Quote:

eliot wrote:
    Yes, you can change the hdds.
    The licence key is bound to the MAC address of the ethernet controller.
    You can copy the whole sytem or just the key from one partiton to another.

Thanks eliot, just purchased a MorphOS licence... exciting :)
  • »23.09.15 - 20:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    An SSD gives you a huge speed boost. Especially when there is still the original apple drive inside.
  • »23.09.15 - 20:58
  • Just looking around
    Symbola
    Quote:

geit wrote:

An SSD gives you a huge speed boost. Especially when there is still the original apple drive inside.

Thanks geit, next purchase will be a SSD drive :)
  • »23.09.15 - 21:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Make sure it is a SanDIsk SSD. Other SATA Models may not be compatible with a G5 or your IDE Adapter, depending on the Mac model you own.

Do not buy an IDE SSD. They are expensive, slow and using old tech.
  • »24.09.15 - 10:56
  • Just looking around
    Desktop-Dynamite
    "Make sure it is a SanDIsk SSD. Other SATA Models may not be compatible with a G5 or your IDE Adapter, depending on the Mac model you own.

Do not buy an IDE SSD. They are expensive, slow and using old tech."

Hi regarding this thread, I have an ibook g4 [14 inch- 1055]. I was actually thinking into buying an IDE SSD instead, can I fit a SATA SSD instead of IDE SSD for my ibook?

Thanks
  • »08.10.15 - 01:55
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Desktop-Dynamite wrote:
    "Make sure it is a SanDIsk SSD. Other SATA Models may not be compatible with a G5 or your IDE Adapter, depending on the Mac model you own.

Hi regarding this thread, I have an ibook g4 [14 inch- 1055]. I was actually thinking into buying an IDE SSD instead, can I fit a SATA SSD instead of IDE SSD for my ibook?

In that case you need a 2.5" IDE to mSATA adapter and a mSATA SSD.

I suggest to go for a quality Delock version of the adapter, as the cheap versions seem to overheat (you can be lucky, but who knows.) depending on the model.

Avoid those 10€ thingies to save money. In the end you pay twice. The only thing you need to know beside is that there are two mSATA voltages (3V and 5V) and you need a matching pair of adapter and MSATA card.
  • »08.10.15 - 08:51
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    drphil
    Quote:

Make sure it is a SanDIsk SSD. Other SATA Models may not be compatible with a G5 or your IDE Adapter, depending on the Mac model you own.

What other brands of SSD are compatible with the G5?
    1.6Ghz PowerMac G5, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, MorphOS 3.9.

Why make life difficult when with a bit of effort you can make it impossible
  • »30.11.15 - 22:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    Quote:

Desktop-Dynamite wrote:

In that case you need a 2.5" IDE to mSATA adapter and a mSATA SSD.

I suggest to go for a quality Delock version of the adapter, as the cheap versions seem to overheat (you can be lucky, but who knows.) depending on the model.

Avoid those 10€ thingies to save money. In the end you pay twice. The only thing you need to know beside is that there are two mSATA voltages (3V and 5V) and you need a matching pair of adapter and MSATA card.

I've been using a cheapo Chinese adapter with a Crucial mSATA SSD in my PowerBook G4 for a couple of years. While the performance is adequate it's not exactly amazing so I'm thinking perhaps it's the adapter that is the bottleneck, do you suggest I buy a different adapter?

I've never heard of Delock before and a quick Google didn't find many for sale in the UK. Do you recommend any other brand?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »30.11.15 - 23:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

geit wrote:

I hope SanDisk is not the only brand that is compatible with G5 PowerMacs, as I just ordered 2 SSD's and neither of them are SanDisk brand.

I ordered an 480gb SSD from OCZ whi ch I am going to install in my desktop Windows PC, and a 128gb SSD for my G5 that is made by Transcend.

It should arrive by Friday, or Saturday, so I should know if it works by the end of this weekend.

I also want to replace the hdd in my G4 PowerBook with a SSD. If any of you could post the exact parts you use and are known to work in the G4 PB, I will buy that, instead of possibly getting a cheap part that does not work. It must fit into the PowerBook drive bay where the current hdd is located.

[ Edited by amigadave 09.12.2015 - 16:37 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »10.12.15 - 00:33