Burning
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    What's the deal with burning on morph anyway? I spent all day with the fickle ffmpeg locking up, or incompleting, to finally compiling my mp4>mpg, got xml to set the TS only to have Jalapeno, and Frying pan fail to burn consecutively. I had to go to my HP laptop with the converted files, and drop them into img Burn to actually complete the burn process, which was done in around 8mins or so. Really annoying since I've done this several tmes before without this much hassle, and coastered DVDs
  • »20.09.15 - 02:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I also finds burning in MorphOS to be quite unreliable. For example, my Mac Mini has been able to burn CD-RW for forever and one day it simply decided to not work anymore. Same was with my Powermacs. Everyone claimed they burned successfully but every time all they did was erasing the CD-RW. Burning normal CD-R did not work either. It was the same with three Poermacs. Only my Ibook and Powerbook seems to work fine for some reason.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »20.09.15 - 03:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

xyphoid wrote:
    What's the deal with burning on morph anyway? I spent all day with the fickle ffmpeg locking up, or incompleting, to finally compiling my mp4>mpg, got xml to set the TS only to have Jalapeno, and Frying pan fail to burn consecutively. I had to go to my HP laptop with the converted files, and drop them into img Burn to actually complete the burn process, which was done in around 8mins or so. Really annoying since I've done this several tmes before without this much hassle, and coastered DVDs

Jalapeno has a log window - you can open it from the screen menu. Pasting the output from the burn process could help diagnose the issue. You can also try to run Jalapeno with a PRETEND argument to make it simulate the burning if you don't want to waste CDRs.

However, if both Jalapeno and Frying pan fail to work for you, it likely means the problem lies in hardware. How old is the burner?
  • »20.09.15 - 07:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pan1k
    I got Jalapeno on my MacMini to work by choosing the write speed. Settings -> Data Speed and try to find the highest number that works for you.
    MacMini 1.5Ghz / Amiga 4000T Cyberstorm 060, 132MB RAM, Cybervision 64/3D, XSurf-III, MP3@64, Buddha Flash / Amiga 1200 GVP 030, Subway USB, 32MB RAM
  • »20.09.15 - 14:55
    xyphoid
    @jacadcaps it failed under my USB drive as well. In fact it got further on the usb under frying pan (1/2 way)before failing. The internal drive is as old as the macmini is silent upgrade model. How do you set up a PRETEND argument?
    The burner works as I used it moments aga to burn a cd

@ Pan1k I was on the lowest settings.

I may reboot and try suggestions later if I get time. BTW jalapeƱo doesn't recognize USB burner.

[ Edited by xyphoid 20.09.2015 - 16:45 ]
  • »20.09.15 - 22:04
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Hm, can't say I got problems with Jalapeno on my 2 Powerbooks. On the contrary, I was quite surprised to see that Japaleno really accepts the burning speed chosen! :) I wasn't accustomed to that from my Linux burning experience.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »04.10.15 - 22:55
    xyphoid
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    Hm, can't say I got problems with Jalapeno on my 2 Powerbooks. On the contrary, I was quite surprised to see that Japaleno really accepts the burning speed chosen! :) I wasn't accustomed to that from my Linux burning experience.

Did you burn a DVD, or CD? yes it burns cds well. DVDs another story....and I just coastered another dvd recently. again finished the task on a wintop
  • »07.10.15 - 03:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Anyone using the original CD/DVD writers that came with their old Mac PPC hardware is begging for disappointment. They are flaky drives at best, and when they get that old, they are very unreliable.

This does not mean I have an opinion regarding the quality or reliability of either MorphOS burning program for CD's or DVD's. I have not used either of them enough to know how well they work.

[ Edited by amigadave 06.10.2015 - 21:43 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »07.10.15 - 06:42
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Anyone using the original CD/DVD writers that came with their old Mac PPC hardware is begging for disappointment. They are flaky drives at best, and when they get that old, they are very unreliable.

This does not mean I have an opinion regarding the quality or reliability of either MorphOS burning program for CD's or DVD's. I have not used either of them enough to know how well they work.

I guess I've been lucky, but I haven't had any problems with original Mac drives or Jalapeno. I've never had a coaster with them. I've burnt pretty many data CD/DVDs from ISO files and separate files from filesystem with Mac minis, Powerbook and iBook. Everything just works.

But if one has problems, I'm betting hw fault than software in most cases. Unless someone proves that OSX or some other Amiga burning software (MakeCD, FryingPan, etc) can succeed while Jalapeno wouldn't.

I've also ripped many audio CDs with Flacapella with the previously mentioned HW... no problems with that either.
  • »07.10.15 - 07:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I use Mini (silent upgrade), PB(1,67Ghz) and G5(2,3Ghz) - since MOS 3.8 I've no problems burning CD or DVD with stock drives.
    I'ts reported that older versions of MOS may(!) have problems with some drives.......
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »07.10.15 - 10:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I guess I've been lucky, but I haven't had any problems with original Mac drives or Jalapeno. I've never had a coaster with them. I've burnt pretty many data CD/DVDs from ISO files and separate files from filesystem with Mac minis, Powerbook and iBook. Everything just works.

But if one has problems, I'm betting hw fault than software in most cases. Unless someone proves that OSX or some other Amiga burning software (MakeCD, FryingPan, etc) can succeed while Jalapeno wouldn't.

I've also ripped many audio CDs with Flacapella with the previously mentioned HW... no problems with that either.

Congrats on your success rate! I agree that the problems with anyone burning CD's/DVD's is most likely hardware related, or lack of maintenance/cleaning of their drives.

I have bought and sold, or given away many PPC Mac computers over the last 10 years, and have had first hand knowledge of the frequency of problems with their optical drives, not only while running MorphOS, but also while running Mac OSX, so I am quite sure the problems I encountered were hardware related, or because the drive was not cleaned and dust was causing faults.

I have also heard from other users and some of my family members who have used Mac's for years regarding their problems with Mac optical drives, so I suspect that the brand they use is not the best quality, or most reliable.
  • »07.10.15 - 17:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Even my modern Intel Macs have terrible failure rates with optical drives. My PowerBook G4 is the only Mac I own that has a working original drive ironically. Can't say the same for any of my other Apple machines though.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »07.10.15 - 19:43
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

xyphoid schrieb:
    Did you burn a DVD, or CD? yes it burns cds well. DVDs another story....and I just coastered another dvd recently. again finished the task on a wintop

Several iso-images on DVD-RW and CD-RW media at different speeds.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »08.10.15 - 19:47
    xyphoid
    I'm happy for you all, but until you confirm burning movies....not iso, then I really don't care. The drive works well under macosx. The burning process fails under burning converted mpg to video files. As for the hardware, the usb drive also fails. so my hardware is still good for now. as stated, I can also burn files iso, and make cds whoopteedo!
  • »10.10.15 - 00:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

xyphoid wrote:
    I'm happy for you all, but until you confirm burning movies....not iso, then I really don't care. The drive works well under macosx. The burning process fails under burning converted mpg to video files. As for the hardware, the usb drive also fails. so my hardware is still good for now. as stated, I can also burn files iso, and make cds whoopteedo!

So from your message above, I assume that the burning process fails before it completes under the MorphOS programs Jalepeno and "Burnit" (or what ever the other burning software is called that you are attempting to use to burn CD's & DVD's), not that the burning process appears to complete properly and the CD/DVD that was created is not readable. Is this correct?

I will attempt to burn a movie file over this weekend to confirm my MorphOS systems can accomplish the task. I have not yet attempted to burn movie DVD's on any MorphOS system.
  • »10.10.15 - 08:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > "Burnit" (or what ever the other burning software is called that you are attempting
    > to use to burn CD's & DVD's)

Frying Pan according to the initial posting.
  • »10.10.15 - 12:28